Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success and the very nice gentlemen...

Below is an encounter I had with a exceptionally thoughtful gentleman whom help me decide on weight loss surgery in a strange sort of way.

I recalled attending a TCOYD (Taking Care of Your Diabetes) Conference approx 3 years ago in Kenner Louisiana. In the lobby of the conference center I met an extremely nice middle age man who happened to be morbidly obese, body weight around 375 to 400 lbs. We discuss things such as diets, glucose meters, and other things pertaining to the seminar. We walked slowly around the building, the gentleman began to tired quite rapidly. As a result, I suggested we take seat on a couch until the exhausted gentleman regained his energy. After 10 minutes or so we decided to attend a few breakout sessions together. One of the things I most remembered about that encounter was that pleasant and polite gentleman could not get up on his own from the sofa, he struggled from side to side as each attempted to push himself up from the setting position. It was quite strenuous and very demanding, he was helpless and powerless to regained his standing posture. I asked him did he needed help, and his reply was yes. At that moment I convinced myself to look into weight reduction surgery. After the conference I never met the man again. Strangely, I would like to see him, maybe to thank him or offer suggestions about WLS.

My accomplishment from the sleeve (85 lbs in seven months and off all meds including diabetes) and everyday struggles occur by many experiences. So as to that one day is very difficult to forget.

wow that experience must have been very powerful to you. i wish that you could be able to contact him to help him the way that he unintentionally helped you.

Let's hope your inspiration decides to have WLS and joins us! It is interesting though how people seem to come into our lives at the exact moment we need them...isn't it? Congratulations on your weight loss and getting off of your diabetic medications! I too have now moved into the "normal" range for my blood sugar so I am doing the happy dance.

Thanks for sharing your story. :D

Congratulations on your impressive achievements. If you can't contact the man - just include him in your prayers - sound like he will need them.

It is so interesting to think of the effects people have on each others' lives - unknowingly. That man is oblivious to the profound impact he had in your decision to change your life. What encountes have each of us had with someone else where we were the impetus for change in their lives? Makes you stop and think. I think this forum is a wonderful (and for me, a new) way to interact with people. I know there are people on this forum that have inspired me in ways to successfully use my sleeve to change my life and achieve my goals.

Thank you for a thought-provoking post. Good luck to you in your journey.

Hi all,

I was at a seminar last year and saw a youngish looking woman being wheeled around by her 20 something daughter in a huge wheelchair and she still didn't fit in it. It was a huge wake up call for me. See, I have been overweight all my life and it never stopped me....even to the point of traveling around the world twice to China to get my girls. But this picture looked like my future. Did I go through all it took to get my girls just to have them wheel me around when I'm older? Heck no!!!! So now I'm a month out of surgery and with my pre-op weight loss I have lost 75lbs. Can't wait to WALK down the aisle at my daughters weddings! Onward....Tracy w.