Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol!?

I tried beer at about 4 months - didn't cause any problems other than 4 oz made me tipsy (drinking it slowly).

I tried tequila around the same point - didn't cause any problems other than 2 tablespoons (sipped slowly) made me tipsy!

Last week (almost 9 months) I was attending a business dinner. I had a shot of fine tequila in a brandy snifter, which I sipped on before and with dinner. I define sipping as inhaling the fumes and basically wetting my tounge with the liquor. It took me before dinner and the three course meal to get half of the drink down - and I could definatley feel the buzz.

I plan on keeping alchohol in my life - I enjoy it. But I certainly can't drink much of it. I don't think the calories will have a negative effect on me - since I won't drink much.

Yes, i never had a problem I started with wine at 6 weeks

What wine did u start with?

I avoided alcohol for about 6 weeks post surgery, but have drank like I did pre-op ever since. I'm a bit of a drinker (and don't apologize for it), and despite drinking I'm basically at goal. I will say that it took a while to get back to my old tolerance, but once I got past six months or so it wasn't an issue. I'm glad for those who don't drink, but moralizing teetotalers need not try to sway me.

I just turned 21 on the 18th, and although I drank pre op (shame on me yadda yadda) I was so excited to Celebrate my rite of passage by going to a bar and ordering a cosmo haha. Two hours, one cosmo, and a lemon drop later my hubby was dragging me out of the bar because I was sloshed!!! Haha, and the sad thing is, when I was pre op I was perfectly capable of taking down 3 or 4 shots with my hubby before even feeling the buzz!! So yeah just be prepared you will be a complete and utter light weight!!! But think of it this way it's less money you gotta spend to get your drank on!! haha

Agreed, I waited until 2 months out before my first drink, but one beer at a party and I was buzzed after a couple sips. My buzz doesn't seem to last as long after surgery though. :(

I'm like Wishes - I might feel a buzz pretty quickly but it disappears quickly too. I went out with friends for my birthday and drank beer all night, and felt good but never got overly sloshed like I might have pre-op. I waited until I was close to 3 months out, but I'm not drinking as frequently as I did pre-op. I have found the best thing for me to drink is a vodka mixed drink (usually a vodka/tonic goes down OK, the carbonation doesn't bother me) and I can also do a bloody mary or two . . . extra spicy!!

I'm glad to hear all your stories. I'm a big social drinker...always on the weekends and I was so scared I was never going to be able to enjoy a drink again with my friends! My surgery is tomorrow so this puts my mind at ease a bit happy.png

Since posting this, I've been (some may ridicule me for this behavior) drinking 2-3 nights a week since my one month mark. I am still losing significant amounts of weight- does not seem to be a problem!

I do not drink mixed drinks I drink alcohol on the rocks, and the pure alcohol has not hurt my tummy whatsoever- but everyone is different in that regard.

I do not intend to drink more than one evening a week at this point- Christmas parties, my husbands birthday, and family being in town has kind of made me a bit of a drinker this month. I'm aware of the empty calories etc. etc.- I am also 131 lbs which is the same weight I was at age 13...it's hard to feel like I've failed myself in any fashion! :)

Since I've posted this topic, I've been (honestly, I know I'll get some ridicule for this) having drinks 2-3 evenings a week since my 30 day mark. I do not drink mixed drinks, just hard alcohol on the rocks- no tummy troubles here, but everyone is different!

I am also the same weight I was at age 13....13!!! I am aware of the empty calories etc. etc., and this month has been filled with Christmas parties, family in town, and my husbands 30th birthday- I don't intend to keep it up at this rate. I also am "good" about my eating aside from alcohol. I do intend to drink once a week or so.

So very glad I found thes posts - surgery in two weeks and honestly was concerned as I too am a drinker - not an abuser - just enjoy drinks with friends and family.

I am prepared to give it up for a couple of months - but hopefully by spring/summer I will manage to have some drinks on the beach just won't have to feel so badly about how I will look in the bathing suit.

Great to know I am not alone with this.............................

You're not alone- I was honestly frustrated when posing the alcohol question prior to starting this thread (with lots of helpful responses, thanks everyone!) because the unanimous response was the "it's empty calories!" or people simply chiming in that they lost the taste for alcohol after surgery.

I think it's the sort of thing to be enjoyed occasionally and not as a very regular thing, if you have a tendency to gain weight it's obviously not smart to indulge in something like alcohol regularly. I've always detested soda, and I'm not a fan of candy (except dark chocolate) so perhaps thats why I have gotten away with it for now.

II just wanted to be sure I could go out and enjoy the same things I have always enjoyed without overdoing it as I do now. I can drink with the best of them; but know I will no longer do that - just don't want to stop completely; my plan is to stop drinking for three months then see where it takes me.

Just relieved to know there are others in this group with the same thoughts.

A lot of people will say it is empty calories, but I am sure they have treats that are empty calories as well. I believe the same with alcohol as I do food, everything in moderation. I monitor my calories, make sure I meet my daily nutritional requirements and enjoy one or two White Russians or glasses of wine just about every night. I know a lot of people will frown on me for that, but at least I am honest. Presently, I am in a great deal of physical pain due to severe back problems. Having those one or two drinks in the evening helps me relax and sleep better. I will be having spinal surgery next month. Will I continue to have my one or two glasses of wine or whatever at night after that, probably, but that doesn't make me an alcoholic. Not by a longshot.

I will add to this forum. I have been drinking since about 6 weeks out I think. Once my surgeon was comfortable that I would be healed enough for rigorous exercise.

I dont drink alot, but also have found that even if I am out I will drink less. However as weird as it might seem. The days where I will have a few drinks at an event or something are the days I generally loose the next morning.

I went into this change, thinking that I was going to use the tool to moderate consumption, not eliminate it. So far it is working very well for me. I want a full life, and sometimes that includes drinks with friends or colleagues.

If in the end if means that I am a few pounds heavier than I was aiming for I will be happy, I already am happier with my life.