Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BCBS - Federal Basic Costs

I have BCBS Federal insurance (Basic). I have had more trouble getting answers for everything that I have to turn to you all for some help. First, I was told I was approved on the phone. Then I got a letter in the mail stating they needed further documentation. I called to ask what the deal was and they told me I wasn't approved. My doctor's office called and got it all straightened out. So, I am scheduled for surgery on October 3rd. The hospital called me to schedule my pre-op testing, which includes blood work, EKG, and upper GI test. I called the insurance to see what those tests would cost, and they told me the blood work is covered, but the EKG would be $75 co-payment, and the upper GI was considered surgical so it would be $150 co-payment. When I look in the book, it says $25 co-payment and $75 co-payment. I also called the hospital to see how much my surgery and everything would be - they said 20% was my responsibility. I didn't even get to the pre-op testing because I know 20% is wrong. Can anyone shed some light on what are my actual costs? Oh, and I almost forgot.......I got a bill for $390 for my psych evaluation, when it clearly stated in the insurance book that I should only pay $25 co-payment. When I called to question BCBS, they had no explanation. They said they would send it to their team lead. What should I do? Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm not understanding what's going on. For my psych eval i paid the $25 dollar co-pay and that's it. All of my pre-testing was bundled into my final bill, and that was only $300. My surgeon's bill was only $150. I don't get it?!?! we have the same exact insurance. If i were u I would talk to whomever handles the insurance for your surgeon. With Dr. Taylor at Barix in Ypsilanti the hospital and clinic were one unit, so i did'nt have to deal with too many people, but i'm thinkin your bill should'nt be too far off from mine. Alot of things have changed for these surgeries since the beginning of 2011. Almost everything BCBS told me from the whereabouts of my submission forms to costs was incorrect, but your surgeons team should know the correct information. I'm sure they've delt with alot of different insurances. Good luck...and keep me posted.!

I'm not understanding what's going on. For my psych eval i paid the $25 dollar co-pay and that's it. All of my pre-testing was bundled into my final bill, and that was only $300. My surgeon's bill was only $150. I don't get it?!?! we have the same exact insurance. If i were u I would talk to whomever handles the insurance for your surgeon. With Dr. Taylor at Barix in Ypsilanti the hospital and clinic were one unit, so i did'nt have to deal with too many people, but i'm thinkin your bill should'nt be too far off from mine. Alot of things have changed for these surgeries since the beginning of 2011. Almost everything BCBS told me from the whereabouts of my submission forms to costs was incorrect, but your surgeons team should know the correct information. I'm sure they've delt with alot of different insurances. Good luck...and keep me posted.!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!! I don't know what is going on either, but the people working at the call center for BCBS know absolutely nothing. It is amazing how many different answers I get when I call. And as for the 20% of the surgery costs, the hospital actually told me that, but they are going to look into it further. So you paid a total of $450 for the surgery and $25 for the psych evaluation? What did you pay for nutritional counseling? (I only went one time) I think when I go have my pre-op testing on Tuesday, I might just not pay anything and tell them to bill me. This is ridiculous. I recently had a child with this insurance and only had to pay $100 for everything - hospital stay, c-section, doctors visits, ultrasounds, etc. It was a breeze - no arguing or anything. So why would I have to pay so much for WLS, and why the headaches of everything? Such a pain! Anyway, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

I had to pay 150 dollars for the psyc visits 25 for initial consult, 25 for the test and 100 for the report. I have only been billed $150 for the surgery. I have not had to pay anything for my follow up visits with my doctor or nutritionist. I am 4 months out but I believe my 1st year of follow up visits are covered by my doctor. I see both doctor and nut at the same time so it is considered 1 co pay. That is probaly how this team packages the surgery.