Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying To Be Strong! Need To Vent! Need Ideas For Soups

Ok today is my 3rd day of Pre op liquid diet, I am TRYING really hard to stay strong. It is hard when I have to cook Breakfast for my husband ( who does not cook ) :( Today I made chocolate chip pancakes and I had to suffered making them and the smell and stuff lol. Then my hubby brought some french bread from Sam's so I can fix him a sub from lunch. And to end the day because he is an Army Veteran,he got FREE food at Chili's :( I am constantly hungry and fighting not to cheat on this diet,sometimes I want to cry ,seriously . I am allow to eat cream Soups low fat strained,sugar free Jello, pudding and crystal light. Also natural no sugar added apple sauce and Protein Shakes low in sugar like EAS. I am so tired of eating these cream can soups :( I need recipes and ideas to make the soups homemade,anyone can help me with this? I googled Pre op soups recipes and I haven't find much info. I need help to keep going with this diet, I feel like giving up and I still have 12 long days more. Thank you in advance

it WILL get easier. The 3rd day seems to be the worst for everyone. Try doing some "creative cheating" ;). Have the broth from a cup of egg drop Soup...it's essentially chicken broth, right? I drank gallons of chicken and beef broth pre and post-op.

Pre-op, sometimes the problem is texture. Try freezing your Protein shakes into pudding or freeze longer for an ice cream texture. If it feels like you're cheating, it might be easier to get them down. I was allowed SF popsicles, any flavor, so I ate a bunch of them. If you are allowed juices, they freeze well, also.

I wanted things that didn't taste sweet, so I did lots of the broth. But, you can run almost any kind of broth-containing Soup through the blender. Maybe having pureed chicken noodle doesn't sound good now, but it might just hit the spot further into the diet. Also, I liked the one cup of pureed Wendy's chili I had pre-op. I sipped it like a drink, but it was definitely different flavors!

I also ate broccoli and cheese soup post-op, avoiding the chunks of broccoli. For me, the cheese filled me up very quickly. I'm not sure if your doc would approve the soup for you pre-op, since it is high in fat. I avoided anything containing tomatoes and citrus juices until a week ago. They are still a little tart for my tummy.

Good luck on your journey!! No matter how hard this part seems, it WILL be worth it. :)

Oh, one more comment. Hubby can eat what he likes, but buying fresh bread for himself is just CRUEL! LOL

Why not make up one big batch of things like pancakes and store the extras in the freezer? If you make them the right size, he can toast a few up for a meal at a time and you don't have to stand there drooling over pancakes every morning! :)

I am going to be starting my pre op diet next Friday and I am sure will feel the same as you. So from what I am seeing on here it is normal. Do not beat yourself up. Can you write it down for your husband how to make things so you do not have to do it. He needs to understand how hard it is for you. If not I think Lissa's idea to make a bunch and freeze sounds like a plan. Keep your chin up, You can do it. I know I will be asking the same next week. Good luck with your surgery!!!

it WILL get easier. The 3rd day seems to be the worst for everyone. Try doing some "creative cheating" ;). Have the broth from a cup of egg drop soup...it's essentially chicken broth, right? I drank gallons of chicken and beef broth pre and post-op. Pre-op, sometimes the problem is texture. Try freezing your Protein shakes into pudding or freeze longer for an ice cream texture. If it feels like you're cheating, it might be easier to get them down. I was allowed SF popsicles, any flavor, so I ate a bunch of them. If you are allowed juices, they freeze well, also. I wanted things that didn't taste sweet, so I did lots of the broth. But, you can run almost any kind of broth-containing Soup through the blender. Maybe having pureed chicken noodle doesn't sound good now, but it might just hit the spot further into the diet. Also, I liked the one cup of pureed Wendy's chili I had pre-op. I sipped it like a drink, but it was definitely different flavors! I also ate broccoli and cheese soup post-op, avoiding the chunks of broccoli. For me, the cheese filled me up very quickly. I'm not sure if your doc would approve the soup for you pre-op, since it is high in fat. I avoided anything containing tomatoes and citrus juices until a week ago. They are still a little tart for my tummy. Good luck on your journey!! No matter how hard this part seems, it WILL be worth it. :)

THANK YOU so much Lissa,you are a great supporter and I LOVE the idea is Wendy's chills puree??? Can I eat that pre op? just buy one and put it in the blender and sip it??? I will buy frozen foods for hubby from now and on and YES it was very CRUEL to see that huge french bread and still in the kitchen and I don't even look at it lol. I will hide it. My favorite foods were bread and pastries :(

I am going to be starting my pre op diet next Friday and I am sure will feel the same as you. So from what I am seeing on here it is normal. Do not beat yourself up. Can you write it down for your husband how to make things so you do not have to do it. He needs to understand how hard it is for you. If not I think Lissa's idea to make a bunch and freeze sounds like a plan. Keep your chin up, You can do it. I know I will be asking the same next week. Good luck with your surgery!!!

Thanks Laura :) I will be here to support you if you feel like I am feeling now. I am SURE we CAn do this!!!! Like Lissa said it will be worth it to be healthy and skinny :)

Oh, one more thing. Someone posted elsewhere that they liked to chew ice. I can't do that because I have sensitive teeth, but it might help with the desire to chew...and it's basically Water. Maybe that's a solution for the desire to eat right now?

Lissa I just checked the nutrition facts for the Chili's in Wendy's and it kind of high in fat :( has like 60 g of fat

I just looked up the nutrition facts on their website and it says that the small chili has six grams of fat, 17 Protein and 21 carbs with 210 calories. It does look like 60, though, because of how they wrote it. Lots of other sleevers and WLS folks recommend Wendy's chili as an acceptable Protein source and I wondered how they could do that if it was that high in fat. But, six isn't too bad.

Did you find it listed somewhere else? I'm curious now. :)

I just looked up the nutrition facts on their website and it says that the small chili has six grams of fat, 17 Protein and 21 carbs with 210 calories. It does look like 60, though, because of how they wrote it. Lots of other sleevers and WLS folks recommend Wendy's chili as an acceptable Protein source and I wondered how they could do that if it was that high in fat. But, six isn't too bad.

Did you find it listed somewhere else? I'm curious now. :smile1:

it says 60 calories from fat and 6.0 total fat , So what Calories from fat?? I guess I don't know much about nutrition facts LOL Also the amount of sodium is insane LOL,but I LOVE their Chili, I won't eat it now just in case because my surgeon is very strict on this liquid diet :( but thanks for idea tho :smile1:

http://www.wendys.co...d/Nutrition.jsp

Here's a link to another post with my response to someone asking the same info:

http://www.verticals...243#entry228243

Hope that helps!

Thanks!!! those are grew recipes,very helpful :)

well.....I think it's high time your hubby learns to cook:) I think he can probably figure out how to make a sub, I mean they hire high school students to work at subway right? I know about responsibilities to husband and yes they can be like babies at times, but he has to understand how hard it is for you to be cooking for him and try to do it for himself until you have passed some of your wls milestones, one of which is the actual surgery. Right now you have a regular sized tummy and you CAN eat, once you have your surgery you will crave different things and want to eat different things, sometimes I have no appetite at all and could cook up a storm and not be tempted to eat it. So, it is my humble opinion that hubby should support you a little bit more by cooking his own meals until you are psychologically able to do it for him......I hope that was not offensive:(

well.....I think it's high time your hubby learns to cook:) I think he can probably figure out how to make a sub, I mean they hire high school students to work at subway right? I know about responsibilities to husband and yes they can be like babies at times, but he has to understand how hard it is for you to be cooking for him and try to do it for himself until you have passed some of your wls milestones, one of which is the actual surgery. Right now you have a regular sized tummy and you CAN eat, once you have your surgery you will crave different things and want to eat different things, sometimes I have no appetite at all and could cook up a storm and not be tempted to eat it. So, it is my humble opinion that hubby should support you a little bit more by cooking his own meals until you are psychologically able to do it for him......I hope that was not offensive:(

Oh no it was not offensive :) thank you so much for your input ,you are right :)

It is easy to make cream of potato Soup. Cook potatoes peeled, or by the steam fresh potatoes. Get low fat canned milk or regular milk. Mash the cooked potatoes and add milk. Add seasonings and some butter. Put it in food processor or blender. Control the thickness by how much milk you add. This can be used after surgery once you get to thick liquids and can be the base you add Protein to.

I also make an easy chicken and rice Soup starting with 1 1/2 box of canned broth, one package of rice that cooks in 90 seconds (I like wild/brown combo), a package of frozen seasoning veggies, and a rotissery chicken from the grocery store. I take the chicken from the carcass chop it and add it to the broth in a soup pot. Cook the rice and add it to the pot. Dump the frozen veggie mix in the pot. I like to season with Soy sauce, garlic, basil, and tobasco - but this is totally up to you. Cook until the veggies are soft and the seasonings are right.

Puree by small batches in the food processor or blender. Control thickess with the amount of broth you use.