Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Yr Out, Starving, Even After A Protein Shake, Help?

Me too!! I do have quite a few Snacks throughout the day. One question is how many cals are u eating? One thing that surprises me is that people who are a yr out and have lost 100 plus lbs and only have under 30 to lose are still eating 800-1000 calories. That is not healthy. Because we were so big before 800 was reasonable for a few months but after that you need to up them. I track on myfitnesspal.com. my sw was 304 and I am at 152 with a goal of 140. When I was stil eating 1200 calories I stalled. Everyone said to up them and I did. To about 1400 -1600 depending on if I worked out that day. And it works!! I've been losing steadily again. When we lose the weight our bodies need more fuel because our metabolism starts working more. I know its crazy but snacking more has helped me lose more. And not Cookies and ice cream everyday although I will indulge once in awhile. But good healthy snacks. I get almost 84 grams of Protein without all the nasty shakes. Real whole foods.

me again - end of 1rst paragraph- i meant to say "why I couldn't DRINK" 45-60 minutes before i ate. (not eat) ooops

kathy

I have no problem with drinking anytime right up to my meal. It just goes straight through. After I eat is a different story.

Are you diabetic? I know it sounds crazy but I was diagnosed as an insulin resistant diabetic and what you're describing sounds exactly like how I felt prior to my surgery, before my diabetes went away. I'm still insulin resistant, though, and if I eat a certain quantity of starchy carbs I will feel hungry within a short time after my meal - not just "feeling" hungry but actual stomach growling and a nagging feeling that I must eat. From what I've read, this is the insulin resistance at work. This is the ONLY time I ever feel actual hunger post op, so I have to stick to a diet that keeps this away. I use The Insulin-Resistance Diet by Cheryle Hart, and despite the fact that I was highly skeptical of food combining diets in the past, it seems to work for me.

When you see your doc next month make sure your acid reducer is enough. You may be one of the unlucky few that needs a higher dose for a longer period of time.

And snack ideas that fill me up between meals are pieces of Jerky, Protein bars (I can only eat 1/3 at a time), hardboiled eggs (I keep a bowl in the fridge at all times) and soy crisps. I figure if I'm going to snack, I should at least be getting some Protein at the same time! You can also try making your Protein shakes thicker - I double up the protein in mine and blend them with ice if I need something more filling. Also, making your morning shake one with coffee (assuming you partake) will help control your appetite, too.

Good luck. Please post if you discover something at the doctor to help this as I'm sure others would benefit.

~Cheri

i know this post was started a while ago so not sure if anyone will read this but just wanted to let you know if you are hungry and its been 3-4 hours since your last meal.. that is normal, u are supposed to eat every 4 hours to get in 6 meals a day.. 3 normal meals and 3 Snacks.

if you are hungry in say an hour i understand thats a little different. but just wanted to put that out there.

i know this post was started a while ago so not sure if anyone will read this but just wanted to let you know if you are hungry and its been 3-4 hours since your last meal.. that is normal, u are supposed to eat every 4 hours to get in 6 meals a day.. 3 normal meals and 3 Snacks.

if you are hungry in say an hour i understand thats a little different. but just wanted to put that out there.

I eat ten times a day or more If you are working out and i hope you are.. Try adding complex carbs to your diet. like sweet potato and brown rice. snack on almonds and pistachios also. im in week 14 from374 to 190 adding 45lbs of muscle mass to fix my skin issue today 235lbs with 14%body fat. perfect shape & health..bigger muscles burn more fat and speed up your metabolism so focus on diet but try to build up and strengthen the muscles you have.. complex carbs gave me what my body was needing..your always hungry because you need carbs but healthy carbs not empty carbs added to your diet also make sure you have a good Multivitamin. also change your shake I drink myofusion its the best for the taste and value 5lbs 35$ online and they fixed alot of my hunger issues after month eight.

@Tattoedzombie-your a lifesaver. Well to me atleast. My biggest drawback was will I be able to pack back on muscle after this surgery. Keep in mind I was going to get the surgery anyway but now you have verified that I can attain my goal. Thanks alot

(null)

@Tattoedzombie-your a lifesaver. Well to me atleast. My biggest drawback was will I be able to pack back on muscle after this surgery. Keep in mind I was going to get the surgery anyway but now you have verified that I can attain my goal. Thanks alot

(null)

I will post pictures on my profile tonight. The surgery Will give you what you need to overcome yourself.. but honestly without building and working out big muscle groups like legs and back/core i dont see the results like i have had in others. science tells us bigger muscles make your bodys metabolic rate skyrocket and this has been a key in chaning myself & my looks.

I agree. I have tons of books on muscle chemistry. Most dont understand that its an art. When I was 20 I was on track then some emotional issues then money issues hit me and I went into a hole, got fat, and now I cant get out of it because I am too weak. But I have faith in the sleeve and its ability to kick me in the gut. I have always ate healthy but just way to much and recently in the last couple of weeks I found out at entirely the wrong times.

Things happen and its just time for me to take control of me again

(null)

I agree. I have tons of books on muscle chemistry. Most dont understand that its an art. When I was 20 I was on track then some emotional issues then money issues hit me and I went into a hole, got fat, and now I cant get out of it because I am too weak. But I have faith in the sleeve and its ability to kick me in the gut. I have always ate healthy but just way to much and recently in the last couple of weeks I found out at entirely the wrong times.

Things happen and its just time for me to take control of me again

(null)

For sure you can do it do no problem focus on no carb no sugar for the first few months with cardeo and resistance bands no lifting. multi Vitamins and protien shakes myofusion online is the best for the money. then hit it hard starting in month three with leg and back metabolism then will rocket and its complex carb time change your diet early with complex carbs added. early like in month 7 , you see alot of discussions on hunger returning and people feeling unsatisfied this is due to carb withdraw look up simple carbs and complex they have a satisfied and un satisfied effect on your body, if you do this right you will be very sucessful as i have been.. and the sergery will give you the restrictions you need to last a lifetime if you make the lifestyle change it takes. look no futher than what has failed you in the past and do the opposite{.see defonition of insanity.}

SOOO glad I am not alone. I am 4 months out and just starting to get hungry about every 3 hours or so. I thought maybe I was one of the unlucky ones that maybe the ghrelin came back or maybe my surgeon had not removed enough of the ghrelin producing part of the stomach. I try to fight it or drink Water in between, but stomach hunger is just so uncomfortable now, maybe because the sleeve is so small that it is totally consumed by the hunger feeling versus when I had a complete stomach. Anyhow, I keep roasted white turkey lunchmeat in the fridge at work and when I get that nagggin hunger between meals I just snack on 2-3 slices of that (30 calories and 3g Protein each slice) and that does the trick! My doctor really wants me to try to get all my protein from real foods versus Protein Shakes so this is one of my little solutions.

Ok,update! Went to see my dr for my annual check up.....only lost 3 pounds from 3 months ago visit....ugh!

My dr (dr Bass) Florida, said I need to wrap my head around whether I'm hungry or just head hungry.... I have no idea what the difference is. I posted about this too today, we'll see if I can get any advice. He did schedule me to see a nutritionist in April, I have to record what I'm eating for three days and take my journal to my nutritionist.

I am having the same issue now as far as being hungry every couple of hours. I am 8 weeks out and he has increased me to 8 oz. at a time, but I don't want ro eat that much cuz I don't want ro overeat. I always eat my Protein first and eat alot of protein, and now have one dense Protein Bar in the afternoon. I know it's not acid. i take an acid reducer every morning. I also have alot of stomach growling (atleast I think that's what it is). I have never had any problems with any food, never nauseated or had slimes or anything. I can eat anything rifht now I can handle but bread, rice, or Pasta. The gurgling or growling noise drive me nuts. I wait 30 minutes before and after eating or drinking.