Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Laying On The Operating Table Today

This morning at around 8 am I was laying on the operating table with IV lines attached, a nice breathing mask waiting for my "remove the band perform the sleeve surgery" when I was vaguely aware of the anesthesiologists talking in the background. I was then vaguely aware of them doing an EKG and then I was aware of several doctors leaning over me saying that the surgery had been canceled.

Apparently they were concerned that as my heart rate increased that the heart seemed less able to get oxygen which is an indicator of heart disease. I am being sent to a cardiologist. One of the anesthesiologists came in to say that they wanted to be extra sure about my health since this was an "optional" procedure. I appreciate the diligence of the doctors in taking extra steps and time to make sure of my health.

This psychological issues for me to get motivated for the vertical sleeve surgery has been difficult. The lap-band was a failure and although it is easy to blame the device I've wondered what it is about me that might have contributed to the failure. Going to the sleeve seemed logical but I have had fears that whatever it is about me that caused the lapband to be a failure would come into play with the sleeve. It is the ultimate trip down the rabbit hole without return ticket to do a play over as it with having the band removed.

As I have sat here tonight thinking about the consequences of the potential news of having heart disease plus I am a diabetic, high blood pressure and cholestoral - it dawned on me that if there was ever any doubt about having the sleeve operation that those doubts are removed. I no longer see this surgery as being optional but rather as a necessary and logical way to reverse all of my co-morbilities brought about by dramatic and quick weight loss. Has anyone here used WLS to reverse heart disease with the support of their doctors and what special issues or concerns were tracked and or monitored? Thanks.

Resolve to have the sleeve - if medically safe.

Reading your post you get stronger sounding with a strong will and a good mental state. Do not get discouraged. Ask what will it take? What can I do?

Know what is in your control and what is out of your control. Control what you can and move towards a healthier you in what ever road you may have to take.

Keep in touch, I am inspired already.

Please do not blame yourself for the band not working for you. Many of us have had failed lapbands and then go on to do fabulous with the sleeve. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully the doctors can help you get the surgery. It sounds like most of your medical issues are due to obesity. The sleeve will allow you to lose the weight so you can get better. I am sending hugs your way and don't give up on the sleeve. We are always here for you.

CR, From what I've read about LapBands, YOU didn't fail the band, it failed you. Many people have had the LB and not lost weight, or had major problems with getting enough restriction to eat less without being so restricted they couldn't eat at all.

I agree that you do sound more confident as you get further into your post. I'm glad your doctors are diligent and postponed the surgery until you are checked out by a cardiologist. And I'm happy that you are still determined to get your sleeve! :)

I had a ton of co-morbidities before surgery and they are improving rapidly. I know that you will experience the same. Please don't let this set you back, just do what you need to do in order to get through surgery safely. In a few weeks, you WILL be on the loser's bench and happily losing the weight.

As others have said, the sleeve does what the LB promised to do. :)

Good luck and see you on the loser's bench soon!! :)

Hi!

The reason why I am having my lapband removed is because it does not work for me....you are so not alone....I was banded in 2005 and have lost a grand total of....10pounds!! and I have over 100 pounds to lose! I understand your inital feeling of being a failure, I still do not tell anyone that I have a lapband. Everyone knows I am having gastric sleeve surgery...but only a few people know I have a lapband and I am actually having revision surgery....

I got my band in 2002. They put the small band in. Now they don't even offer the small band because of it's inability to adjust as much as the regular band. I have suffered for 9 years and I can't imagine getting to the table and hearing that you need to wait. On the positive side- it does show that the hospital and doctor cares enough about your health to make sure that THIS surgery is 100% effective. Obviously the last one was not. If we could do it all over again-and have a successful surgery to begin with that gave us what we wanted....we would all wait a few weeks.

Don't give up-I agree it is not an optional surgery, but they say... "The Doctor knows Best".

Thank you all for you kind responses. I'm not focused on the band issue but rather using WLS as a means of reversing heart disease. I had originally started the WLS journey as a means of revising my diabetes and now I am hoping for heart disease to fall into this category as well. As I mentioned originally the Doctor mentioned that they were taking such care because the surgery was "optional" - to me this surgery isn't optional any longer. I was just wondering if anyone had heart disease and had the sleeve surgery and what the impact of the surgery on the heart condition? Thanks again.