Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey y'all:

Just got the results of my 6-month blood work (it was really more like 6-1/2 months, but whatever), and it turns out that because of my altered diet (relatively few flour/grain products) and a Multivitamin that doesn't have Vitamin B1 (thiamine), I have a thiamine shortage. I re-read my vitamin labels and my husband's vitamin labels, and none of the multis in our house--we have four different kinds--have thiamine. My doc says most people eat enough flour and grain products to get thiamine through dietary sources, but because I'm avoiding those kinds of foods since my sleeve doesn't like them, I need to supplement.

I checked B vitamin mixtures at the drug store a few minutes ago, and some of them didn't contain thiamine, either! It's vitamin B1, so you may want to check your multi to see that it contains thiamine if you're not eating many whole-grain or flour-containing foods. The deficiency is easily remedied by taking a supplement, so it's not dreadful, but you might want to give your vitamin label a quick glance.

Everything else looks fabulous! Low cholesterol, low triglycerides, perfect Protein and Iron scores (despite my not ever meeting my protein goals and not eating red meat very often), great levels of other Vitamins and minerals. So yay!

I lost 47lbs with the band and came up deficient in B1 also. My doctor is having me take B1 daily. After a month I was back in the normal range.

i heard this some where Cancer patients treating with DCA (to shrink tumors and/or prevent cancer recurring) require additional supplementation of Thiamine/Vitamin B1. This is because the DCA utilizes thiamine stores in your body to shrink and expel the tumor cells – this increased utilization of thiamine can trigger thiamine deficiency without adequate supplementation. This Thiamine Deficiency has symptoms of the Nervous system disorder, known as “Dry BeriBeri (see below). To learn more about DCA visit pureDCA.com

Vitamin B1 is an essential Vitamin known as aneurin, thiamin, and Thiamine Deficiency in this vitamin can be deadly. Vitamin B1 is Water soluble and must be taken daily to replenish our stores and prevent thiamine deficiency. Thiamin helps maintain a normal metabolism; process carbohydrates, fats, and proteins; burn carbohydrates for energy; and, aid in metabolism of amino acids. Every cell requires Vitamin B1 to fuel our body. Nerve cells require Vitamin B1/thiamine powder in order to function normally. Thiamine Deficiency has serious repurcussions to your health. However, Thiamine Deficiency is reversible with supplementation.

We were told to supplement with 100mg B-1, cut in half on Mon-Wed and Friday's for the sleeve for 6 months. After that there is no need. Unless of course one isn't consuming flour/grain foods like the OP.

Hope this helps...

Yep; my doc requested some specific supplementation--a B-complex (I was able to find a gelcap instead of a tablet, yay) and a separate B1. I have repeat readings at the end of this month, but I have to say, I feel a lot better as far as energy levels go. I wasn't feeling horrible before--in fact, I wasn't feeling bad before, but now I'm feeling better, if that makes sense. I've been on these supplements for a couple of weeks and can definitely feel a difference already.

Thanks for this thread Meg! I am coming up on my 6 month check up so I will pay attention. I checked out my vitamines and indeed no B1! Like you, I don't consume flour or other grains - mostly because I low carb and stay away from gluten. I will definitely follow up with this. Thanks again for your post!

Thanks so much for giving the info...I checked my subligual B12 complex and there isn't ANY B1 in it, and I checked my Centrum chewables and it says that it has 1.5 mg of Thiamin in it for 100%...but up above they said 500 mg?!? Vitamins are sooo confusing to me!! Good luck with it, and glad you are feeling better!

Thanks so much for giving the info...I checked my subligual B12 complex and there isn't ANY B1 in it, and I checked my Centrum chewables and it says that it has 1.5 mg of Thiamin in it for 100%...but up above they said 500 mg?!? Vitamins are sooo confusing to me!! Good luck with it, and glad you are feeling better!

My BIG mistake! I did write 500 mg, but meant to write 100 mg! Which is cut in half and only taken on Mon, Weds and Fridays. Hope this helps. OH, I also corrected my mistake in the post. My apologies!

I just found out I'm low on thiamine as well, though I take a good quality bariatric-formulated multi-Vitamin that contains something like 400% of the daily recommended value, and I do eat egg yolks which are supposedly a good source.

I find this very odd. I realize we're not getting thiamine from enriched carb sources, but it seems like I ought to at least be getting what I need from my multivitamin.

I'm so glad I pushed to have labs done - my surgeon doesn't have that many sleeve patients, and he doesn't routinely do lab work because "there's no malabsorption". Thiamin deficiency can be very serious, so I'll have to make sure to mention it to him the next time I'm in.

Since I'm pretty sure my primary care physician just ran routine labs, I'm wondering if there's anything else specific I should request when I have labs done. Most of the medical literature "out there" on this topic is focused on bypass patients.

Anyway, thanks Meg, it's good to know I'm not alone. I've been feeling less energetic lately, but I thought perhaps it was just post-workout tiredness, as I've been progressing through C25K. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll see a difference!

My doc has me on a B Complex Vitamin once a day since surgery....made by Bariatric Advantage....capsule. Thiamine 50 mg per day plus other B vitamin stuff.

I was planning to get a B Complex rather than just B1, but my other B Vitamin levels are great, in fact, my B12 runs high.