Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

19lbs. lost in 7 days of pre-op diet.

I'm a successful failure on my pre-op diet. My Dr. requires 3 weeks Protein Shakes, broth, sugar free jello/pop sickles. I'm not doing well. In the morning I drink a Muscle Milk Lite, then broth in the afternoon, BUT after my 2nd Muscle Milk later in the day I feel SICK. Nauseous, Stomach Ache, Light Headed and Weak. I've lost 19 lbs so far in 7 days of this diet. The failure part is... in the evening I have to take prescription meds (metformin and synthroid) as well as Iron and a multi Vitamin. I have been cheating. In order to get those medicines down I have been eating Veggies. I feel sooo guilty but I am NOT OK. What should I do. I have called the Dr. They haven't called me back yet. I made a PCP apt for this Friday. I need some guidance. Help,,, I'm Sick, Weak and Guilty.

Hugs and Luck!!!

It's sooooo weird cuz im on the same diet n my dietician just said on the phone that veggies r ok!! Like asparagus spinach n broccoli n lettuce. I would think it's not cheating.

Have you thought of maybe blending the veggies or maybe doing a V-8? I know you need to stick with the plan but you also have to be healthy for surgery. I am sending positive thoughts your way and hoping you feel much better soon.

Maybe you should think about switching your Protein drinks. I haven't tried muscle milk but maybe you just need something else. Is muscle milk a Protein Drink or a Protein meal repacement, because that is really important. You won't be getting the neccesary nutrients and Vitamins to survive for long on the pre-op diet unless you are drinking a Meal Replacement.

Besides that just talk to your Dr, they know we aren't super human and are usually nice about things. You are not a failure at all. Lemme tell ya, you are cheating and eating veggies that's a good thing! Most people, including me, do not cheat and eat veggies. I started my pre-op diet on 9/26 this year and fell off the wagon after 14 days. I cheated BAD. Mcdonalds, sodas, ice cream, you name it I stuffed it in my mouth for days. Don't get me wrong I was good all day then at night I was so weak and frustrated I would eat these things but still NOT GOOD for me. I am back on the wagon again after learning from my mistakes.

I am confident the Dr. will make you feel better about everything. He/She may not like that you have to eat something but there is nothing wrong with it, especially vegetables. You are doing amazing, you have lost 19lbs. Make sure the veggies are non-starchy. Usually the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver and make surgery easier. That's why I say non-starchy veggies, because they won't mess up the shrinking liver deal.

You are doing great I promise! Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

No, you are not cheating. My pre-op consisted of shake for BF/Lunch and veggies and Protein for dinner. My Dr complemented me on how good my liver looked when he was in there. Veggies are good sources of carbs that your body needs. You will be going through a drastic shortage of carbs soon enough after your surgery.

Take your medicine and eat your veggies. You and your liver will be great.

Cheating with Veggies? I'm sure you'll be ok! Of course still seek advice from your surgeon though... but something tells me you don't have much to worry about. :)

While your checking with your doctor; ask them about your synthroid... it is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach 1/2 hour after getting up in the morning. I had thyroid cancer and have been on synthroid for years and have always been told this....

I have also been told to take thyroid meds on and empty stomach and NEVER with any thing else .

supplements cancel out the synthroid.... Please ask your Dr.

Julie

19 lbs is an amazing loss! I've been on my preop for a week and half on green veggies n Protein Shakes n Vitamins n only lost 6 pounds at most :0/ another wk to go... Great job!!!!

Thanks for all the advise!!! I had surgery on Nov 1st. 3 week all liquid diet (with some very guilt ridden veggie cheats) I lost 26 total. I'm 1 week post op and am down 31 lbs. I was so worried about veggies,,, the girls that had surgery the same day I did cheated BAD!!! Oh well,,, maybe i will be able to stick to it better in the long run!!! Thanks Again for all the comments.

Gosh that's great! I dunno what I did or am doing wrong, cuz w/2.5 wk preop n 1.5 wk post op I've only lost 15lbs.