Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy Tuck...have You Had One?

Thank you for the replies. My current weight this morning is 223. According to the BMI charts, "ideal weight" for a 6'1" man with a "large frame" tops out at 192 lbs (! this seems crazy-skinny for a large-built 6'1" man, but maybe having been at 335 skewed my perception!) According to some sources I've seen online, I should be at "ideal weight + 10%" before considering a TT, so this would be around 210 max. Unfortunately, 210 is the magical "goal" I've been shooting for for some time; I got close towards the end of summer at 213, but then "something happened" (I swear, i didn't face plant into cakes and ice cream, and I actually ramped UP the exercise!) and now I'm up 10 lbs. I've stopped the gain, but now my weight is plateaued again at the higher weight. So, long story short, getting to and maintaining 210 seems almost unattainable. It's not like the beginning after VSG where I could fart and lose 20 lbs!

Mini-Me: I'd love to believe that it's all loose skin, but it's not pinchable, if you know what I mean -- when I pinch a fold of it, there isn't just loose skin between my fingers, there's actual fat that I can feel. Obviously nothing like before the VSG, but still fat. And on my "flanks" (now I know what to call that area; apparently it's a really common trouble spot for me... the back "love handle" area) is the worst, that's where I'd like to slim down the most right now (it's the main reason I still wear "baggy" shirts, to avoid that "muffin top" look!), but apparently that area is just amazingly resistant to diet and exercise; either I have to go to almost superhuman weight loss lengths, or I have to think about surgical reduction.

I know, I know, talk to a doctor -- it's always good advice. But just like with the VSG itself, I know that any surgery is a big deal, and I want to get as much input and advice from others as possible before I commit my body and 5-10 grand more of my money to an elective surgery.

I really want to feel like I "look good" -- my health is SO much better now (my doctor is just speechless with how good all my results were from my last physical!), but now I'd like to really get to the point where I feel good about my appearance, not where I'm still feeling like I have to "hide" part of my body, ya know? I mean, I'm going to the gym five days a week and lifting weights, it sucks that I feel like I have to wear baggy clothes that hide all that new muscle, just to cover the stupid little "spare tire" that's left!

(NB: also going through my mind is that I am "only" 41, and the younger I am when doing this surgery, the better the results will be from the standpoint of recovery, risks, healing, and final outcome.)

My husband had gastric bypass and lost over 225 lbs. He is kind of where you are now. about 200 lbs and 6'1. He works out like crazy and has built so much muscle. His arms and thighs look so much better. But like you the abdomen and back are the biggest problems. He wears those compresion work out shirts everyday to help with the loose skin. He did have a consult with a surgeon he quoted him over $10,000 for the whole body lift. They basically make a cut all around your waist and lift your upper and lower body. Also included new placement of nipples and belly button. The more he works out the more it is a reality that is the only way to get rid of the excess skin is surgery. Good luck! I know I want to do it too, but totally do not look forward to the recovery time and pain.