Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your fears??

As my date approaches I am not too fearful about the surgery itself. OR going to Mexico but more of not drinking with meals anymore! lol HOW am I going to remember that?? I have always drank at least 2 glasses of Water or other drink with my meal. Guess I better start practicing not drinking.

What are some of you concerned about??

Weird I know but I'm afraid I'll wake up

During the procedure (not enough anesthesia).

about 10 months post op here, down 165 pounds and pretty much stalled. Had an initial goal of 180, stuck at 210 but LOOK like I'm below 200.

I'm afraid I'll never lose more and beyond that, that I'll be able to keep it off. I do NOT want to be fat again, or even just overweight.

I just posted on the main forums. The surgery and healing does not worry me. But..... What if this does't work? Will I keep it off? I have successfully lost a ton of weight before. But can I keep it off? What if I am a failure at this too? That is my fear

Shamrock323,

I think many of us have that same fear too! I can't wrap my brain around how I will lose weight with this? Is it really gonna help me? AAaahhhh!!!

As my date approaches I am not too fearful about the surgery itself. OR going to Mexico but more of not drinking with meals anymore! lol HOW am I going to remember that?? I have always drank at least 2 glasses of Water or other drink with my meal. Guess I better start practicing not drinking.

I am glad you said this because I actually just posted about this. I am having a major problem with that too. Of all the things we need to begin to conquer before our surgeries, this is my problem? I felt silly posting, but I just knew I couldn't be alone on this.

Weird I know but I'm afraid I'll wake up

During the procedure (not enough anesthesia).

This is not weird at all. I thought about this too. I try not to think about it too much.

oknev:

At my pre-op nutrition and nurses class yesterday I was told that the reason we are not to eat AND drink at the same time is b/c the liquid flows thru pretty quickly but the solids stay ahwile in that new tummy pouch. Putting the liquids and solids in simultaneously can stretch the pouch (or banana) out more than you want/need it to be stretched and you won't get full fast enough if your pouch is all stretched out.

In other words, say you put in liquids and solids together. The liquid flows on down to the bottom of the stomach and doesn't make you feel real full, then you add solids on top of that and add additional liquids that flow past or though the solid bits and your stomach is going to stretch. They said we should take a sip while we are eating when you HAVE TO - don't choke - but only when you really HAVE to.

Hope this helps,

\Mamasez (Leah in TX)

Sleeving on Oct 17th!

What am I MOST scared of? I need to come out of this surgery alive and kicking for my 11 year old son who has Asperger Syndrome (High Functioning Autism). Not only am I his Mom, but I am also his Teacher (homeschool), best friend, Rock of Gibralter, etc. He is VERY attached to me and I manage his special diet, supplements and meds, make sure he can function within his schedule (changes and deviations from the norm are very difficult for him) and more where he is concerned. Hubby and I are telling our son that I am on a special diet and will be going to the hospital for "some tests" when I have my surgery. Otherwise, eh would be terrified if he knew I was ahving surgery. Since he is homeschooled, he will be here with me when I get home from the hospital. Thankfully, my husband works from home, so that will help with juggling our son when I am sore and out of it if the anesthsia affects me the way it ahs in the past. I expect to be in some pain afterward b/c my pain tolerance is low and I've always been a slow healer.

I am concerned also about the usual type of stuff like: What will the pain be like? Will I lose and keep the weight off this time after going thru all this hullabaloo to make it happen? Will I be able to stop my emotional eating? Will the anesthsia make me ill? How long will it take till I can do everyday tasks again?

But we ARE going to make it through this, October Friends! This is the perfect time of year to have the surgery. We will be doing great by the holidays and not adding on tons of weight this year from all the holiday foods! We are having this done before major ice and snowstorms (for many of us) and after the horrid heat (for people like me in TX where we have finally just come out of a long, long heatwave). We have a new year ahead that will be OUR year for healthy bodies and smaller, more attractive clothes! We will be better able to get around, exercise with more ease, and feel less outcast around non-obese people. By golly, we will surely be proud of ourselves! And I know we will be thankful for the surgery in the long run. We must take each hurdle a day at a time.

Looking and moving forward!

Sleeving on the 17th,

Leah in TX, aka Mamasez

Well today I have a new worry! Found out the person who was supposedley setting up my surgery may not have set it up at all or with the doctor I requested!! I thought I was contacting the doctor's office directly when in fact this guy bought this website!!!! I am praying I don't have to try to get my deposit back from him and my surgery is actually next week with the doctor I requested!!

Feeling duped!

Hi everyone,

my fear is not so much the surgery and the recovery but the life 'on the other side'. What if it is not I as imagine? What if I miss eating? What if the weight loss isnt enough 'compensation' for having to eat tiny potions for the rest of my life? I live in France and so eating and drinking is a big part of the day here!!!

What if I miss food which has always been my faithful old friend?!!!

However, I also don't want to spend the rest of my life regretting NOT getting sleeved and wondering how different I could have felt.

My sleeve is booked for the 13th of October and I am ready for this to happen. I think i just have a little bit of last minute nerves. I keep saying to myself "don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams".

I just had my final pre-op at the hospital for my procedure 10-13-11. Biggest fear? That I won't be compliant and mess it up!

Yah, I can see that. My biggest fear is, why would the sleeve make me stop eating when I'm full??? I certainly don't stop now when I'm full....I eat all the time when I'm not hungry. Why would it be any different with the sleeve? Just a smaller tummy? Doesn't make sense to me.....that's my biggest fear. I just take into account what so many say on here, that it truly is different and you really don't want the food anymore....

We'll see. I just hope and pray that I won't be one of the ones who STAYS hungry all the time after the surgery :(

Soon2bemini,

This is another fear I have too! I can't think of too many times I eat now when I am actually hungry yet I eat!!! My sister just had the surgery tho and she says the difference is if you do eat too much you will get sick! So, guess that will be worth stopping for! Ha!