Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird thing happened

Yow. I had my staples out 1 week after surgery. I couldn't have standed them much longer, they were really itching. I hope you're fairing better. :tea:

Banded and home in the same day? While not as invasive as a RNY Bypass, you should have still remained in the hopsital overnight so that they could evaluate you by flouoscopy 24 hrs later. If you don't mind me asking, who is your doctor and where did you have the surgery performed?

My surgeon and his partner between them have done around 1600 band procedures, and they do it as outpatient for most of their patients. Home the same day.

My surgery was about an hour and then I was in recovery for about 1.5 hrs. I knew before I ever checked in that I would be staying the night. My doctor said they are doing that with everyone to keep an eye on them. I was thankful I stayed that night. I was home by 10am the next morning. I was x-rayed before I went home, but didn't have to drink anything.

I was also only in for day surgery with Dr. Spiegel in Houston. I went in at 10:30am, and was home by 3:30pm. I think it is quite common, and Dr. Spiegle does ALOT of them! ~Good luck

I had my lapband surgery on 7/18. I'm doing fine, but I thought it would be much more difficult to drink (still on liquid diet) I can drink just about as much as I could before surgery. Is this normal?

I also had my surgery on the 18th and have no trouble drinking or eating. I guess everyone is different. I had no fill put in at the time of surgery so don't have the restriction some have. It is perfectly normal. I wish you the best. Keep me posted.

I was banded on July 18 and Medicare requires you spend the night in the hospital. I'm glad I did because we had a 3 hr. drive in front of us....but I didn't get any sleep. Vanderbilt is super busy with being a teaching hospital as well and I had interns in all night long....

I had a wonderful experience.

To your surgeon's credit they told you what happened, and some surgeons may have covered it up. The fact is now you have a band that is good and that's what is the important thing. Probably this happens more than we know.

The girl next to me in recovery woke up sick to her stomach and I had no nausea at all. I felt fine except for the port pain, which is all but gone now. All in all it was a positive experience that I hope just keeps getting better.

I suppose anything is possibe, considering there are so many doctors/hospitals with there own set of guidelines. Personally though, I wouldn't feel safe having major surgery (Any type of abdominal surgery is considered such) only to be sent home hours later. Maybe I am being over precautious, but better over than under in my opinion.

:tea:

Mommy, as other posters have said, the overwhelming majority of LapBands are done as same-day, outpatient surgeries now, unless the patient's medical history or surgical reactions makes them want to keep them overnight for observation.

Like most Bandsters, I was in and out in a few short hours, which is typical. :bowl:

(Now some Mexican doctors keep their patients overnight because they may only have a really short time to observe the banded patient as a post-op before they leave the country.)

Now my Tummy Tuck (which like all Tummy Tucks are basically "open" and not "lap") surgery was a hell-raiser and I was still home that same night. (Thankfully!)

Now if I had shown any signs of fever or infection, it would have been different.

That was a much more intense surgery :phanvan and it made my LapBand seem like a walk in the park but I did well with the anesthesia, came to well, made it to the bathroom (with some help) and so was allowed to go home. The doctor's office and hospital was just more than 1 mile away so I wasn't bothered, and all went well.

Just an FYI....

Hello All,

There seems to be some confusion. I had my band placed on Monday, and got home Tuesday night. The band broke while the dr. was putting the finishing touches on. She then had to remove it and replace it.

I"m pretty sore but plan on following the advice of the dr. regarding liquids without question.

Thanks for your input

My surgery is on Friday and is planned as day surgery. I'm scheduled for 7:45 am and expect to be home late that afternoon. If there are complications or concerns, I'll end up staying the night. The one annoying thing is that the hospital makes you pay for 24 hours ($2600 CDN), but surgeon tells you it will be less than 12 hours. So I have to apply for a partial refund ($1200 CDN) once I'm safely back home. I wish they agreed that it was day surgery so I didn't have to pay for the extra funds up front.