Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 5: no sleep

I did not sleep the night before my surgery due nervousness. I did not sleep the night of my surgery due to needing to walk every hour for circulation and gas. I did not sleep the next day due to pain. The day after that the doctor gave me a shot for pain and a sleeping pill. I slept 5 hours that night, and woke up several times during that night. Last night I did not sleep because I was in pain, and we had to be up at 3am to catch our flight home. Now I am unable to sleep tonight. This is driving me nuts!!!

I get little naps here and there, just from pure exhaustion, but it is mainly in the sitting position, and leaves me uncomfortable and stiff. It is not a true pain that is keeping me awake right now. Its like this uncomfortable feeling inside me near the port, that is so uncomfortable it is almost painfull. I have tried putting a pillow under my stomach. I have tried laying on my back, sides, and even sitting up in bed. I seem to get comfy, and a few seconds later the uncomfortableness starts in the port area again, and i have to sit up and lean forward.

Did any of you deal with this? Did you just suffer through it? Was there something magical that you figured out? This is so frustrating. I need to get some sleep badly!!

Funny, I went through that phase and it subsided a week later. You'll be ok. It's just your body trying to accommodate all of this new trauma. The port side pain or discomfort, not being able to just...get out of bed... gas and shoulder pain. All new and all temporary.

It will be over with in a few days.

Funny, I know this might sound nuts to you.. But when I went in for my post op teaching class the other night.. We were told that if we had uncomfortable aches or pain in the port area.. Ice it for 20 min. at time through out the day and night. I hate ice, personally.. but try it out and see if maybe you'll get some sleep after the first try or two with the ice. A few people who have been banded said it worked wonders for them. But all of us are different.. Just a suggestion.. Best of luck

Glad to hear you're home! As said, this too shall pass! The first 5 days were the hardest for me, some say it took a little longer, some less. Some folks swear by sleeping in a recliner.

Not being able to sleep and being in pain too :), very frustrating. Could be your bodies reaction to surgery, anesthesia, .. your general state of mind. It's not even uncommon to pass through a small post op depression (which can cause a lack of sleep OR too much). I generally would take my liquid painkiller (ie liquid tylenol, vicodin, etc) right before bed and managed. I'll be this time next week you'll be doing much better!! :mad:

Funny,

Put a heating pad on your tummy where the port is. It should help.

Lay back in the bed propped up with a couple extra pillows.

P

I agree with the heat and ice, my doc suggested alternating them... I also had one of those vibrating pillows to hug on, and it helped (or maybe it just took my mind off of the pain!!!) hehehehe

Try to take your mind off of it, and it will pass quicker (please don't read my archives after this-I was the biggest baby from day 3 on!!!)

Oh, and don't try to lull yourself by going off liquids too fast, it does more harm than good, believe me, I know! (now you can read my archives-hehehe)

Congrats on taking a super step toward a healthier you, Funny! You will do great! You'll be sleeping again soon...if not, I can recommend some videos or novels that will surely bore you to sleep!!

Chin up!

~cheri

Well last night I finally got brave and actually rolled onto my port side. No, I wasn't laying on it, but I was laying on the side, and it was uncomfortable at first, but with a carefully placed pillow, and a few burps, I got comfy. And passed out like a drunken prom queen. It was fabulous!! I slept all the way through till about 5 minutes ago. hehehe Close to a full 8 hours. I woke up this morning and I have no pain. I am serious. No pain. I am still going to take it easy today. I think my pain yesterday was from all the fast walking at the airport and wearing myself out. I think that when I laid on my non-port side, even with my tummy supported with the pillow, the port would still pull on the muscle and that was what was causing the pain. I can't wait to be able to sleep on my stomach again. I was a total insomniac when I was pregnant with the kids cause I couldn't sleep on my stomach, and never slept better than those first few days after they were born when I could lay flat on my stmach with my head buried in the pillow.

Amy, one thing I found that helped me the most was heat and liquid Tylenol. But just remember try hard not to be wonder women when you begin to feel better! I did and got a two week set back. Good luck with your band.. I truly believe it is the best thing I did in my life for myself... ( OK maybe 2nd... hubby could take first place! ) Welcome to band life! the band journey begins!

Hey girl,

Hadn't heard from you and was just wondering how you were doing. I can't believe how good I feel. I'm afraid I'm going to jinz myself. Yesterday I did laundry, walked the dog, dishes and the whole nine yards. Went to a barbeque tonight and took my chicken broth with me. I am though starting to get a little bit hungry at times.

I have only lost one pound in 3 days and only eating 400 calories or drinking I should say.

I never did get the shoulder pain and for sleep I'm taking the phenergran tablets and they do wonders.

Let me know how your doing. My son dropped my laptop while we were gone so we took it to the shop yesterday and they said it would be at least 800.00 and I gave 1800.00 for it so I didn't want to just pitch it so dh ordered me another online tonight from sam's so in a couple of days I'll be online more. I don't like this office chair and I am spoiled by the laptop so I'm not on here but about 5 min. and I'm done.

How was your flight? We got to Houston and by the time we got through customs they were shutting the doors on our connecting flight. The min. we buckled our seats we were in the air. wheewwww

Let me know how your doing. Was getting worried about you.

Well last night I finally got brave and actually rolled onto my port side. No, I wasn't laying on it, but I was laying on the side, and it was uncomfortable at first, but with a carefully placed pillow, and a few burps, I got comfy. And passed out like a drunken prom queen. It was fabulous!! I slept all the way through till about 5 minutes ago. hehehe Close to a full 8 hours. I woke up this morning and I have no pain. I am serious. No pain. I am still going to take it easy today. I think my pain yesterday was from all the fast walking at the airport and wearing myself out. I think that when I laid on my non-port side, even with my tummy supported with the pillow, the port would still pull on the muscle and that was what was causing the pain. I can't wait to be able to sleep on my stomach again. I was a total insomniac when I was pregnant with the kids cause I couldn't sleep on my stomach, and never slept better than those first few days after they were born when I could lay flat on my stmach with my head buried in the pillow.

Your body is saying something--take it easy!!! Don't forget to read the sad stories of those who "pushed through" the pain. That works in many situations, but not lapbanding. Pamper yourself the next four weeks. It's healing time. Give your body the chance it needs to heal and be ready for a great life ahead!!!

I know exactly the uncomfortable pain you are talking about!! I will still get that exact pain if I let myself get too hungry or if I over eat. I have had my band for 5 1/2 years and I still hate that feeling!! I love my band though and wouldn't trade it for anything! Sometimes I will take a couple of motrin to help and it usually does. It will ease up soon, I promise and maybe you won't have that feeling anymore like I do. Most people say they don't after a week or so. Good Luck

oh funnydud...

i have been gone for so long from LBT that i did not realize that it was your time yet. congrats!

everyday will get better. i was brave enough to sleep on my belly by about the end of the week 2 or the beginning of week 3.

congrats again, and hang in there!