Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some of your comments are scaring me!

It took me years to get up the courage to go with WLS (I weigh 500lbs at 6' tall). My surgery is in 2 weeks. I start a 2 week pre-op of Clear Liquids with Protein Shakes on Monday. Not too worried about that. Did Optifast before and have lots of family support. But when I read post-op topics it seems that a lot of people are not doing well or are unhappy. Getting hungry all the time, having lots of cravings, only losing a lb a week although consuming 250 calories a day.

Is that only true for newby's? Are people unhappy that they chose this after a month or two months out?

I don't plan to back out now, but I'm starting to become more apprehensive than excited.

This is truly my last resort and if I don't have positive results I have no where else to turn. I can barely walk right now and so it will take a significant weight loss before I am able to do any meaningful exercise which I know will speed up the loss.

I am almost 12 weeks out. I do not regret it. I haven't had any issues. I've lost about 49 pounds. I am happy with the results and with my sleeve. :)

Do I regret my surgery? Hell, no! There are lots of postings about cravings, because cravings are in your head. The emotional relationship most of us have with food won't get fixed with surgery. Hunger? I lost mine after surgery, but some people don't and have to find ways to stay full longer. If you are looking to eat the same after surgery as before, then I think the trade-off is slower weight loss. If you are willing to forego fast food and junk food until you reach goal (or on VERY special occasions) and stick with the "dense Protein first" rule, your weight loss should be quite steady and certainly would average more than a pound a week.

This surgery is becoming more familiar to surgeons and more widely available. I have seen some posts from folks who clearly were unprepared for the aftermath of their surgical choice, but if you follow your surgeon's plan, I do not think you will regret your choice or be unhappy with your results. Good luck and keep posting!

I am 8 months out an do not regret my surgery. I do not have cravings. My weightloss has slowed down to 1-2 lbs a week but that is just normal (and if I actually worked out I would probably lose more). You have to do this for the right reason for yourself and there are going to be ups and downs along the way. So in response No I do not regret getting my life back and I am still losing. I love my sleeve.

I am also 8 months out and DON'T REGRET IT FOR A SINGLE SECOND. Please see my recent post "Hundreth Pound Gone" for my update from 2 days ago to read my story.

VSG is a great tool - good luck on your research and your ultimate decision.

NO, I defiantly don't regret my sleeve ... I've lost over 60 lbs in less than 3 months and i feel great ... now yes i have went from a size 3x or so to now in between L and XL ( it was like every other week i was going down a size) All in LESS THAN 3 MONTHS!!! I LOVE MY SLEEVE... I was self pay with Dr Aceves and it was worth every penny ( no pain, no nausea, and no complaints : ) from me .....and i would do it again in a heart beat...)

I'm 9 months and a few days out and 126 lbs down. I DO NOT regret it. I've had a couple of sad moments where I couldn't eat what I wanted at the time or the amount I wanted but whatever right? It passed quickly and I'm skinnier for it. I haven't had a sad moment since probably the 4th of July. The sleeve will work as long as you follow your program and most importantly ***embrace*** eating better with all your being. Having the sleeve makes the weight loss so much easier and we have SO much control over our bodies. That said, you need to let your brain rule and NOT allow yourself to slide back into bad habits which can be easy to do. The good news is it's a lot easier to take back the reigns if you have a bad few days. I haven't been the "Model Sleever" this week but now that we've gone grocery shopping and have some good choices for me it won't be too hard to get back on it. :) Good luck Debi. It's a hard first few months but let me tell ya.. the end result is SOOOO worth it!! Good for you on making this decision to take your life back. You'll be kicking yourself for not doing it years sooner.. I am ;)

Keep in mind that people who post with their problems are looking for help and suggestions, and there is help to be had! I have posted about being hungry but someone suggested I double up on my Priolosec dosage and that works for the most part. I'm a little hungry sometimes but so what? I eat 2-4oz of food and I'm full! I can guarantee you that whatever "problems" you might have post-op will be WELL WORTH trading to get the pounds off.

Thank you all so much. Your positive comments have really helped. I am really very excited. Especially at the prospect of being able to go to Disneyland with my grandkids and even just to be able to have the energy to go shopping or for a walk. I'm so glad for places like this that we can connect with each other. Wish me luck.

Surgery is on November 14th.

I'm two days out of surgery and in major major pain n at this point I'm sure everyone on this forum felt as I do questioning whether it was right to do and it being unbearable. But I'm sure, like everyone else, tomorrow I'll b happier with it.

Good luck b strong!

Thank you all so much. Your positive comments have really helped. I am really very excited. Especially at the prospect of being able to go to Disneyland with my grandkids and even just to be able to have the energy to go shopping or for a walk. I'm so glad for places like this that we can connect with each other. Wish me luck.

Surgery is on November 14th.

I am I think 15 wks and lost 56 lbs don't regret a thing, do I sometimes wish I could eat something that I use to yes, but is it worth it to me NO so I get over it pretty quick usually just takes a look in the mirror and the feeling is gone... I can also tell you that I am never hungry I have to tell myself to go and eat... I haven't had a stall yet until this week, and yes it's sucks and I can't help but think OMG am I done losing weight, but you know what next week is or the week after when the scale moves i'll be fine... It is a matter of defeating your mind... I read some of those post to and all I have to say about that is some People need to make sure their minds are in the right place before having any wls, alot of our problems start there, it is one big head game...

would do it all again in a second! no regrets whatsoever!! good luck!

I've kept over 100 lbs off for about 4 years now. I lost it all with the band but I would have gained it all back because the band causes so many problems. Since I had my revsion

surgery 2 1/2 years ago, life has pretty much been a breeze. After the post op diet, I starting eating whatever I wanted in small portions and now it's 2 1/2 years later, and I haven't gained it back.

Yes, I love my sleeve!

I think it's best to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. And to know everyone is different. I had a terrible time post op, but I have a friend fat betty, who just had her surgery Thursday and was home Friday and at Walmaert Saturday (say what????). I am so happy for her :)...all I heard pre op were great wonderful stories like my friends and I was not prepared mentally, in case my out come was different, which it was. I am 14 months out and DO NOT regret my sleeve for a second. The only regret I have is that I did not have it done 13 years ago :).

Debi, I am 2 months out today and I am thrilled with my sleeve. I was 352 at my highest and was having major problems walking, along with an alphabet list of co-morbidities. I "wanted" the surgery, then got pneumonia earlier this year. My doctors actually told me that I had to have the surgery/lose significant weight, or I won't be alive in a year.

All that said, I am thrilled with the results I've gotten so far. I'm down 50 pounds and able to walk more distance than I have in years. I've also taken a few rides on the stationary bike, but haven't made that a regular part of the routine YET.

You will be amazed at how quickly you will feel better and you will probably lose weight faster than any other poster since you have more to lose. I try hard not to compare my weight loss to others, but it seems that I lose faster than those who started at weights lower than mine.

Good luck with your decision and your journey!! :)