Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts out there. I am going to have WLS and I am going through the process. I am 30 years old 5'3" with a BMI of 43. Other than being heavy I am in good health. My doctor's have said that I am a candidate for either surgery. I keep wavering back and forth between the two types of surgery. How did people decide to have the band? I need some help with this decision. I feel like the RNY is a more drastic surgery, but I am reading about a lot of issues that people are having post lap band. I know that no one can make the decision for me (as much as I would like that) but I would love to have imput.:phanvan

Thank you so much in advance!

--Deborah

I am so happy I made the right choice for me, the Lapband. I didn't have to recover from major surgery, my body is able to absorb the nutrients I eat and I losing weight at a reasonable rate (about 38 pounds since 3-28-06). I can really feel when I am full. I have not had to completely change my life style and I can have all of the same foods I had before my surgery, I just don't want as much (not near as much). With my band I can control how much restriction I feel, for ever. I have nothing against any other surgery, I just know that this was the right choice for me. By the way I am 57yrs. old and needed to lose at least 100 pounds. I hope this will help you from a purely personal point of view.

I too looked into all surgical options for weight loss. You say you have been reading about issues following lap band...have you read of any of the issues following bypass? I did, and while some people had issues with both, there was a glaring difference to me. If worst come to worst, the Lap Band was reversible, without permanently altering my stomach or intestines. I have had cancer, and there is a liklihood that in my future, I may have it again. If I needed extra nourishment at that time, I can have fill removed, and eat more to maintain my health. If at 30 you want children, there is not worry of malnourishment during pregnancy. My other issue, was quite different, I did not like the idea of never being able to eat sweets again. I eat much, much less now, but that is how the band works. I tell everyone, I want to eat cake at my grandkids birthdays, I want to live as normal of a life as I can, and for me the band was the obvious answer. At this time I only have one regret, and that is that I waited so long to have it done. It has been an answer to many prayers, I have a control over my eating that I never had before....it is wonderful!!!

Good Luck in making your decision!

Kat

Both surgeries have potential problems; the RNY issues can be more serious and life-threatening. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do the RNY; it's a very personal decision and you need to do what's best for you. After all, it's likely that the co-morbidities of being obese will kill you if you don't do something.

Keep in mind: the folks that come to this board almost all fall into 3 categories:

1. New to banding and needing the initial support as they start the journey
  2. Struggling and needing extra support to exercise & eat right
  3. Have a problem -- erosion, slippage, reflux, etc.

People who are well into their journey, losing as expected, and everything is hunky-dory -- well, there's not that many on the board as they are out living their lives. I imagine it's the same on RNY boards.

Be sure to look at Band studies data that is NEWER -- the old way of placing the band resulted in a lot more slippage than now. And get data on both surgeries from different sources. I found an appalling set of misinformation on the Band at a website of a surgeon center that specializes in RNY & duodenal switch. (which is a third option by the way). Whereas you might find that a center who specializes in banding will use similar scare tactics with their RNY data. It's hard to find unbiased info.

Good luck making your choice! (if you want references to the latest bandster studies, try joining the Yahoo group "SmartBandsters" and asking on there -- Jessie will likely have them handy or point you to the appropriate message archives)

My initial reaction to your question is "Why swat a fly with a baseball bat when a flyswatter will do?". In other words, why would you, at your age, want to undergo a radical procedure without giving a much less-complicated one a try. I understand that nobody wants to face the prospect of having the first procedure not work and have to then undergo another. However, WLS is like a haircut--you can always take more, but you can't put back what has been taken away. At your age, reversibility is a crutial factor if pregnancy or other conditions emerge that require more nutrients.

For myself, I didn't feel that my health condition (even with my excess weight) justified a radical surgery with a prolonged recovery time and complicated follow-up. I just turned 59, but I sailed thru the procedure--I have had PAP tests that were more invasive--and have had few issues (other than the typical self-induced PB's) since. I am typically impatient and would like to lose faster, but at my age, size (5') and lifestyle, my 30# since 4/5/06 has been good progress that I expect to continue without undue interruption. Being self-pay, cost was a factor that I have to admit was an issue, but it wasn't the deciding factor.

Like others, I would encourage you to continue your research and look for real data, not biased hype. I think the previous poster's point about hearing a disproportionate number of accounts about problems on these boards is a good one. I know that the longer time since my surgery, the more this band becomes integrated into my life and the more I participate in new activities and relationships, the less need I feel to spend much time talking about it--like my broken arm, lost appendix or even pregnancy all those years ago.

Good Luck

For me it came down to one simple thing (besides the major complications that can occur with RNY and the malnutrition etc)....and that was death rates. For me personally, it was a no brainer and the band was the way to go. There is nooooooo way I'm leaving the love of my life as a result of RNY death.

Sorry to be blunt but that was my personal experience.

I do realize everyone has to do what is right for them...this was right for me.

Either way, good luck!

Thank you all so much for all your good wishes and advice...I know that wls is going to be the right thing for me. I think being told that this board is bound to have more people with issues needing support than with the people that are doing really well several years out has helped me to get a little perspective. I am also reading an RNY board and someone just died 2 weeks after her surgery. I admit that was a little frightening. I have an 8 month old beautiful son, and I would not want to leave him, or my husband for anything in the world. That being said, it is hard when some of the data shows the weight loss being smaller and so much slower. Are people post band able to live "normally"...meaning, are you able to lose weight eating the right things without being hungry and without exercising like a fiend. I am walking almost every day, but chasing after a very active baby does not leave much time to go to the gym. I guess I am scared I am going to go through the lap-band and it won't work...but then again, If I go through the RNY and it does not work I cannot reverse it, (or if I can, it is dangerous and difficult).

I have never been thin, I have gained weight my whole life and I cannot seem to stop it no matter what I do...It is so hard! I want to feel healthy, and I really would love to shop at a normal sized store. I want to be around for my son and my future children.

I think I am starting to come to a decision, but I would love to hear people's thoughts about how they feel when it comes to physical hunger (not psychological, as I am sure I will have that), and the amount of exercise that you need to do in order to be successful.

Thank you again!!!

--Deborah

That being said, it is hard when some of the data shows the weight loss being smaller and so much slower. Are people post band able to live "normally"...meaning, are you able to lose weight eating the right things without being hungry and without exercising like a fiend. .

I think I am starting to come to a decision, but I would love to hear people's thoughts about how they feel when it comes to physical hunger (not psychological, as I am sure I will have that), and the amount of exercise that you need to do in order to be successful.

Thank you again!!!

--Deborah

Hi - my DH was banded 2 years ago. He was self-pay, oddly our insurance would have covered the bypass, but not the band. So we did a lot of research into it and came to the conclusion that the band was the way to go for him, so much so that we payed for it. He lives a very normal life, he can eat almost anything he wants. bread, Pasta and rice are the things that usually cause him problems. He's more active, but doesn't exercise routinely. He's lost 90 pounds in those two years.

As far as the weight-loss, yes banded people lose less intitally. But I've seen recent studies that show at the 5 year mark, the weight loss is the same. I personally decided slower was better, healthier and more chance for my skin to keep up!

I did the band because I was afraid of a greater death rate with the other surgeries, and the fact that they reroute your God given insides, and also a chance that there could be some type of leakage, etc.

I stick to Proteins mostly with some green veggies here and there. On the days I have tested my band with bread, rice, Pasta, & sweets I have had no problem. So I can eat anything:hungry: but I choose to stick with what my Dr. have for me to eat. It would be pointless to go thru all pre-opt issues, the insurance company, all the lab work, psych test, and of course the surgery, and still eat like I used to.

I try to go walking at least 5 times a week with lite weight lifting. Walking really helps slim down my wide hips. Best wishes in your decision.

HI,

Within three weeks post-surgery I could eat just about anything--including a Big Mac! However, I could only eat a much smaller portion of it than I could pre-band. Since my one fill, I have gotten several wake-up calls in the form of being stuck and PBing because I am a slow learner when it comes to "gobbling" too quickly. Ironically, things like cottage cheese will stick now where they didn't before the fill. I am starting to get the message... As long as I eat slowly and CHEW, I can eat about anything. The other day I managed a double cheeseburger, but got full quickly and ended up sharing about half of it with my poodle. I followed that up with a scoop of ice cream, all of which was an "indulgent" meal for me. Usually I do a piece of meat and veggies. I have virtually eliminated Pasta, bread, rice, etc., since they are my downfall. There is a medication that I was prescribed (which I have misplaced) that is supposed to reduce the carb craving, but I don't need it now that I have excluded these items from my diet. Of course, it is easy to do this since I live alone and don't have to cook for others.

The biggest difference between what I do now as opposed to pre-band is that I pay attention to what I eat, but I don't obsess. I try to make sure that most of what I have is high in Protein and Calcium. Because of my lower capacity, I can easily fill up, so if I eat "empty" calories, I can't eat enough Protein, Calcium, and veggies to be reasonably healthy. I do take a daily Vitamin, but I don't do other supplements. Instead of crackers, Cookies, etc., I snack on cheese sticks, yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar-free pudding and Jello, etc. If I feel the need for something salty, I do a handful of nuts--and that handful satisfies me. That doesn't mean that I don't "fall off the wagon" now and then, with the rare hamburger or handful of chips at a barbecue. However, I am careful not to make it a habit. Even so, my limited capacity helps keep me in check. I do Breakfast, a very lite lunch and dinner, with 2-3 Snacks if I feel hungry. One cheese stick or yogurt will do the trick, so I don't get hungry. If I am involved in a project or activity, I can "forget" to eat until evening. Then, I am inclined to "gobble" and get reminded why we shouldn't do that. I have also become aware that the weight loss will slow or stop if I don't get enough calories (between 800-1100 for me), and there are days when I realize that I haven't met that. I don't stuff myself, but I will eat an Atkins bar or something similar to bump it up some, then add a bit more the next day. It is amusing to me to have to be sure to eat *enough* when for so many years the challenge has been to limit my intake.

Of course, if I had eaten this way throughout my life, I probably wouldn't have a weight problem... One concern that I have is for the huge number of children and teens that are already seriously overweight. You KNOW that this inn't going to get any easier for them as they get older. The eating habits and dietary choices that you make are a powerful model for your child(ren) and could very well influence their long-term health and weight management. One of the interesting by-products of getting control of your own weight issues is often that other family members benefit from healthier choices, as well. If you train yourself to make healthy foods the dominant part of daily life, your child will see this as "normal" and not feel deprived or forced to "diet" with you.

I have good intentions about exercise, but always find reasons not to go--I do work around the place and take care of my horses. I have never liked "exercise" for it's own sake and that hasn't improved. I am sure that my weight loss would be more rapid if I could dedicate myself to a regular regimen, but that just isn't me.

The biggest reason that I opted for surgery is that I realized that, after years of trying to diet, that nothing short of UNENDING preoccupation and deprivation were going to give me a chance to achieve and MAINTAIN a healthy weight. I do not want to have to let this be the focus of my life. However, it was clear that if I didn't do something, the quality of my life was going to rapidly decline. The band has totally satisfied my need to be able to permanently limit my intake to only what is needed by my small body. Now I can get on with the rest of my life, which is much more interesting than food...

Penny

My decision was made purely on the invasiveness of gastric bypass. I didn't like the thought of my insides being rerouted. Good luck on your decision.

Hi, I decided on being banded instead of the bypass, because I am afraid of the possibility of dying. The complications associated with that surgery are way too serious for me. I'd rather be fat and alive, than dead. I'll be banded on monday, and I feel this was the right surgery for me, but don't let my fear dissuede you from anything. There are lots of people who had the bypass and are doing just fine. This is just me and my own fears. Good luck in your WLS, no matter which one you decide on.

Reading the memorials pages on the Obesity Help site did it for me - it's the lap band or no surgery for me. There's a lot that can go wrong with the other surgeries, and they often fail after a 3 to 6 years (as I've read in the published research).

I don't think that other WLS outside of LapBanding are performed all that often any more here in Australia due to the demonstrated risks and documented poor performance of these proceedures when compared to the LapBand.

Environmental and health risk assessment is a large part of my job - and therefore I am fairly familiar with the dialogue around risk factors, relative (or "Real") risks, etc. Applying some of those risk discussions to your own body and LIFE while contemplating surgery is raising some interesting issues in my little world - I always knew I was conservative and risk-averse - but didn't think I was this conservative...

Weighing up the benefits and risks of what to do next - whether to have surgery or a baby is challenging! At least the type of surgery to have is clear to me now.

I agree with everyone here. You sound like you are in the same situation has me. My insurance will only cover the RNY & not the lap band. I am going to choose the lap band. I am so scared of having my organs rearranged. I personally know someone who had gastric bypass and everything was so great,she was happy with the weight she was losing,then 18 months down the road she had abdominal pain,dehydration,and vomitting,she ended up dying.But on the other hand a few people at more work have had RNY and they look great.

Im still terrified and Im choosing Lap Band.

It wasnt an option for me to do anything else since its pretty much lap band or nothing in Australia, most bariatric surgeons would very rarely do a bypass, as lapband is considered the healthiest option.

You're young and healthy, I cant see why you'd want to do something so drastic when its not imperative that you lose a lot of weight very fast.

I like that my lifestyle post banding is normal, with smaller amounts of ALL foods, no major changes, it makes it liveable and permanent for me.