Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need support..Not as big a loser as some of you...

I know this has been discussed several times but I am getting so frustrated that I need to ask you good people.

I was sleeved Sept 16 which puts me at 2 months post-op. In the beginning I was losing great now....is another story. I have tried everything to make the scale move faster and I might get it to move maybe one pound a week.

I know alot of you have said you have to eat more calories. I have tried that and gained a pound. And it was hard. I get full very easy and I am just not hungry.

Example day: Breakfast - Atkins shake

lunch - either Atkins meal bar or Soup or chicken or turkey

dinner - small spinach salad and shrimp

snack - Atkins Protein Bar or greek yogurt

of course I change it up but that is an example.

I feel I just can't eat anymore than that and to not see the scale more much gets very hurtful..

Since surgery I have lost 47 lbs but I look at some of you and at this time most of you have lost alot more. Is this just normal for some people or will someday I wake up and magic it will start to come off?

I guess I just needed to vent a little....just feeling sorry for myself.

Any suggestions????? I'll try it.

Thanks bunches, Janet

I am a slower loser than you. I am one month post-op and have only lost 16 lbs. But in thinking about it, I lost an average of 0.5 lbs a day. Wow! now lets see, you lost 47 lbs in 60 days... that is an average of 0.8 lbs a day. Perspective is what we need sometimes.

Are you walking? Have you tried increasing your calories by trying a different kind of shake that has more calories in it? Maybe you need to snack on fruits and veggies between meals to get some extra stuff in. You can always do the "5 day pouch test" to get the scale moving again.

Are you losing inches? Have you allowed yourself to notice any NSV's?

Relax and enjoy. Don't be hard on yourself and certainly don't compare yourself to any one else. There is only one you and no one else is like you. You are one of a kind!

Shae

Come back to reality!!!!!! 47lbs in 2 months is crazy good!!!!! You are doing everything right. Just keep on doing what you are doing. There are benefits to slower weight loss-- and I would NOT consider you a slow loser. In the past it took me 14 months to lose 36lbs! and you have done this in 60 days. Just imagine where you will be in 6 months!!

Thanks Shae, Excuse me but what is the "5 day pouch test"

I will start walking more but I usually do move around quite a bit.

I don't know if this will help, but at 2 months post op, I'd only lost about 31 pounds from my surgery date. I think your weight loss is amazing! Everyone loses at a different pace, and even the same person can have periods where loss speeds up or slows down. After the first month, I settled into a pattern of 2 to 3 pounds per week. I was a little disappointed, but came to accept that it was good progress compared to most of my prior weight loss efforts. It wasn't as fast as I'd hoped, but I came to be content with it. Then, at about 2 1/2 months, something changed. All of a sudden, I began losing inches like crazy and dropped from a 24-22 to a solid 18 in about a week. During that same time, I was losing a .5 to 1 pound a day. Now at almost 3 months (11/22) it is slowing down a bit, and I think it will settle back into my 2-3 pound a week pattern. I understand the disappointment of not losing as quickly as you'd hoped, but try not to be too discouraged! As I'm learning, on this journey, things are always changing.

The first two days are nothing but liquid. The next two days are soft foods only and then the fifth day is back to solids. It is supposed to wake up your body and reset you so to speak.

If I were you, I would try the myfitnesspal.com calorie tracker to see if you are getting too few or too many calories. Just a few days of tracking will show you what you need to know and you can adjust accordingly.

Please don't be discouraged (I know, easy to say, hard to do). Think of your journey as one that takes you over rough terrain with ups and downs and switchbacks and ... you get the point. You will eventually get where you want to be. Enjoy the drive!

Shae

47 pounds in two months?! You're doing great! Stop worrying because that adds stress which could lead to a stall. Also, keep in mind, people lose weight at different rates based on starting weight and metabolism. By the way, I'm approaching 6 weeks post op and have only lost about 25 lbs.

Hi,

I was sleeved 2 days before you and I've only lost 43 pounds (and 13 were pre op). I consider myself a slow loser as well. Yes its depressing to see people losing double the amount that you've lost, but you'll drive yourself crazy comparing. My Dr. told me to weigh myself monthly and to measure inches. I know I'm losing inches b/c I can get into my 14 jeans when I usually wear an 18/20. Just know that the pounds you have lost are gone FOREVER and in 6 or maybe 7 months you'll be the weight you want to be! Take Care

If you think you are a slow loser, I don't know you will think I am. I have lost 35 lbs in 2 and 1/2 months. I was sleeved 09/01/11. I am still losing over 10 lbs a month so I think I am doing great! Take a look at that, you have lost over 20 lbs a month since you have been sleeved!

I loose an average of about 1 to 2 pounds per week. I know others loose a little faster but FOR ME it's record loss!!! I use to work much harder and always felt miserable and I was lucky to loose a couple of pounds in a month!!! Now, I feel really great, I'm not always hungry, I work out less than I use to (although I would like to increase it) and I'm STILL loosing weight. I basically go about my life so time just flies! And even though I have stalls, I loose overall. So, I know I don't loose as fast, I NEVER DID, but I'm a happy camper!!!!! :-)

Janet, I was sleeved Aug 30, 2011 and I've only lost 44 pounds post-op (57 total with my 13 pounds before surgery). I think I'm right on track and I think you are as well.

How are your clothes fitting? Mine have been getting steadily bigger, but slowly. Then, last week I added in walking on the treadmill because I can go further and faster than I can on the sidewalks around here. Lo and behold, yesterday I put on a pair of pants that fit just a couple of days ago and walked right out of them!! They fell off my bottom!

I hit Twoderville at the beginning of the month and haven't dropped much poundage since then, down to about 295, but those pants falling off me just made my whole month! I really get it now that our bodies are getting thinner and tighter even if the scale isn't dropping rapidly.

I didn't measure before I started my journey, but I really need to measure now and see where I'm at so I can track it from here on in. Even when the scale doesn't seem to be moving, we're still getting tighter and smaller!! :)

Good luck! And, you are doing very well!! Keep up the good work. :)

DallasMom, I have the cure for your buyer's remorse. Go the the VSG Success Stories section of this site and start reading. There are tons of posts from people who have lost 100, 150, 200 pounds and more after having this surgery! It's not a fluke.

Granted, those people have done what was required and changed their eating habits and added exercise to their routines. You're doing all of that, right? If you aren't, now is a good time to start walking. The sleeve is a tool, which we all know, but WE affect how well the sleeve works for us.

The weight IS really coming off super-fast. How many times before have I lost 57 pounds within 3 months? How about NEVER! It just seems slow because we read these huge numbers on here and go WOW. But, look a little deeper. When I see someone who has lost a tremendous amount of weight compared to me, I always look to see what their starting weight was and what gender they are. Inevitably, the person who has lost 140 pounds three months out is a MAN and he weighed over 400 pounds.

Men lose faster than women. Men also seem to work out more than (most) women and they get results faster, IME. And, those who are super heavy to start with lose faster than those who were in the lower BMI category. I lose faster than many others on this site, but I started at 352 with a 54.9 BMI.

I'm working my sleeve and doing all I can to be successful with my weight loss. But, I know that I will still be working harder than many of my thinner sleeve sisters, and working for longer to reach goal, just because of my weight. And, I will reach the point of diminishing return. Right now, I get great results from working out 3 times a week. Soon, I will have to up the number and intensity of my workouts to get the same results. I'm not complaining...that's just the way it works.

The closer you are to goal, the harder it gets. I read stories from people all the time who are less than 30 pounds from their goals. They all say something similar about the last few pounds. It is hard to get those last few pounds off and they are working 10 times as hard as I am right now. We WILL be those people in a few months! I am looking forward to it, personally.

Lastly, it took me literal years to get this fat. I've worked very hard at it. I know that I will have to work very hard to get un-fat. ;) I'm looking forward to the challenge and I'm looking forward to being un-fat! :)

Thank you all so much. I do feel a little better now and I think I will start walking a little more.....Maybe do laps around the mall and see what I will be able to buy in a few months...lol

Thanks again, you guys are great !!!