Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did You Start Adding "whole Bread" To Your Diet?

Ok so I am 3 weeks post op and I know still to early to eat 'bread'.I want to avoid bread or tortillas for as long I can. I used loved bread like many of you lol. But sometimes I crave a toast

:( . When did you start adding whole bread to your diet or wheat tortillas? What about tortilla chips? I am assuming maybe after 3 months post op? TIA

I think it was a good long time before I started eating whole grain breads. Especially chips because those are a real slider food along with being very addictive to me. I'm thinking probably 6 months or more. I still don't eat a lot of either. I get full really fast with breads and I'd rather save more room for my Proteins. It is a lot easier to consume toasted breads though.

I'm 5 months out and still not on bread. I had a bite of a roll on Thanksgiving after having a couple bites of turkey, and that was it for me. Couldn't eat any more and the roll didn't sit well with me at all. I have had some tortilla chips. Had two nacho chips the other day with chicken, cheese, salsa and olives. Two chips and I was done. Full. Those sat better than the roll, though. I regretted the roll. As I understand it, breads, pastas and rice expand in the stomach. I'll try again in another month or so.

I'm 8 months out and still bread- and pasta-free at this point. I have avoided bread for several reasons, including its trigger/overeating potential/history, the fact that it's a lot of carbs with minimal "nutrition," the fact that it swells in the stomach. Believe me, I was a HUGE bread-aholic before surgery--it's just been easier to mostly avoid it. I say mostly because I recently tried a few bites of pita with hummus at a Mediterranean restaurant--it was delicious, but WOW was I overfull after only a couple of tiny bites!! So I'm not really a fan and I don't think I'm going to try that again any time soon.

Now, corn chips are another thing. I eat corn chips pretty regularly, not tons of them, but I do eat chips with cheese dip or just thin slices of cheese (or made into nachos--yum!) or with a high-Protein dip. I can tolerate them comfortably--I think it's the crispy texture--and they serve the same purpose as crackers for me. I certainly don't eat them daily or anything, and I eat them as part of a meal; I find them very useful and yummy. I prefer these to crackers for smaller volume, and there is some Protein in a corn chip that isn't in most crackers.

So now I'm a recovering bread-aholic. :-) And that's a good thing.

I've had a couple of pieces of toast in 3.5 months. Like others say, it's definitely something that fills me up. I like to toast the bread, then cook an over medium egg and put it on top. I can usually eat the egg and about half the piece of bread.

Like Meg, I do like chips sometimes. I really like the baked cheetos, but I'll have a small handful once a week as a snack because they are a slider for me as well.

Crackers are good with Peanut Butter or cheese. I've also eaten a couple with sardines. I can't eat many of them at a time.

I'm still avoiding rice. One bite of it made me feel YUCKY full. I'll skip the rice, thanks.

I will be 10 months post surgery on 12/22, and I still don't eat bread hardly at all. I have had a couple of hush puppies twice, and 3 bites of dressing at Thanksgiving, and a small serving of bread pudding. Bread (even dressing) swells in my stomach and I am uncomfortable. I eat the flatbread crisps with toasted cheese as a Protein sometimes for lunch or dinner.

I may try nachos in the future. I am going to try to avoid corn chips (fritos and cheetos) for as long as I can. That is a dangerous path for me to even begin to walk down. I eat the dried snap peas if I want that kind of crunch.

I did eat half a toasted tortilla once with fajita fixing. Stuffed to the gills!

Awesome,Thanks!!! I will try my best to avoid bread =) I know is for my well being :)

I should clarify that by "corn chips, " I'm talking about tortilla chips, not Fritos. Fritos have a LOT more fat and calories than the thin baked corn chips. Like everything else, choose wisely! :-)

I discussed it with my doctor this week. I am 4 weeks out and have been having the 100% whole wheat sandwich thins since week two. Not every day-but 2-3 times a week. I only eat half of one. with an egg or a slice of cheese (and then broiled)-they make a great pizza base too.

I also do WASA Crisp'n light crackers-they are big and crunchy and only 20 calories. I will spread one with Peanut Butter for a meal.

I have had corn tortillas a couple of times too. Not fried. I spray them with Pam and heat them in a skillet for tacos or enchiladas. I can only manage to eat one.

I think the main reason to stay away from bread is that it fills you up so quickly. That's why my doctor approved the "thins" he said they have no moisture and so won't fill you up-He said as long as I do Protein first and keep the carb to under 25% of my meal it should be OK.

I can't envision eating a roll-it doesn't even appeal-so for me taking that second step to white fluffy bread isn't an issue.

I just had my 6 month check up last week w/ my dr....We specifically talked about the bread issue. He said, "NO BREAD" avoid it forever if at all possiable. It expands in your stomach, and u need the room for Protein foods. same goes for rice, Pasta, tortillia shells, chips, etc.

so, sounds like to me, no more bread.

you should probably check in w/ ur dr, and see what they say on the bread issue?

I have been eating bread since 2 months. Maybe 2 or 3 slices total per week with eggs

I don't really like the way bread feels in my tummy any more - it just sort of goes "kerplunk", which is a good thing, since I try to stay low carb. You may find once you've tried it you won't miss it either.

However, I did buy a couple of loaves of bread from Julian Bakery - my local health food store carries it in the frozen foods. It's really low carb, and the slices are small. I really like the sourdough with sesame seeds - generally just half a slice toasted to make an open-face tuna sandwich is very satisfying. I also have a loaf of cinnamon bread from them but I haven't tried it yet. They're pricey, but I keep them in the freezer and just take out a slice at at time as needed.

I also buy the La Tortilla Factory small multigrain low carb tortillas - 50 calories, 3g net carbs. I put sandwich fillings on them, fold them in half and toast them briefly under the broiler. In fact, I'm eating a goat cheese, turkey, cranberry one right now. They also work great as "pizza" crust on friday movie nights. biggrin5.gif

I started seriously experimenting with whole grain bread at about 4 1/2 months, when I was looking to add complex carb to my diet for specific nutritional purposes. While filling, it settled well and when toasted up with some meat and cheese provided a good pre-workout meal that noticeably improved my workout endurance and intensity in the pool. I've never had much of a problem getting in enough Protein, so I have had flexibility from early on to add some variety to my diet. I've never been a breadaholic (that's my wife's job!) and didn't have a lot of it before then other than in some french onion Soup early on (fully expanded in the broth, so no real problem there,) and some occasional rice and Beans in a Chipotle soft taco (with varying amounts of the corn tortilla depending on capacity; rice and Beans are on surgeon's early soft diet list).

Next I will try some whole wheat Pasta with some sausage or meatballs as an alternate meal of similar nutritional profile to the sandwich to see how that works on the energy front. So, in short, whole grain breads are entirely compatible with the sleeve - at varying points for different people depending upon individual tolerances and progression rates. Of course, if breads and the like are a trigger food, then some caution is appropriate to keep from over-doing things. Some docs are still looking at the sleeve from an RNY perspective, but they will come around as their patients and more experienced sleeve docs show them the way, but there is really nothing, in general, that the sleeve can't handle long term - it's up to us as individuals to learn to control ourselves, with the help of our sleeves.

I tried whole wheat toast at about 3 1/2 months - it was fine for me but not really worth the space it takes in my sleeve. Good to know I can do it though!