Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's wrong with me??

Thanks for your quick response. I probably just need a kick in the butt. I want the band to be a magical tool and I know it's not. My jaw drops open when I see people who've been banded less than 2 or 3 months and have already lost 30-50 pounds. How do they do that??

Would you mind sharing your "never eat" list with me? I'm sure that logically I know these things, but I'd love to see your doctor's list.

No scientific poll here but it seems to me the really fast losers....either start at a much heavier weight than most OR they are hardcore exercisers.

It doesn't just happen....at least that has been my observation.

Hi There:

I was banded on Jan 11, 2006 and weighed in at 203. Today is August 1st and I weigh 167. I have lost 36 lbs. But I have not lost anything in the last 3 weeks. I never eat pizza or rice anymore. I do eat potatoes, but only 4 or so times a week. I have not been able to eat meat since my last fill. So I have salads and Protein shakes and Protein Bars. Also, I eat Fage yogurt every day and have now started to drink much more. I haven't exercised at all because I work 50+ hours and am so darn tired. And lazy.

I was discouraged because I thought I should lose faster, but I am now realistic and I am counting my blessings with this weight lose I have so far. The band is a tool and I have to learn how to use it better.

47lbs to go.

Carolb

Hi There:

I was banded on Jan 11, 2006 and weighed in at 203. Today is August 1st and I weigh 167. I have lost 36 lbs. But I have not lost anything in the last 3 weeks. I never eat pizza or rice anymore. I do eat potatoes, but only 4 or so times a week. I have not been able to eat meat since my last fill. So I have salads and Protein shakes and Protein Bars. Also, I eat Fage yogurt every day and have now started to drink much more. I haven't exercised at all because I work 50+ hours and am so darn tired. And lazy.

I was discouraged because I thought I should lose faster, but I am now realistic and I am counting my blessings with this weight lose I have so far. The band is a tool and I have to learn how to use it better.

47lbs to go.

Carolb

Hi Carol,

How are these potatoes prepared?? If you are leaving the skin on, Baked, we are talking 51 grams of carbs (not real good) and 16 grams of sodium (ewww). Not to mention about 220 calories (which isn't awful, but if you aren't exercising..its adding up) Also what do you put on these potatoes?

Protein shakes...too many is not good...I don't know how many you have. And Protein bars.....ugh check the label I only use them in an emergency........they are pretty high in calories and the carbs...again...yikes...carbs in protein bars can range from 25 to 36 grams....If these are just a snack for you -(I know I may get yelled at for this-but its true) you'd be better off with a York Peppermint Pattie. Salads are another blind spot for hidden carbs....what's in your salad? and what type dressing are you using?

Your heart is on the right track but you might just be suffering from a case of too much of a good thing. Too many carbs will also attribute to getting really tired...you come crashing down from sugar carbs and bam you're exhaused. This was not to take away from the fact that you work 50+ hours a week, but the carbs def are not helping. You are actually eating like you are going for weight lifting competition. (just cut back and you will see a def change in your weight loss)

Be careful and best wishes!

I agree with most everyone so far. You need to change your diet. I was banded in November of 05 and have had two fills. My starting wt was 216 and now I am 148. It was slow at first, but once you see some of the weight coming off it gives you more determination to continue. Also, I DO NOT weigh myself more than 1x a week. My biggest challenge is getting in all the Water. You really do have to change your whole way of looking at food. Now, with the restriction, I cannot eat a lot of things, especially red meat. chicken is okay if I chew it really good. I hate fish, so that is out. But here is my list of changes. No soda or pop whatsoever. I have given up all the "white stuff" as Oprah puts it. Don't miss it anymore and it usually only getz "stuck" anyway. If I feel I need to have some bread, which is once in a blue moon, I toast it first. But it's not worth getting stuck over. I have had some sherbert as a treat. But I no longer gorge on the muffins, donuts, etc. Don't want to anymore. My life has changed now and I am no spring chicken either. I will be 60 in August and the older you are, the harder it is sometimes. Hang in there, try to focus on you and what you need in your body. Skip the pizza, spaghetti etc. Try some other foods that are healthier. I know it is hard with kids around as you cook for them and then you need to find the time to make your own meals. But....this is now about you and you need "your time". God Bless...you will make it.