Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok so i am 8 days p.o and i can't stand this liquid thing anymore.. for what ever reason everytime i drink Fluid i get a huge gas bubble in my stomach and i can't burp so there is no way for me to relieve the pressure right away. i have been experimenting with semi solids.. bread and very very well cooked veggies.. i know im not supposed to but i needed to see if anything else would work.. and as it stands i can tolerate it. i don't get that huge gas bulge everytime i eat. and i found that actual food makes it easier for me.

what should i do? also i just can't seem to not be hungry right after i eat..

I feel like im losing it and im only 8 days into it.. someone please help me.

Hi there... the first few months are going to be the toughest by a long shot. Nothing worth doing ever is though. My advice to you is to get right back on to your surgeons post op eating guidelines. The reasons behind them are simple, though I realize following them isn't. I had a very conservative set of rules and didn't even get to start mushies until 20 days post op. I really went through it, but I did it. The reason is if you place too much pressure on your healing staple line, you can ultimately cause a leak. Leaks can and will lead to weeks on end in the hospital, possible feeding tubes, additional surgeries to repair the damage, etc. Keep this in mind whenever you feel like you need to stray.

My next advice to you would be to consult your surgeon. Sometimes when we feel like we need to eat food or we're going to lose our mind it's because we heal faster than normal and our bodies likely are able to handle more food. In this case, the surgeon or dietician will allow a modified eating program. However this should only be done by your Doctors advice.

Hugs!!! It IS tough!! But you can do this, trust me.

thank you diva you always know what to say... you are truely a good person to have on this thing. its funny cuz i know your right and knew what i should do, but i guess hearing it from another person makes it easier to deal with.. lol

I have found that temperatures make a big difference. For example, having warm herbal tea goes down very easy wheras cold Water is uncomfortable. Actually, plain Water is the hardest thing for me to drink. Premier Protein is a thin chocoloate Protein Drink that goes down easy - especially at room temperature. I also found using a shot glass to sip from encouraged me to take tiny sips - bigger swallows means you are likely to get more air in there. Also, some not too hot Soup (with no lumps, like a cream Soup or a strained one) works well,

Staying hydrated is much more important then needing food at this stage, so no matter what, you need to get some liquids in.

I know this is tough, but i think you are taking foolish risks - especially with bread. If you are going to push anything, you should do the next step which is pureed foods, not solids.

I agree with Diva . If you start eating any solid food before your tummy swollen goes down, some of those foods can get stuck in your staple line,causing an infection . Plus when you start on mushies/ soft foods you should eat your Protein first and then veggies and bread should be avoid for a few months after surgery,I heard does not go down well at first. I hated my 4 weeks of liquid diet but I hang in there. Later you will see that many surgeons recommend this liquid diet before and after to help you lose weight and to help with your tummy recovery. Good luck!!!!

thank you diva you always know what to say... you are truely a good person to have on this thing. its funny cuz i know your right and knew what i should do, but i guess hearing it from another person makes it easier to deal with.. lol

I'm glad I could help! Just have to be very careful right now while you're healing.

thank you guys i will be more mindful of my tummy.. and honestly i think your a right on the healing thing diva..

My body is very used to having surgeries.. ive had 4 knee surgeries so i think in general i just heal a lot faster than most which is probably why i intuitvely want to press forward, but i know i shouldn't and i wont till i talk to my nut. I guess this is where i really need to have some will power because i do not want an infection or any complications just because i was being stupid. .... moment of weakness, lapse in judgement what ever you wanna call it.. i just need to stop.

And jane i will try the temp stuff.. cuz i have found that the warmer the liquid the easier it is.. but just plain Water messes with me bad.. i hear a lot of people say its because of the pH something like that. but lately it is getting harder for me to get in my Fluid .. i think im at about 25oz right now which i know is not good since we are supposed to be on 64 oz... i heard that we can eat sugar free popsicles? does that count as liquid?

I don't know if it is the ph or what, but i expected Water to be the "gentlest" and it just isn't. I am enjoying drinking alot more now that I am doing more herbal teas, etc.

On my program, SF popscicles do count as liquid but they are too cold for me to eat more then maybe one per day.< /p>

yea its definitely weird that just plain old Water is what causes the most discomfort... and since i guess what i had was a hiatal hernia of my esophogus i can't burp to help with the discomfort of the gas bubble.. i have found that i can eat the popsicles, but i also seem to handle water better if i use crystal light with it. and i can drink Protein shakes.. i normally get this one called muscle milk its actually really delicious and it has no dairy. and lots of Vitamins and about 25mg of protein per shake.< /p>

oh i had another question... before i used to always run pretty hot.. infact i would just sweat sometimes because i would be so warm.. and now im freezing and i know a little about the bodys physics but even tho i am taking the Iron supplement it doesn't seem to be helping.. what can i do?

Quite a few on here get cold.... do a search on it... there are a number of threads. I go hot cold hot cold hot cold all day long! Crazy.

You are losing your fat layer. Between not having the "insulation" and the hormones being out of whack, you will be cold more than before. Apparently the fat stores lots of hormones and they are released as the fat goes away.

The only thing to do is to keep a sweater with you at all times and add a couple of blankets to the bed. I have 3 quilts on my bed right now and, despite living in Florida, I keep a warm sweater handy all the time.

Good luck!! :)

thank you guys i will be more mindful of my tummy.. and honestly i think your a right on the healing thing diva..

My body is very used to having surgeries.. ive had 4 knee surgeries so i think in general i just heal a lot faster than most which is probably why i intuitvely want to press forward, but i know i shouldn't and i wont till i talk to my nut. I guess this is where i really need to have some will power because i do not want an infection or any complications just because i was being stupid. .... moment of weakness, lapse in judgement what ever you wanna call it.. i just need to stop.

And jane i will try the temp stuff.. cuz i have found that the warmer the liquid the easier it is.. but just plain Water messes with me bad.. i hear a lot of people say its because of the pH something like that. but lately it is getting harder for me to get in my Fluid .. i think im at about 25oz right now which i know is not good since we are supposed to be on 64 oz... i heard that we can eat sugar free popsicles? does that count as liquid?

Glad to hear it! :)

yea its definitely weird that just plain old Water is what causes the most discomfort... and since i guess what i had was a hiatal hernia of my esophogus i can't burp to help with the discomfort of the gas bubble.. i have found that i can eat the popsicles, but i also seem to handle water better if i use crystal light with it. and i can drink Protein shakes.. i normally get this one called muscle milk its actually really delicious and it has no dairy. and lots of Vitamins and about 25mg of Protein per shake.

It might be increasingly more difficult to get your liquids in because your stomach might be swelling due to eating off plan. Not trying to scare you at all, but sometimes my stomach will pull back if I push too hard - if that makes sense. Even this far out from surgery too. I just take a day and do liquids only.

Have you tried powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup? If not, look it up... www.unjury.com - this stuff is like medicine to me. If my stomach isn't feeling well, I do this in place of a few meals and I'm instantly feeling better. HTH.

Also yes, any fluids you take in any way counts, SF Ice Pops, Jello, all clear or full fluids... it all matters in the daily totals. The only fluids that shouldn't be counted are anything with caffeine in it, as it acts as a diuretic.

oh i had another question... before i used to always run pretty hot.. infact i would just sweat sometimes because i would be so warm.. and now im freezing and i know a little about the bodys physics but even tho i am taking the Iron supplement it doesn't seem to be helping.. what can i do?

Yes!! This is a huge topic... I don't pretend to know exactly why this happens but I certainly felt freezing the day of surgery. I know there's no way I could've lost that much fat on my body to where I was instantly so cold. In my opinion has something to do with hormones and the removal of the portion of our stomach that creates ghrelin. Just my opinion like I said!

I bought myself an electric blanket last Winter. Probly the best $60 I spent on me since my surgery... LOL :)

Blessings suggah... It will all work itself out. This time next year, you're going to be on top of the world!