Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got home from hospital

Hi all, its my first time posting in the post op section as I had my surgery 2 days ago. I am having such trouble getting any kind of liquid in. I know it will get better but is this common. I mean a sip or two and then it hurts. It's also because i still have all this gas in my chest. Every time I sip i hear this gurgling noise like the gas is moving, but unfortunately it doesn't expel. Other than that I'm just a little tired but I don't have any real pain, just some discomfort at the spot where the drain is and only when I move alot like to get in and out of bed or stand up from a chair.

Try taking really teeny sips. I took 15 minutes to get down an ounce the first few days after surgery. Also, my stomach grumbled like a Mac truck was driving through it the first couple of weeks.

Prop yourself up with pillows in bed or sit in a comfy recliner and hog the TV. Before you get settled, upt a small container of Water by where you will be resting. Use a clock to watch the time and drink one ounce from a medicine cup or a 3/4 full shot glass every 15 minutes.

I'm sitting here almost 5 months out and 60 lbs. down from my pre-op weight. Energy has returned and I can guzzle a cup of Water at a time if I'm inclined (which I am when I drink my benefiber- it gets thick quick!). Point is, it is worth it and temporary.

Baby yourself - you deserve it!!!! I put on hand lotion and lip gloss every once in while to cheer myself up, but everyone has their own favorite thing.

Lynda

Congratulations on a successful surgery. I had the same issue the first week after surgery, with the gas and swelling, my doctor said to get down what I could, but it was normal not to get down much the first 4-5 days. It does get better. Walk around as much as possible to help with the gas and it keeps you from getting too stiff.

I'm just one week post op. For most of this week my stomach was embarrassingly loud!!! My husband even woke me up in the night once to ask if I was ok because my tummy wouldn't hush!!

Some days I had all kinds of trouble getting liquids down. Other days did just fine. Take it day by day as you and your body are trying to figure out the "new system".

Congrats on being Post Op! :)

It does get better, I promise. Get tons of rest for the next week or so. Sometimes when I was starting to feel like my old self, I would get up and do stuff and then be weak, wobbly and half dead the rest of the day and the next day. Just take it easy and you will feel so much better once you start eating mushies.

My surgery was also on 10/10, I didn't do too well. I had a lot of pain. But I noticed day by day its gets a little better. I have the gurgling and start to feel fine also when move around also then I get dizzy and exhausted. I felt like an idiot cuz this guy had same procedure same day and he was doing great. Hopefully it gets better!

Try to get yourself mobile. Walk as much as you can. I know this helped my recovery and getting the gas to absorb.

Yes, the sipping is hard, but you have to know your stomach is so swollen right now. It will get better. Try room temperature Gatorade. That is what got me by.

And take your pain meds, but know this can "stop you up", if you know what I mean. I also sipped down Milk of Magnesia, because the first one won't come for a few days and can be difficult, but everyone is different.

Thanks all. I'm feeling a little better today. No pain, just the gas bubbles discomfort, and not as bad as yesterday. I was able to drink 1/2 of a Protein drink, a little bit or orange crystal lite and I ate a little bit of vanilla greek yogurt. Still not enough liquid in, but I'm working up to it. I will try another Protein Drink now.

I haven't taken any pain meds (didn't even fill the prescription) because I generally don't like them. If I do feel pain I'll just take some tylenol but so far I'm ok. I'm up and mobile, walking around the house alot, in between resting and just watching tv. A good balance of rest and movement I think.

Every time someone asks me how I feel, my answer is - better than yesterday, not as good as tomorrow! It keeps me realizing that every tomorrow will be better than today, especially all the tomorrow to come in the next few months when I start seeing the progress and it becomes worth it.