Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Phyll.. I think you have me mixed up with someone else, because I am the one that lives full time in my motorhome and I am currently in the San Francisco area... My DH and I will be leaving here on the first of October for Colorado and I will have my surgery by Dr Kirshenbaum...

MistyMoon... Wow, you sure have been through alot.. Hopefully the lap band will be the last for you. Good luck to you and enjoy those grand babies.... (I've only got 9 and 1 great-grand)

Linda.... Now that you are trying harder, I bet the pounds will start coming off faster and your energy level will increase...

Thanks from everyone regarding Curves... I've often wondered if it would be a good program to try, but I don't know if I want to commit to a year contract....

You're right!! Another SENIOR MOMENT!! I got you and NMSunny mixed up!! Sorry, Gals! I remember now... you're going to CO and she's going to MX.

Phyll... NP, I think we all have those 'Senior Moments'. :) After all we are at that age where we can have them quite often.. :faint:

Not only that, but the thing I like is that when you say you've had a senior moment no one argues with you and you can get by with a lot of stuff! (HAHAHAHA)

Okay, back to the thread. 3 months out and 36 pounds down and I am stoked at my progress! Seeing numbers on the scales I haven't eyeballed for 20 years! YEAH! Trying to get down another 5 pounds or so before my trip out to California the first of October. I feel GREAT!

OMG bmi 23 You are one skinny "b" and i mean that in a loving way :lol: - I am striving to get mine to somethin like 29 which should put me at 170 lbs - I think i would look really bad at 115 lbs and i thinks that's what would give me a bmi of 23- i have been fat too long for my skin to shrink and right now i still remember lapband surgery - so i won't be having any elective surgerys for a while - but who knows - once i get to 170 (i will look like i weight about 140/130) i might want to go all the way

I weigh 147.5 lbs and this has given me a BMI of 23.8. The weight loss has affected my skin some. :phanvan It looks more tissue-y when I press or pull it. My husband says that I look older. He continues to be amazed by the weight loss, though.

Since my last weigh-in I have had a complete defill due to a bad case of acid reflux and a really painful esophagus which was the result of this. :sick I am now finally getting better but I don't know if my weight is the same. :nervous I don't have a scale at home. My pants still fit (for the moment). :)

I sure am trying to eat the bandster way and I am still doing a lot of walking. I do feel hunger more often, though. blehhh! :rolleyes: I hope to get a fill up soon.

MY GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!!:clap2:

AMEN!!! :amen: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Thanks from everyone regarding Curves... I've often wondered if it would be a good program to try, but I don't know if I want to commit to a year contract....

I signed up last night and had my first workout today--I really liked it! As far as the year contract, you don't have to commit to that. You have to pay a joining fee (which is half price right now--$76 + tax) and then you either pay $36 a month if you sign a year contract or $46 (I think) a month if you want to pay month by month. There are a few perks with the year membership but I won't go into that now. The current special ends next week and they don't know (or won't tell) what the next special will be, although my lady said that usually the specials are 30% off, not 50%. This is the summer special and the monthly fee was waived but since it's the end of summer you have to pay again in Sept.

Anyway, it was fun and I can feel muscles I haven't felt for a long time. The workout took 20 minutes and then 10 minutes for stretching. The music was fine for me (some oldies but I didn't hear "MY GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD" :rolleyes:). There were about 6 people there when I arrived but they were just finishing and by the time I left there were just three of us. The lady was really nice and helpful and made me comfortable with my ability level. Of course, there had to be one size 2 20-something girl there (to inspire, right?). The rest of the ladies were probably in my 40-65 age range. I'm actually anxious to go back tomorrow!

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It's nice to hear from people who have tried it. You guys are great!

Originally Posted by Margi viewpost.gif

MY GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!!clap2.gif

Hey Margi and Phyllser!! He IS an AWESOME GOD!! {{{high five}}} Also one of my favorite songs. As i go forward on the lap band journey HE is my strength.

I did Curves last year and loved it. I signed the year contract which i regret because after a few months I had to stop. I would have stuck with it longer if I didn't have these bumm knees. I have had 6 surgeries on both knees including partial and total knee replacements. And everytime i worked out i had to spend the next day on pain killers so after a while I talked to my Othopedic Surgeon and he told me to stop. I do have to say that I really liked the Curves atmosphere. Mostly girls in their 30, 40, 50, and 60's so there was lots of friendly chatter instead of the meat market feel I got at the last gym I belonged to. Our center had "oldies days" when all the music was from the 50's 60's and 70's we all had a great time twising and exercising. Loads of fun!!

I signed up last night and had my first workout today--I really liked it!

That's great! I'm glad you had a go at it and like it. It really is fun and w/ the short time you spend on each machine, it doesn't seem like such a chore.

Another note regarding the fees...I signed up w/ some ladies I work w/ and we were given a corporate fee which was $37 (I think...Sr. moment!) and is $29/month. It was part of a year end special. Anyway, if you can get a couple of friends from work to go w/ you, it'll be lots more fun and cheaper to boot!

Originally Posted by Margi viewpost.gif

MY GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!!clap2.gif

Hey Margi and Phyllser!! He IS an AWESOME GOD!! {{{high five}}} Also one of my favorite songs. As i go forward on the lap band journey HE is my strength.

My Band is an awesome Band. :whoo:And one of my favourite pieces of music is Handel's The Messiah. I like to listen to this all year round even though this is traditionally considered to be Christmas music.

MistyMoon, I think I read something about that surgery. Is it one where they remove a lot of the small intestine and it becomes hard to get enough Vitamins and nourishment? Has to be awful to have to constantly head for the bathroom. That happened to me because of an allergy to a medicine I was taking. But I didn't know it was the medicine until I developed angioedema (a very dangerous swelling of lips, throat and bronci) Doc said I was lucky to be alive. As for the bathroom, it seemed like I was cleaning the toilet 4 or 5 times a day. It was explosive type of diarrea. UUGGGH

Isn't it wonderful that we can now have a surgery that is reversable if need be? I hear wonderful things about Dr. Ortiz. Do you have to do the liquid pre-op diet?

Hi Sunshine

Yes that is the one - and that is why I had to have it reversed. I actually wasn't able to swallow because of malnourisshment. Very weird feeling. The Dr. who reversed it wanted me to have a stomach stapling but I didn't like the sound of it. I don't think they do that anymore either. And so here I am 20 years later and having another weight loss procedure. I don't feel bad about it though cause I did keep the weight off for a long time and the increase was gradual. Yes, I am on a semi liquid diet and have lost 13 lbs. (2 shakes and a lean cuisine) I just talked to Carolyn at Dr. Ortiz office and she said I could continue that until I arrive.

I started out at 330 - lost 40 to 290 - Gained 13 back to 303 which is when I decided to do this before I gained the whole 40 back. With the preop diet I am now back at 290. I know with my last surgery that it is great behavior modification when you know that putting something in your mouth is going to cause pain or discomfort so hopefully this will work too.

You are having surgery near mine aren't you? I forget the date.

I did Curves last year and loved it. I signed the year contract which i regret because after a few months I had to stop. I would have stuck with it longer if I didn't have these bumm knees. I have had 6 surgeries on both knees including partial and total knee replacements. And everytime i worked out i had to spend the next day on pain killers so after a while I talked to my Othopedic Surgeon and he told me to stop. I do have to say that I really liked the Curves atmosphere. Mostly girls in their 30, 40, 50, and 60's so there was lots of friendly chatter instead of the meat market feel I got at the last gym I belonged to. Our center had "oldies days" when all the music was from the 50's 60's and 70's we all had a great time twising and exercising. Loads of fun!!

Sorry about your knees, Mary! I have one knee that just kills me when I go up and down stairs but I'm hoping losing weight will help. I was worried about that when I signed the year contract at Curves but they said that with the year contract you can put your membership on hold if you have a doctor's note--a month at a time--and they won't charge you for those months. You then have to get a doctor's note to start again but I thought it was a good policy so that you don't get charged for something that is out of your control. "Oldies days" definitely sound fun!

Sorry about your knees, Mary! I have one knee that just kills me when I go up and down stairs but I'm hoping losing weight will help. I was worried about that when I signed the year contract at Curves but they said that with the year contract you can put your membership on hold if you have a doctor's note--a month at a time--and they won't charge you for those months. You then have to get a doctor's note to start again but I thought it was a good policy so that you don't get charged for something that is out of your control. "Oldies days" definitely sound fun!

When I told them I was having lap band surgery, they put my account on hold. I had my surgery in May and they didn't charge me that month and didn't start charging me again until August. I didn't even ask them either! And they didn't ask for a doctor's note. I imagine when they get to know you, they aren't as stringent about the rules.

And I was surprised because one day about a month after my surgery, one of the instructors called me just to check on me! I thought that was really nice.

My weight loss was slow until I felt restriction, and then fast, and then slow while I worked on some bad old habits. So depending when I averaged, I either lost an average of 3 pounds a week, 2 pounds 1.5 pound sor nothing! Don't compare yourself to others on this journey because you and others will go through lots of changes. Get ready to learn patience at times and be utterly thrilled at times. Your weeks will vary. BUT listen to this!

1. On my worst weeks when I really screwed up, I didn't lose but I didn't gain. I have never been able to say THAT before!

2. I am now meds free for my diabetes, and in fact I just don't have elevated blood sugar period.

3. My osteoporosis reversed itself and I don't have that diagnosis anymore!

4. I don't shop in the big girl department anymore.

5. I can see my feet, cross my legs, and and there's no belly shelf for me to rest my arms on now...oh, and my arms hang straight down.

There are lots of things to Celebrate in this journey, even on your slow weeks.