Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting Sugar grams instead of Carbs?

I went to see the nutritionist yesterday for my 6 month followup. One of the topics I talked to her about was what level of carbs I should aim for each day (to get her opinion). She said I didn't need to count carbs, only to track the sugar grams. Does anyone do this? If so, how many grams of sugar do target for each day?

I don't track anything except Protein. I just add up my protein mentally through the day (egg 7, greek yogurt 20, chicken 10 etc). And then I eat whatever else-usually healthy but sometimes not-never very much. I cannot handle much without feeling quite sick. I have no nutritionalist visits because I traveled for surgery. I'm pretty much on my own, with my surgeon's instruction book and this forum. I literally have no idea how many Kcal I have in a day because I despise food tracking (altho I know it works to lose weight). Right now I'm actually trying to eat more to prevent anymore weight loss! If I start to regain I'll have to track more to get back on track.

I don't track anything except Protein. I just add up my Protein mentally through the day (egg 7, greek yogurt 20, chicken 10 etc). And then I eat whatever else-usually healthy but sometimes not-never very much. I cannot handle much without feeling quite sick. I have no nutritionalist visits because I traveled for surgery. I'm pretty much on my own, with my surgeon's instruction book and this forum. I literally have no idea how many Kcal I have in a day because I despise food tracking (altho I know it works to lose weight). Right now I'm actually trying to eat more to prevent anymore weight loss! If I start to regain I'll have to track more to get back on track.

How did you like Dr. Pleatman? Would you recommend him for VSG surgery? I'm from Michigan.

Debby, I had Dr pleatmen too. He comes off as a bit standoffish over the phone but when I met him he was confident and informative. I had a great surgery experience and Dr's hospital was great. If u want specifics please feel free to ask.

I don't really count carbs or sugar. I do use myfitnesspal and it does calculate this for me tho. I usually get less than 24 g of sugar a day.

Kelly :)

I went to see the nutritionist yesterday for my 6 month followup. One of the topics I talked to her about was what level of carbs I should aim for each day (to get her opinion). She said I didn't need to count carbs, only to track the sugar grams. Does anyone do this? If so, how many grams of sugar do target for each day?

I just saw my doctor on Wednesday and that is exactly one of the questions I asked him... He didn't give me a total for each day but he did tell me to try to keep the sugar less than 10 grams if at all possible but if an item had more,then be sure to keep it under 15 grams of sugar. I would say you just have to be aware of the amount of sugar you are consuming and keep it as low as you can. It can be hard finding low sugar in things but it is well worth it when you see the loss on the scale. This is a life style and it takes some work but you will be glad you did it.

I was very pleased with Dr. Pleatman. The cash pay price was mighty fine and I've been doing great! I thought he was a good surgeon with a good office staff. I'm 3 hours away so I don't go back for anything but I do email him with updates. I thought his personality was fine but I'd be fine with a jerk who was a good surgeon! That wasn't my experience tho.

I really didn't like all the staff of the hospital telling me I was too small for the surgery but WHATEVER-cause I won't ever see any of them again! That experience was an excellent exercise in learning to not care what others think. They should see me now!!!

Oh goodness yes... I DID count Sugars (not sugar alcohols mind you) definitely. I liked to keep my total sugars to less than 10g per day. That's not easy to do, but I was able to do it - and it sure worked. :) Good luck!

I count both. I don't go over 30 grams of carbs in a day. I don't drink/eat anything that has more than 4 gms of sugar in it.