Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Curious Question If Any Can Help....

Ok I am wondering about how the weight thing works? I am doing way better on getting alot of my Protein in me and tommorrow is my first day for solid foods like eggs and such. I was wondering if it helps the weight come off better if u get your recommended amount of protein in? Does it hurt the weight coming off if ur not getting the right amount? was just curios about that?

so far lost about 16 lbs in 13 days. I hope that is good. I have heard of others with like 20 and 30 lbs taken off in thier 2 weeks so I wasn't sure.

the less Protein you take in, the less weight you will lose because your body is holding on to the fat for dear life. if your body knows that theres more coming in, it wouldnt mind burning the fat thats stored.

i hope this helps :)

Ok I am wondering about how the weight thing works? I am doing way better on getting alot of my Protein in me and tommorrow is my first day for solid foods like eggs and such. I was wondering if it helps the weight come off better if u get your recommended amount of protein in? Does it hurt the weight coming off if ur not getting the right amount? was just curios about that?

so far lost about 16 lbs in 13 days. I hope that is good. I have heard of others with like 20 and 30 lbs taken off in thier 2 weeks so I wasn't sure.

Don't always be guided by the weight loss amount. You need the Protein to protect muscles, bones, and your nervous system. My doctor says to at least get 50 to 70 grams per day (the bypass people are recommended for 100 grams).

As previous poster said you will want to avoid starvation mode and if you don't get your calories from Protein then from where - your body will go into starvation mode and slow down weight loss and cause you damage.

jassleeve and Thomas CPA,I am pre-op and also concerned about getting my necessary Protein daily. Can i always, at anytime period in the future have a Protein shake here or there for continued Protein? or is it better to get protein from foods, like chicken. A few bites of chicken here and there couldn't possibly have enough protein, could it? I just want to do well in the proper foods and drinks are needed to eat well.

I've had surgeries, so i'm, not worried about the actual surgery, the anesthia (msp).etc. I'm not worried that I will over eat and stuff, as i said above, i'm just scared i won't, or won't know the proper foods to get into my stomach. :help:

Kathy

:wave:

DOS 12/6/11

Protein shakes are your go to, always! you cant go wrong with them. i only know all of this because my boyfriends a bodybuilder. now im not saying live on shakes but there is nothing wrong with drinking shakes. they are very healthy. im praying to be sleeved in december and im not afraid of the surgery or pain but im afraid of facing this disease.

jassleeve and Thomas CPA,I am pre-op and also concerned about getting my necessary Protein daily. Can i always, at anytime period in the future have a protein shake here or there for continued protein? or is it better to get protein from foods, like chicken. A few bites of chicken here and there couldn't possibly have enough protein, could it? I just want to do well in the proper foods and drinks are needed to eat well.

I've had surgeries, so i'm, not worried about the actual surgery, the anesthia (msp).etc. I'm not worried that I will over eat and stuff, as i said above, i'm just scared i won't, or won't know the proper foods to get into my stomach. :help:

Kathy

:wave:

DOS 12/6/11

i'm just scared i won't, or won't know the proper foods to get into my stomach. :help:

Are you having surgery in the US? Your surgeon should have a team to help you with this. If not, I suggest you contact a nutritionist with bariatric experience. You don't want to end up being thin and unhealthy. This is way to important. Best wishes!

Are you having surgery in the US? Your surgeon should have a team to help you with this. If not, I suggest you contact a nutritionist with bariatric experience. You don't want to end up being thin and unhealthy. This is way to important. Best wishes!

I only had 2 appt. with the NUT - but I am told, assured to call anytime, which I've already done a couple of times. yes i am having surgery in US. Syracuse, NY to be exact. ? to people that had surgery out of country, how does it work when/if you have problems? who do you talk to, or if you need immediate physical help? What do you do? Just curious. I was just wondering for a little more info about eating if anyone wanted to say anything, even if i would just be reassured about stuff.

kathy

Protein shakes are an acceptable supplement to regular food once you're past the liquids/mushies stages. They are NOT a complete substitute for eating. I know everyone has a bad WLS story, but bear with me.

My best friend's sister in law had WLS surgery about 3 years ago (don't know for sure what kind), and she has successfully lost all of the weight she wanted to lose. However, about every 3 months since surgery the SIL ends up in the hospital with dehydration and malnutrition. She is SO terrified that she will gain the weight back that she will not eat regular food. Her daily routine consists of a Protein shake or two and that's IT. No Vitamins, very little Water, and absolutely no regular food.

Every time she ends up in the hospital, the nutritionist tells SIL that she must learn to eat regular food and drink plenty of Water, and SIL pays lip service to it, then continues with the Protein drinks when she gets out.

I think most of us want to end up slimmer AND looking like real people, but this SIL has very thin hair, sallow-looking skin and very loose skin on her face, with wrinkles in the upper chest area as well. This SIL is in her mid-30's and shouldn't have such old, crepe-papery skin. I think it's lack of hydration and some fat in her diet.

When I first started talking WLS, my friend took me to meet her SIL. I spent very little time with her before I realized that it was super important to meet my hydration and protein goals for each day. Whenever I catch myself slacking off the protein or water goal, I just mentally bring up a picture of my friend's SIL.

So, my point is that, Yes, you can always substitute a Protein Drink for a meal, and there is no reason that it can't be part of your diet. Just remember that they don't have all of the nutrients we need. Even our high protein diet still requires that we take Vitamins, and most of us are taking a slew of them daily to protect our future health. I certainly don't want to look like my friend's SIL.

Good luck with your journey!! :)

very true! you definitely dont want to live on just Protein shakes. thats sad that the SIL is going so extreme! i think most likely, she had gastric bypass. i hear often that gastic bypass patients get really sick easily. as sleevers, we wouldnt get so sick so fast because we dont have malabsorption but i guess if we only lived on shakes forever, there would be similar consequences.

Protein Shakes are an acceptable supplement to regular food once you're past the liquids/mushies stages. They are NOT a complete substitute for eating. I know everyone has a bad WLS story, but bear with me.

My best friend's sister in law had WLS surgery about 3 years ago (don't know for sure what kind), and she has successfully lost all of the weight she wanted to lose. However, about every 3 months since surgery the SIL ends up in the hospital with dehydration and malnutrition. She is SO terrified that she will gain the weight back that she will not eat regular food. Her daily routine consists of a Protein shake or two and that's IT. No Vitamins, very little Water, and absolutely no regular food.

Every time she ends up in the hospital, the nutritionist tells SIL that she must learn to eat regular food and drink plenty of Water, and SIL pays lip service to it, then continues with the protein drinks when she gets out.

I think most of us want to end up slimmer AND looking like real people, but this SIL has very thin hair, sallow-looking skin and very loose skin on her face, with wrinkles in the upper chest area as well. This SIL is in her mid-30's and shouldn't have such old, crepe-papery skin. I think it's lack of hydration and some fat in her diet.

When I first started talking WLS, my friend took me to meet her SIL. I spent very little time with her before I realized that it was super important to meet my hydration and protein goals for each day. Whenever I catch myself slacking off the protein or water goal, I just mentally bring up a picture of my friend's SIL.

So, my point is that, Yes, you can always substitute a Protein Drink for a meal, and there is no reason that it can't be part of your diet. Just remember that they don't have all of the nutrients we need. Even our high protein diet still requires that we take Vitamins, and most of us are taking a slew of them daily to protect our future health. I certainly don't want to look like my friend's SIL.

Good luck with your journey!! :)

My surgeon explained that in the beginning we will rely on shakes more because we cannot eat enough quantity/volume to get all the needed Protein. As time goes on, the ratio changes and you may use a shake here and there to supplement. Most don't need them at all after a while and just eat the right foods. I'm still using shakes to help me get my Proteins in, mostly when I am working out hard, and not necesarily daily. But definitely, the goal is to focus on nutrition and hydration. If we make good choices, the sleeve will naturally control portions.