Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

I am going to speak to my doc about Chantix, grrls. I am still a smoker even though I am taking Wellbutrin and I would like to quit but I am deeply addicted. I hope this drug is available up here in Canada.

Green - good for you, figuring out why you weren't feeling well, then taking action! Wow! I want to be a goal too!

Losing weight is a challenge for me no matter what my age or state of band. Right now I am tight, which is good because I can't overeat without PBing, unless it is m&Ms or ice cream. You see the problem.

But on the happy side I worked out, drank two Protein Shakes and had lots of Water, but the old gnawing headhunger works its way into my behavior.

I deserve a healthy life and all of you do too! I keep having to get back to why I did this and to believe in myself, which is a lot of work.

Hugs and happy weekends,

Green I know I'm always popping in (and off) with advice and that must be pretty boring. But I have to concur with Gail regarding the pillows. If you prop yourself to a practically sitting position, it can work, but usually you wind up sliding down on one side or other and not truly having the head above the feet that you need. You need to be at a true slant, although it doesn't have to be so deep a slant that during your sleep you wind up falling off the foot of your bed.

With acid reflux, the very best solution - and one that can change your life, big time - is to do what Gail suggested and raise the head of your bed. It is really the only long term answer, except of course for some drugs. I had to do the drugs and they didn't do as much for me as raising the head of our bed. Anyone who tells you that you can do it with pillows doesn't know what they're talking about.

This from a woman who spent many a night sleeping sitting up in a recliner until the reflux calmed down.

I don't blame you if you brush off the suggestion because I talk so much, but you can definitely trust me on this one. It's very important that you do it and get some relief.

Btw, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that smoking really contributes to acid reflux. I see that your doc has told you about alcohol. What about chocolate? Yup that can too.

The good news is that once you get it healed up nicely and learn what makes it worse, it isn't too difficult to take care of at all. Did your doc give you Prevacid or Prilosec?

Very happy about your NSV with the restaurant prissy pot owner! Do the natives of Toronto treat fat people with as much disdain as the natives do in Montreal?

I am going to speak to my doc about Chantix, grrls. I am still a smoker even though I am taking Wellbutrin and I would like to quit but I am deeply addicted. I hope this drug is available up here in Canada.

Good for you. It'll also help a lot w/ that acid reflux. I think you'll be surprised at the results!

Hey, anyone feel up to a challenge? My b'day is August 29th and I'd sure like to be in 'onederland' by then! I need to lose 10 pounds to do so. That would be a little over 1.5 pounds/ week.

What say you? :help:

Raising the head of the bed seems like a good suggestion to me. I've just mentioned this to my husband, a long time reflux sufferer, but he's afraid that he won't get enough oxygen to his brain while he is sleeping and that his heart won't gets its rest! How much higher should the head be?

Green,

A couple of years ago, my DH and I converted our king bed to an electronic one. We opted for individual controls so each side can be raised or lowered. It's been great for my back as I can raise my legs as well.

When I was banded, they found a hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had. I had no symptoms of reflux - maybe because I sleep with the head raised (I don't know)?

Anyway, we love our electonic controls - the only downside is that because it is two twin mattresses pushed together, it's harder to "spoon" especially if one of us has our side raised higher than the other. But after 36 years of wedded bliss, we've found ways to accommodate and get a better night's rest.

Just a suggestion that worked for me - good luck to you!

Green it really doesn't have to be at that much of an angle. We've used a big 2 X 4 and that certainly worked, but we've used bricks that are smaller and they have worked too. Of course if you get jiggy with the bricks under you, the bed has a tendancy to fall off the bricks. The most important factor is that your body is at a gradual slant from toe to head. Bending at the middle isn't good. In other words, just raising your head doesn't do the trick.

My husband pooh-pooh'd it for years until I was so bad that I wasn't doing much sleeping in our bed because I was so uncomfortable. Finally after I showed him another article in a medical mag, he did the 2 X 4 thing and I improved a little each night until I forgot I had the hiatal hernia and acid reflux. Your husband might be thrilled with the results. It isn't an overnight cure, but it doesn't take long to start realizing the results.

Tell him I said that he's not getting much blood to the brain anyway because it's diverted to the area of his esophogus where it's irritated.

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :) :) :D :heh:

Hi Debi,

I'm a Debbie!

I just turned 52 last week and my surgery is this coming Thursday. I was put through the same pre-tests and my doctor also saw a little "something" with my heart. I had an echo and the nuclear scan but I now have clearance for surgery. I just feel that it's best to know everything ahead of time and I'm really glad they gave me such a thorough work up. Now ther's one less thing for me to be anxious about!

(I was in the same boat as you with only losing about 1/2 pound a week with Wgt. Watchers!)

Let the doctors do their thing and Good Luck!!

Debbie

Off to be banded I go.. Well, gang tomorrow (7/17) I will be banded.. Have to be at the hosiptal at 6:15 a.m. Have been on Clear Liquids 7/12 for colonospcy (it ok no problems) and then again yesterday and today with another colon cleasne. I have lost 10 lbs since 7/6,,

Well gotta finish somethings up... Will ck back in on Wed or Thrusday depending on how i feel..

Off to be banded I go.. Well, gang tomorrow (7/17) I will be banded.. Have to be at the hosiptal at 6:15 a.m. Have been on clear liquids 7/12 for colonospcy (it ok no problems) and then again yesterday and today with another colon cleasne. I have lost 10 lbs since 7/6,,

Well gotta finish somethings up... Will ck back in on Wed or Thrusday depending on how i feel..

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. We'll be waiting to hear how it went.

Wishing you the best, IndioGirl! Welcome to bandland!

Glad to see you are all doing well! I am doing great! Mini goal to get 50 #'s off, those last 2 pounds have been driving me! but. will get there. Am wearing a size 12 from a 20!! So, I am happy now!! 30 pounds to go yet!

Margi - good for you in your new size 12. It is a lot of work, but worth it!

Indigo Girl - how are you doing? Hope you are recovering quickly from the surgery.