Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"you Don't Need Gastric Sleeve Surgery" Is What Everyone Keeps Telling Me

Good luck to you both! If I could have gotten it when I weighed less, I would have.

Yes, I'm a cash payor and my surgeon is Dr. Alberto Aceves. I decided to have the surgery only 2 weeks ago after spending Thanksgiving vacation with someone who had gone from 300 lbs to 130 lbs with gastric bypass and has kept it off for several years. She was so encouraging. I had looked at bariatric surgery 10 years ago, but being the same weight, I was turned down. After Thanksgiving I started my research and I read so many good things about Alberto Aceves that I scheduled the surgery. He seems to attract attention based on his medical experience and skill without being flashy, or having third parties represent him, etc. Aceves seems to base his decisions on good medical sense and is a FACS. I was in a relationship with a surgeon way back when - the guy that actually did Sandra Day O'Connor breast cancer surgery, and he told me not to ever have a surgeon without those credentials. So the combination of good reports, member of FACS, working at a full fledged hospital, won me over. I looked at someone else for half the price and lots of testimonials on YouTube, but he just didn't have the credentials, the 3 day hospital stay, or the experience. So yes, it will be more expensive, but its my life and long term health at stake so I wanted the best. So I'm packing tomorrow .... and anxious to get on with it.

Divina

That is so exciting! See you back here in a few days! I am sure you will be very happy. My co-worker told me her neighbor had the sleeve 5 years ago, lost 140 pounds has had no problems and has kept all the weight off. I really think the sleeve is the best thing.

Divinia, Good for you for firing that trainer! If he's not going to be supportive of you, then he needs to go!

I love your attitude and the fact that you've done lots of research. It sounds like you have already done the head work and are ready for your sleeve!

Good luck and check in after surgery to let us know how you are doing, please! :)

I'm a female. I'm 5' 6". My highest weight was 236. My BMI was 38,6. Usually it has to be 40 or over. I qualified with Aetna insurance because I have "co-morbidities". High-blood pressure, diabetes, GERD, & sleep apnea. I went from controlling my blood sugar with a healthier diet to needing medication to doubling my medication. I have had to double my blood pressure medication. That was over a 3 year period. At this rate I'll be disabled and facing a long, sickly, painful end of life in no time. This is about being healthy, not "looking hot". Of couse, I hope I will look hot! That is an added benefit to this surgery. I am so certain that I need this for me that I don't care about other people's approval.

Hi Chelle - its up to you to decide if you need surgery. However, you are a bit of a light weight (BMI 37). You will likely have a very difficult time getting approved by your insurance company at that weight unless you have some significant co morbidities.

Of course that is all out the window if you are self pay - in that case....you just need to be over a 35 which is the cut off or go to Mexico.

Thanks so much for all the replies guys. And just to follow up, yes I was approved by my insurance (Kaiser). My BMI may not be the highest but I do have other co-morbidities so that's why I was approved. Thanks again everyone for your responses and support.

HI CHELLE

I ALSO AM 5'8" AND 252LBS...PRETTY CLOSE TO YOU. MY BMI TOGGLES BTWN A 38-39. BUT, I AM MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER TO DO THIS SURGERY ....FOR MYSELF.... THIS IS WHAT I WANT...NOT MY HUSBAND OR KIDS OR ANYONE ELSE...IT'S WHAT I MUST DO FOR MY HEALTH..FOR MY HAPPINESS & WELLBEING. IF YOU CAN SAY THAT YOU TO ARE ALSO DOING THIS FOR YOURSELF...THAN SCREW ANYBODY ELSE...SORRY IF THAT'S BLUNT, BUT....THIS IS FOR YOU