Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

:straightDynamoMini has 4-16 as her band date. So I guess I replied to the wrong person. :phanvan

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. Karen

You are very welcome, Karen. :biggrin1:

Gosh - I think I confused everyone!

on 4/16

Yes I was banded 6 days ago. Wow! I am healing well. Some pain, but using the Tylenol for it. I ice three times per day too. I have started light mushies, just so I can get some Protein in. I also don't want to start a deprevation thing going. My weight loss is pretty good, I plan on two years to lose the extra 100 pounds I'm carrying around.

Hugs to all of you kindred agers,

Michelle

BJean - My doc didn't want me on a liquid diet preop, so no, I didn't do the two week preOp Clear Liquids or the two week postop liquids. I don't know, but Dr. Kirshenbaum wanted me to do high Protein, low carb, preOp and now clears to mushies to food, with Protein Drinks inbetween by week 2 or as quickly as I felt ok with. I am surprised, comparing myself to others here. I am worried I might be eating too much, but I am losing anyway. So who knows. I have a postOp appt on Wednesday. so I will ask again, to make sure I am doing it right.

DynamoMini: Don't worry about what anyone else says, listen to your own doctor! Especially if you're doing well. Perhaps he is more experienced and knows that there is no need to have us do all the Protein Shakes for so long. I actually didn't do them pre-op either. I did the low-carb, high Protein routine too. I was very slow to eat much after the surgery. I just wasn't hungry anyway so it wasn't difficult at all. I certainly did wind up needing more by the time I was allowed mushies. Got real tired of sugar free jello!

I was banded last Monday, 4/16. I know before that I read so many posts that you cannot really feel the port, or that when you lose a bit of weight you may feel it. Well, Mine is very noticeable, sticks right out, and is the size of a grapefruit?? Anyone else have this?

Also,I will call my Dr. tomorrow, I am just so sick of this disgusting pucky prepacked liquid diet I am on. This is going on the 3rd week of it. I dont mind a liquid diet, but this stuff is so disgusting it makes me want to vomit with every swallow!!

And, because of that, I barely am drinking half of it now. I know I am not getting Protein. I called the Dr. office last week and told them I really do NOT like the taste of this liquid diet, and the Dietitian told me I would just have to swallow it anyway. Well, sorry, I cannot do it anymore!!

Also, one more question, ....does anyone know why when the gas empties out, then it fills right back up again????

Margi: Gas is one of the most painful parts of this whole experience. I haven't really been able to pinpoint specific triggers. I know for sure that overeating causes it, but that isn't the only thing.

I think you should stick to your guns about finding an alternative food source. I was on a liquid diet for a while that was absolutely disgusting and it took years before I could look at another liquid supplement of any kind. The one I used (not everyday now) is absolutely great tasting. It's called Peak Nutrition and it is "bioengineered ion-exchange whey protein." I get it from my doc's office. However, I peeled off a sticker at the bottom of the container and found the manufacturer's website. It's simple: www.peaknutrition.com My dietician says it is the best on the market as far as the amount of Protein it provides, with the exception perhaps of "Iosopure" which everyone says tastes terrible (although I haven't tried it.)

Good luck getting this straightened out and I hope you have a good experience on the rest of your lapband journey.

P.S. When I have a problem with gas, my port gets very uncomfortable and protrudes so far out that I have to press on it with my hand, sometimes for a half an hour at a time. You should speak with your doctor about it. You might find that you need something like Metamusil - a lot of people here at Lap Band Talk use it regularly.

Margi - I second what BJean told you, it is ridiculous that you are forced to drink something repugnant. I think there should be alternatives. I found EAS powder that I can mix with fruit, milk or soy. You can also add some SF pudding for taste. It just can't be that bad. I thought the Isopure was putrid. You'll find your way.

I practically lived on Atkins low carb drinks and slim fast low carb drinks. I didn't mind them at all. With the vanilla slim fast, I added a little bit of orange juice and it kind of tasted like Orange Jullius. There are a lot of recipes on here in the food thread to make your own Liquid Protein drinks.

Thanks yous for all your help 'bout the Protein drinks!!! I am gonna see today what I can find, either I will call the Dr. or go to Walmart and get something. I will check out what all yous suggest!!!

You're very welcome! Lapband talk is great. We can get most anything we need answered here! I think it's so marvelous how all of us bandsters help each other out.

Have any of you felt that your band around your stomach is like a hug? I have this wonderful feeling of warmth when i think of my band. Like a little extra love from within hugging me and loving me like I've never been loved before.

I really am not on drugs you guys!

Smiling here in the snow of Colorado,

Michelle

Margi, I go to the weight center at UMASS, in Worcester MA. They recommanded sugar-free Carnation Instant BreakfastYou mix it with milk. Because it has more vit. than alot of the other mixes do. It's pretty good for a Protein Shake. There are 3 flavors, but look for the blue box (sugarfree).