Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Phyll, :hungry:

having lived in Buffalo I don't know how you can resist. I now live in an oceanside town and they have no idea what a fish fry really is. The ones in Buffalo are the BEST. Our favorite: the Wellington Pub on Hertel. have fun and good luck

Nance

]Good Morning, All!

:update:

I saw my primary care doc this morning & she is pleased with my progress so far. I'm down 37 lb. and my BP is down.

:waytogo:

DH & I are on a "red-eye" to Buffalo NY tonight to visit family for a week. Hope I do okay with the food!! I want a Ted's Hot Dog and a Friday night fish fry!! I will only be able to eat a small piece of fish, no bread, a little cole slaw and German potato salad, I hope. Maybe I can split with someone. My Mom is a good candidate. She's 85 & doesn't eat much! She'll probably share with me. Ted's hot dog will have to be without the roll, but I'll probably have to have one for lunch one day!

I know the airplane seats will be more comfortable!

Phyll, :hungry:

having lived in Buffalo I don't know how you can resist. I now live in an oceanside town and they have no idea what a fish fry really is. The ones in Buffalo are the BEST. Our favorite: the Wellington Pub on Hertel. have fun and good luck

Nance

I agree. No one does fish fry like Buffalo! We went to a place out by the airport last night. Fish was so huge I think I ate maybe 1/3 of it and a little German Potato salad. The rest is in my sister's refrigerator! It was great!

Trip was okay. Don't do "red-eye" very well...too old, I guess! I was exhausted yesterday. Could not sleep on the plane! Seats were so tight on the second flight that they took mercy on me & put me in 1st class! That was nice, but embarrassing.

INDIGO GIRL

I'm feeling pretty close to normal. My belly is still bloated. I can't eat regular food yet. But, most of the insicions are healed except for the two major ones.

MDuvall123

I,m 62 AND my metabolism is definately slowed down. I've followed the diet and was banded on Sept 11, but, I've only lost 7 pounds. I think that once my abomen feels OK I will start and excersize program.

NM Sunshine - Don't worry about a slow start. It has taken several months for me to lose, but then the skin isn't hanging 10, I don't feel deprived. I really believe I can do this, and you will too. I continue to lose a pound every week or two. The inches are firming up. I measure once a month with my trainer. I do think exercise is the only way to go. I feel great working out, it only took 4 years of fighting it to get here.

Hugs to all,

Michelle

NM Sunshine - Not only will exercise help you lose weight, but I am now, after 4 years, finding it truly helps me emotionally.

Take care, start out slowly and wear really good shoes. I buy new ones every three months or my knees hurt.

Hugs,

Michelle

Dynamo

That sounds great as excersize is part of the commitment to a new lifestyle. I'm also going to get one of those meters that lets me know how many steps I took each day. I think the goal is 10,000 steps. My back was so bad that I couldn't stay on my feet more than 7 minutes. When I started losing weight for the pre-op diet, the backache vanished and has not returned. Staying on my feet for hours at a time is a BIG accomplishment.

I look forward to the emotional lift from excersize.

HI, I am 58 and having lapband surgery on October 5th. I am

excited and nervous. It is nice to meet others who are over 50 and happy with their results. I welcome and pre and post

op suggestions. I start my LSD this Friday. I am having my surgery at Harper Hospital in Detroit, MI.

Trudy

Dr Gazayerli

I am over 50 too, but after all those pre-surgery tests I am glad to know exactly where I stand health wise. I know my heart and lungs are fine, and what areas that the band is going to help. I feel better knowing that lapband and health are both in my future.

Hi, I was banded on 09/20 and so farI'm doing fine. I have pain and bloating but not bad. I haven't had nausea or heartburn.

But I'm not getting enough protien. I'm on a liquid diet for four weeks and they want me to have 3 oz liquid every hour or two. I'm finding that difficult to do. I'm drinking high protien but only getting about 300 calories and 30 grams protien. I'm assuming the stomach is swollen or something. I have not been hungry, only an occasional craving.

It's funny for me to say I'm not eating enough but I'll have to eat more often during the day so I can get more in.

So far so good though. I have lose 5 lbs since surgery but I realize this is probably Water loss only and not actual fat.

I'm excited about looseing the weight and improving my health.

Charlene

Hi Charlene:

Congratulations! What the dr. told me in the initial period after banding was to get the fluids in first and the Protein next. At this stage, it's probably not an issue to eat 3 meals a day. I found I was sipping fluids all day long and managed to get the protein in (40 gms per day). The dietitian suggested skim milk (1 gm protein/1 oz milk), Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added) and Protein Powder. That got me almost 30 gm in just 8 oz of Fluid. Since I sipped it over 4 hours, I also added ice cubes to keep it cold.

Nobody worried about the 3 meal a day thing until I advanced to pureed foods. Then, I still had to have the Protein Drinks inbetween meals, but I was following the fluid restriction of no fluids during and for 1 hour after meals.

Hang in there! It's been a great trip so far for me! I too have not been hungry. And the cravings have just started for me (I was banded Aug 30). And mostly they start because I had something I liked and then don't want to stop eating it! :) Not a good thing.

I'm finding some of my old, not so good food habits, trying to sneak back in. So, I'll have to pay attention more to what I'm doing. I WON'T mess this up! I LIKE the way I'm feeling 3 weeks post op!

Sue Stenzel

But I'm not getting enough protien. I'm on a liquid diet for four weeks and they want me to have 3 oz liquid every hour or two. I'm finding that difficult to do. I'm drinking high protien but only getting about 300 calories and 30 grams protien. Charlene

Trudy and Joy -

I know you are getting excited about your band. I hope you find this decision as rewarding as I have.

Trudy, I have to ask - what is an LSD diet? I smiled when I read that but I'm sure it's nothing to do with the 60's!

New Life - Sounds like you are doing well. I had no appetite for about 10 days after surgery and it was great. Then I did well until about 2 weeks before my first fill was allowed and I was starving! I lost weight those two weeks only through sheer will power. I'm still not at the "sweet spot" yet but will have my third fill on Oct 2. I will be ready as I get hungry between meals now.

I'm off for a 6 day vacation Wednesday and am worried about gaining - wish me well!! Hopefully, all the walking will help offset the "I'm on vacation and should indulge" mentality.

Marlena

hi all, I've been feeling really great and then yesterday after church was so tired I could have fallen asleep right there. Slept 9 1/2 hrs last night and needed a nap this afternoon. Anyone else experiencing this? It will be 3 weeks wed. that i was banded and have lost 13 lbs.

Nance

mistymoon

I was banded Sept.11. After surgery and for about a week, I slept 9 -10 hours at night and slept most of the day. The last two days have been good for me. I'm up cleaning house and lifting. It may be that sudden lose of 13 lbs. that is exhausting you. I've only lost 7 or 8 lbs since the pre-op liquid diet.< /p>

herghost

I'm the same way. I'm not hungry until I eat something...then I want more and more. I overdo it and the pain kicks in.

Would things like Soup, pudding, Jello and such be considered a liquid? I mean like having these with my dinner or for my dinner would act like a liquid and wash the food prom my pouch into my stomach?