Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood pressure med cause weight gain?

I have recently been diagnosed with mild hypertension (even though I have recently lost 140 pounds with my lapband - go figure) I never had hypertension (high blood pressure) even at my highest weight of 365, but it runs in my family.....long story short, I recently started on lisinopril about 2 months ago and have had a weight GAIN of 15 pounds!!! I have been doing the lap band diet rules and still have gained. I do realize I need another adjustment/fill but I honestly had been "holding my own" or maintaining before the blood pressure pill (lisinopril).

Has anyone ever taken it and noticed a weightgain? I am VERY frustrated and have an appt for a fill/adjustment in couple of weeks and so dread my doctor because he will fuss about the gain. Any suggestions? Thanks

Lapbandfan,

My husband is on his way to be banded. He just, two weeks ago changed his meds from a pill form to a liquid form. He gained 15 lbs in two weeks. He freaked out, and his doc said IT WAS NORMAL! and he said but what if my band doc won't band me now, and she told him not to worry, because it usually happens when you start a new kind of blood pressure med, and he will know this. Don't fret get your fill and once your body gets used to it you will drop the weight. Good luck

jenmomto3 - thanks for the reassurance. I hope I start losing again and that in fact it is the medication , but I just find it hard to believe I never had high BP at my highest weight and now, start having problems. Heredity I guess, but I am gonna try my very hardest to lose down and get off BP meds, I hate taking meds.

Just say a prayer for me because I hope my surgeon realizes the gain is from the meds, but he is very tough person and he will complain about it and jump me making me feel bad, so do pray that God keeps his arm around my shoulder and his hand over my mouth that day. I will need it!! Thanks for your response.

Medications prescribed for hypertention usually do NOT cause weight gain. If you think the weight gain IS truly related to the medication, call your MD. He/she might elect to switch you to a medication that also contains a diuretic such as hydrodiuril. Have you noticed increased shortness of breath, swollen feet/ankles, etc.? If so, call your MD ASAP.

I agree with the comment about possible Water retention. Usually high blood pressure and water retention go hand in hand. The water retention may be the cause of your weight gain. See you doc and get a duiretic (water pill) if needed. I have on/off high bp meds since my teens, (family history & obesity), and have NEVER gained weight on a BP med. Best of luck to you!

I have taken blood pressure meds for a long time, and they have never caused weight gain for me. There are so many different types out there, I would suggest talking to your doctor and trying something else.

Good Luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches