Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder pain after surgery

Thanks for the heads up on the thread for September sleevers, I will look into that. Im very new to all of this so I didnt realize that people had responded to my post from September..LOL! I'm glad you are off the mushies!! I'm really struggling with eating slow and taking small bites and breaks between bites. Sometimes, I wonder if I even had surgery. :P Other than a slight choking feeling or a stuck in my throat feeling sometimes I have not felt the sensation of being "full" yet. I am never hungry and have to force myself to remember to eat.. I guess I need to start timing myself while eating. I've been trying to get most of my Protein from food sources instead of Protein shakes. I will add unflavored Protein powder to some things that have less Protein and that helps. I have trouble getting in 64oz of Fluid too.

I'm sorry about your pain.:( I hope it either goes away or they can pinpoint what the pain is.

I am glad to hear you are doing better! It is nice to keep in touch with people who were sleeved around the same time. There is actually a thread that kept track of all the people who were sleeved in september. I just got off of the soft/mushies and I am sooo glad! For the most part I'm doing great. I have this weird pain beneath my one incision and my surgeon doesn't really know what it is. If I am still dealing with it in a couple weeks he is going to order a ct scan so we'll see how that goes. I also can't get much in at all. It took me about 40 minutes to get down two ounces of chicken. I know we are supposed to stop eating after about 20 mins, but I have a really difficult time with the Protein Shakes so i have to get my protein in somehow. I would like to keep in touch as well!

Thank you so much for your input. I wish I had read these posts earlier, that trick probably would have worked. I'm new so I didnt realize that people had responded to my post. :D

I know this will sound odd, and it might be TMI, but when I had my C Section I had similar pain. It was awful, achy, and truly kept me awake at night. The nurse gave me some great advice that honestly helped. Lay down on your bed on your tummy and stick your booty up in the air sort of like a baby would sleep, you know? Rock back and forth and just stay there in that position for awhile. The nurse explained that the gas has no place to go, so by sticking your booty in the air, it helps give it another place to go and will relieve the pressure off your neck and shoulders. Sounds totally weird but it really did help me, at least I think so...lol Can't hurt to try, right? Good luck!

Thanks for the information and input. :rolleyes:

One common myth is that this is "gas pain", that is the gas is migrating up to (pick one) your back, shoulder, elbow, whatever. This is just not the case. Most of the gas that is injected into your belly (to pump it up and give the surgeon room to work) is expelled upon closure, it just passes right out the hole as they pull the final instruments. The rest that's left is adsorbed in a matter of hours.

The pain IS caused by the gas but is actually caused by the gas ballooning and compression of the body cavity, the organs and the nerve bundles in the abdomen. The gas can irritate nerve pathways that can cause direct pain or what's known as "referred" or "phantom" pain. Analgesics have no real effect on this type of pain since it is for all intents and purposes not "real" and being generated by the firing of irritated nerves.

Time is the only cure. Nearly everyone who has laproscopic surgery of this type has it. It will pass.

Yay for September Sleevers!!!:rolleyes: Thank you for responding and giving me the adivse. The Gas X strips definately did not work for me either. I guess all of the walking and time finally worked it out. I hope you are doing well!! Are you on soft/mushy phase???

I was just sleeved the day after you, Stellasmommy, and the Gas-x strips didn't do anything for me. My dr. told me to lay off the Lortab and take liquid tylenol if I could, because the strong pain killers kinda make your bowels stop working. He said once all of your plumbing is working properly, you should be able to "pass" it wink.gif. So far that has helped, but still have some pain/pressure left. Hope you get better!

I had my VSG 2 weeks ago and still having the left shoulder pain right under the left clavicle. Anybody have it this long? It is worse after taking a deep breath :( Thanks for help.

Hi new nana....I had my surgery on 8/26 and I'm in the same boat. It's one of the worst pains and the absolute worst when I lay down or take a deep breath. I've tried warm compresses and no luck. A friend of mine who had surgery a year ago said to just massage it, walk as much as possible and unfortunately, just wait it out. UGH I know!! Hers lasted about 3 weeks. It's all related to the gas used during surgery. I even have problems still taking in a deep breath which the doctor related to the gas too. I know my reply isn't really helpful, but at least you know you're not alone. I wish you the best of luck and lots of quick healing!! xox

I am 16 days post surgery and I still have shoulder pain. Worse at night and first thing in the morning. Can't really bend over, then is when I have the pain. Which bites because I can finally bend over and cut my toenails and put on shoes with ease but can't because of the pain.