Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will food taste good again?

Monday will be 7 weeks and food is really hard for me to eat. The only thing that tastes good is yogart and a few Soups. Everything else tastes weird. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. Then I can only eat a few bites cuz it does not taste good. I know I was suppose to lose the hunger sensation but I did not realize the taste would be so off! It really makes it hard to get in the calories I am suppose to. It it were not for Protein Shakes I would be in trouble. But I would like to at least enjoy what little I get to eat! How long does this last?

If your body is in ketosis that might be causing some of the weird tastes. My first few weeks I was in ketosis and everything tasted a little odd. I didn't like the ketosis feeling so I added some complex carbs in (fruits) and while my carbs are still staying below 30-40/day, I don't think I'm in hard-core ketosis and things seem a lot more normal. What are you allowed to eat? I couldn't wait to add in some spices and I am now loving most of what I get to eat. My newest find (recommended on here by a few people and also by my parents!) is the carmelized onion chicken burgers from costco. 1/2 a burger is 2 oz and it's got a ton of Protein and YUM!!

I went through something very similar.. And I agree with Indymom, once I added some fruit to my diet, the " what is wrong with this food" taste bud problem pretty much went away! I started with low sugar applesauce, and then moved on to watermelon and peeled grapes. I'm now 2 months out, and can eat several grapes at a time, skin and all! food tastes so much better now, and I eat whatever I want just really tiny portions! I would try some fruit, and give it a week.. I'm sure it will get better! Good luck!

I'll second the caramelized onion chicken burgers. They are good. And if you are cooking for others, you can really add to it for a wonderful meal. The other night I heated the chicken burgers up. Then I topped it with low fat pepper jack cheese, Thousand Island Dressing, and placed on a heated onion bread bun. And I served with baked sweet potato fries with a touch of cinnamon and sugar. This is what I served my family and they loved it! I just had the chicken burger patty (only half of it) and a couple of the sweet potato fries. Oh, and I bought the sweet potato fries at costco, too. :rolleyes:

If your body is in ketosis that might be causing some of the weird tastes. My first few weeks I was in ketosis and everything tasted a little odd. I didn't like the ketosis feeling so I added some complex carbs in (fruits) and while my carbs are still staying below 30-40/day, I don't think I'm in hard-core ketosis and things seem a lot more normal. What are you allowed to eat? I couldn't wait to add in some spices and I am now loving most of what I get to eat. My newest find (recommended on here by a few people and also by my parents!) is the carmelized onion chicken burgers from costco. 1/2 a burger is 2 oz and it's got a ton of Protein and YUM!!

I have been eating watermelon and a few grapes. I will add more fruit and see what happens. I appreciate the help.

Just informational :rolleyes: I am 15 months out and at goal (lost 100lbs and trying to keep it off! lol) As for me, the taste of SOME foods returned after a few months (I've eaten fruit from the beginning) but your taste buds DEFINITELY change and some foods you dearly adored prior to VSG, don't EVER taste the same. In some instances, that's a BLESSING, in others, not so much! lol

I've never heard that on any plan