Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So... 2011 In Restrospect. How Was Your Year?

Rootman

Well 2011 will soon be history. It's been a real roller coaster ride for me, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

What are some of your highlights from the past year?

Here's mine:

• Sleeved 12/6 2010 I lost a majority of my weight in 2011. Went from size 52 pants, 3 X tops to size 34 pants and LARGE tops (medium almost fits but is almost always too short in the sleeves and body). ~375 to about 205 now.
  • Started to get in shape. I am now in better shape than ever (sounds like a Bowfelx commercial doesn't it smile.png ). Our city has a fantastic senior center with a pool and I've swam away many a pound of fat and added a LOT of muscle mass. It's so cool to see the sides of my thighs scooped in and defined instead of being round like a susage. I look at my arms and see REAL biceps and not just tubular limbs.
  • I had a terrible time getting my hormones in line. I started Testosterone replacement therapy about 1 1/2 years ago and with my drop in weight the dosage had to be cut back, and cut back and cut back again. I still need to replace it as I don't seem to produce much on my own.
  • I turned the big five-oh this past year. Half a century, sheesh!

So how was your year?

Excellent topic Rootman! I agree, your 2011 was very kind to you! You've kicked butt, no doubt.

For me 2011 was one of the best years of my life! I have hit all my goals that I set out for myself and many personal ones as well that I don't really share out on the world wide web. :) I'm very very happy today as a result. Life's not perfect, nor should it ever be because we will never grow that way. But, it's perfect enough for me.

Noteworthy milestones for me in 2011:

• Fitted my Size 8's
  • Fitted my Size 4's
  • Fitted my Size 0's
  • Fit tops sizes XS
  • My health is better than it has ever been
  • I can run right along side the best of em!
  • My Body Fat % has gone from morbidly obese to normal!!!
  • I had 2 wonderful plastic surgeries and the results have blown me away!!!
  • Best of all, I have found myself in all of this. I have conquered the demons that have plagued me for so long, and I have found GOD once again.

Blessings to all in the coming New Year!!!

Most of 2011 was a total loss for me. I was sort of in a funk with everything. I didn't do anything most of the year. I mean nothing. I started a highly stressful job back in december 2010 which has sucked the life out of me but I couldn't find a new one even though I have really tried. I gained 20lbs this year (up until December when I had VSG) putting me back to my all time high of 320.

The highlight of my year has been the entire VSG process which happened very recently. The thrill of finding out that my newly changed work insurance covered it, to the thrill of finding a surgeon, getting my date, and then finally having the surgery. I did all of this by myself. And I'm very proud that I was able to accomplish this. I had been dealing with WLS exclusions in insurance or no insurance for the last 10 years. Then out of nowhere the new insurance change at my job in the fall, allowed WLS. I think 2012 will be my year for sure!

Some of my highlights have been:

March 2011- went on vacation to Sao Paulo Brazil- saw one of my exchange students get married there and visited with a second one! So awesome... Got the pics back to realize that I was morbidly obese and didnt look anything like I thought I did!

I knew then I had to do something more drastic.

Wasted the summer in self pity over my weight and gained the 20 pounds I had lost for the Brazil trip back in quick order.

My husband landed his first teaching job and that changed our insurance which led me to check on wls again. I had already been to a siminar in April but didnt like the surgeon or his staff. So here it is late July and I discovered our new insurance covered wls. I went to seminar the next day with my hubby. CHANGED MY LIFE!

I loved the surgeon and staff but my insurance only covered vsg of bmi 5o or higher and i was 40.2. A really nice man said to me... just self pay and get it over with.. screw the insurance.. they have payment plans with no interest! Thats exactly what we did! I was sleeved the following Monday August 8th.

I have lost 56 pounds since then.

I went from a size 20 (tight) to a size 12-14 depending on brand.

I went from 1x shirts to M-L.

I went from size 9 panties to a 7.

I went from a size 40C to a 38C in bra's.

I am in the 170's which I havent seen in 5 years.

I feel so much better already! ALL THIS IN LESS THAN 5 MONTHS!!!

2012 is my year reach goal and become a runner! My sister told me once that I would never be as thin as I was in college and I am out to prove her wrong! 135 or less, here I come!

I am planning to go back to Brazil in 2013 and visit my family and friends there so I can make new and better pictures that I can be proud of! I also graduate from grad school then too.

Love this topic! For me, like the rest of you, 2011 was a banner year.

January to February I spent going through the motions and various required visits for insurance to cover VSG. This included various freak outs as to what I was doing and if I would ever eat normal again. :)

March 1st became an icon date in my life when I had surgery. I literally feel my life should be measured pre and post VSG. I lost weight very quickly- more than 50 lbs. in two months. As I dropped weight I found a level of confidence that I am not sure I have ever possessed previously.

In June, I applied for a position on a lark that seemed waaaayyyy out of the realm of possibility. Well, the confidence came through and they hired me!

In July, I decided it was time to pursue a goal that I secretly thought unattainable and signed up for a 1/2 marathone training program even though I could barely run a mile. Two weeks ago, I ran 14!!!

Over the course of this year I have lost 111 lbs, and gone from a tight 24 to a solid 14 (and sometimes 12). Heck, I even lost a shoe size!

This year has been equal parts amazing and terrifying. I am not sure I ever realized how scary it would be facing food demons and embracing all that I have to offer the world. Have you guys noticed that too or is it just me?

Regardless, yay for us!! :)

Amanda

2011 year has been a year of personal shrinking (physical size) and personal growth (understanding myself better).

Went to my appointment with Dr. Nick in January and scheduled my surgery. Began the preop diet in early February, and had surgery on 2/22/12. I weighed 253 pounds, wore 24W clothing and 3X tops. Was on BP meds (2) cholesterol meds (2), a CPAP device (I hated it) and had joint pain continuously. My doctor was talking to me about WHEN I would have a heart attack, not IF.

Fast forward to now. I am 108 pounds lighter and am now only 10 pounds away from my goal weight. I am wearing size 10 or 12 petite pants, 12P blouses, and size medium tops and pants. I am on NO BP medication, NO cholesterol medication, no longer have sleep apnea and my joints feel 100% better. My doctor is thrilled with the results.

Been a great year. I know so much more about myself. I have met many of my demons head-on and they are no longer demons. food is much less important to me. I think I still am an addict, but I am taking it one day at a time. The sleeve is a wonderful tool to help deal with the daily challenges.

I am looking forward to 2012. I have taken early retirement from my corporation and will start looking for my next adventure 100% of the time starting Tuesday of next week. Well - almost 100% of the time. I am really going to dedicate my spare time to exercising, to see if I can get the droopy saggy bits of my body to be a lot firmer. It is certainly much nicer to be looking for a job as a size 10/12 than as a size 24. I think my chances of landing a job are much better now.

Great topic, Rootman. Thanks for starting it.

Great year for me in many ways as well.

WLS on May 2

Lost 75+ pounds in 7 months

Coming to the close of my Occupational Therapy Assistant Training

Learned to love my self and stand up for me

Went from size 20 to a 6-8

Am currently wearing my 18 year old skinny daughter's pants!!!

I think the best thing of all is that I have developed confidence in my self that I have not had since I was 17. Married young and let my Ex. do all my thinking for me. I do it now and am very glad.

Watch out 2012...I am coming to get you!!!!!

Living the dream,

Laura

Great post Rootman, and well, what a fantastic year you've had.

2011 for me was a double sided sword... a roller coaster ride for sure; both in the world of weight loss and on a more personal level.

My highlights are:

• I turned 40 in April.... that was an ouch moment ... lol
  • I am lighter now than I have been in 15 - or so - years
  • I am fitter now than I have been for 17+ years; I can run for 50 mins on the treadmill and keep up at the boxing gym with the lightest! I don't feel 'out of place' in the world of exercise
  • I am feeling more confident and although I have a little way to go, I can, at last, see the finishing line
  • I feel more secure in being 'me'!
  • And... I can now take a compliment by just responding with a 'thank you' instead of putting myself down.

Phew... what a year ... bring on 2012!

! [*]And... I can now take a compliment by just responding with a 'thank you' instead of putting myself down.

That's awesome! I had to learn how to do that myself. ;)