Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc said no. It brings too much air into your stomach.

My doc says no, too, but I tried and found that it doesn't bother me at all. I'm three weeks out and it seems that I get more air when I sip directly from a cup than when using a straw, but I also hold straws pretty far back in my mouth so that may be the difference.

My doc saids no, and I don't miss them. They say that you can gauge how much you take in. ;)

My doctor didn't mention straws at all. I don't see how it increases the amount of air in your stomach. I think the extra air stays in your mouth.

My Nutritionist said no, but I was given them in the hospital. The nurses said the theory of getting in more air was ridiculous. My doctor wasn't overly concerned one way or another as long as I drank and was comfortable. I have used straws literally since the first hour and it's almost been 2 years for me.

I was told no straws. It isn't a big deal for me not to use them, so I am doing as told.

I've been using a straw since about my first week out. I have several of those plastic "to go" cups that are re-usable and they are how I get my fluids. I find it is easier to pick it up and take a sip through the straw then it is to unscrew a bottle. For some reason drinking out of a glass still just doens't work for me. I haven't talked with my doctor about this yet, but next week when I see him I will.

I was told no straws and was very bothered by this. For 2 or 3 years now I have been drinking about 64 ounces of Water a day. I drank it through my own bottle so I would not waste plastic in the landfill. I know I am not getting enough water in, and that bothers me. I tried a straw for a couple of days and did okay, but now for the last two days, when I used a straw I want to vomit.

I was given straws in the hospital and they don't effect me. No extra air comes in my stomach, well except for the one time I pulled my straw out of my shake and tried to suck the remnants out lol.

My surgeon told me that straws were just fine. I used them and didnt have any issues with extra gas in my tummy, it actually made drinking easier. i think this is an individual issue, if it works for you then its okay but if it gives you too much gas then you know it's not for you. Some issues arent for everyone, it's a caution. I think people need to figure out the rules that are actually beneficial to their sleeve and use their own discretion on the other rules. There are so many variations to these diets, everything doesnt work for everyone.

Went to my 6 week fallow up and the PA said that if I wasn’t having any gas issues or pain or losing control of how much I was taking in with a straw then it would be OK for me to use them. Shea it looks like you are right this is one more of those you have to try it for yourself sleeve things to really know.

Can we use straws? It has helped me with the small sips, is this a big no no?

I was told by my dr that using straws is a big no-no because it fills your little stomach with air. I don't know about you - but I had enough gas after surgery without adding more. Hope this helps! Much success!

I don't thinl there's a right or wrong answers to this. It uncomfortable to some people and doesn't effect others. Some docs say no some say its ok. I really think it all depends in what school of thought they were taught. Plus VSG is relatively new so I'm sure there were a lot of restrictions from other WLS's carried over. I would say try it. If it hurts you don't use straws.

I don't thinl there's a right or wrong answers to this. It uncomfortable to some people and doesn't effect others. Some docs say no some say its ok. I really think it all depends in what school of thought they were taught. Plus VSG is relatively new so I'm sure there were a lot of restrictions from other WLS's carried over. I would say try it. If it hurts you don't use straws.