Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PS before getting to goal?

I apologize if it's been addressed somewhere else, but I haven't been able to find it.

I read this alot... people getting not quite to their goal, and getting their plastic surgery. Now... I had just always thought (waiting a year or so and seeing if things tighten up on their own, aside) that you would want to get even maybe a little less than your goal, get your PS, then once you gained a little back, things would fill in and be nice and tight.

I'm sure they're all good once you get all this work done, but wouldn't at least getting to goal, and then getting PS be better? If you get a TT and then lose 10-30 more pounds, wouldn't it just not look as good? or even, say, a boob job/lift/whatever. ?

What's the 'standard'? Do most surgeons say "Yeah, go ahead... get it done even if you're not quite done losing!" or is "Wait until you hit your goal wait, and then come see me." more typical?

Please enlighten me !! :)

Mandi

I think the thing with a Tummy Tuck for example is that if you're say 5kg above your goal weight, the tummy tuck may get you there. YOu might not need to lose any more fat and only be over your goal weight becuase of the excess skin. Probably that close to goal you'd be safe with a breast lift too.

Personally I would wait until I was at goal but I dont think its necessarily vital that you do.

Ok, ... I can see doing it at 5kg above goal (which is approx 11lbs)...

BUT... the amount you actually lose when you have skin removed is so 'iffy'. Especially if you didn't start out needing to lose more than, say.. 100lbs.. right? I just think I would want to be at the weight I WANT to be at, so I know that when I get my PS done, that's how it's going to look, and any further weight loss isn't going to create any loose® skin, and make anything sag.

I hope this isn't a super bitch question, and that's why no one else is replying. I really am not trying to condemn anyone who chooses to do it before, I just want to know more about it. :|

My doc recommends waiting 6 months AFTER reaching goal. He says to give the skin a chance, and also says to allow for time for your body to "adjust" it's shape to the weight it lost.

Course that's just him.

When I asked this question to my (future) plastic surgeon, I was told that I need to be at or very near my goal weight. (within 10lbs I believe was the number) So I guess it really varies surgeon to surgeon...

I can see going to a consult before you get to goal, but I also see what you are saying about making sure you are at goal or even a little lower than it. Also though, are the people who are really close to goal, can't seem to lose more weight, and the ps would take off the lbs they can't lose and take them to goal.

For me, I know I am going to want a breast lift when I get to goal, but other than that, I want to wait it out and see how much it comes back on it's own. I don't think it'll get nice and tight by itself, but if I let it tighten up as much as it's going to, I'll need less work done.

My surgeon also does PS, he said wait until I am at goal. Oh well, so much for the short cut. I know what needs to be "tucked" would be about 10 lbs of weight gone.

I waited to goal weight to go for PS. Yes, I will end up under goal weight when it is all said and done, but the weight will only come off one area, and not my whole body. (that may not make sense to anyone, I think I know what I am saying, but it is 4am...) I will end up looking more in proportion than I do now.

Plastic surgeons in Oz are a picky bunch. They like you to be as close to goal as you can be (or think you will get) and they make dammed sure that you know that PS is not for weight loss at all (and they bash you over the head with the fact that you will have a huge scar - like a scar is worse than a belly that slaps your thighs?)

And as for the wait time... That is so individual. For some people all the time in the world will not fix their skin. I know it wont in the case of my belly. My arms and legs? Hell yeah! Give 'em another 6 months, and they will look fantastic. My belly? No way. I had a twin pregnancy, closely followed by another single pregnancy, then became morbidly obese all within a matter of 2.5 years. I am lucky my belly dosent touch the floor.

The general "wait 6 months to a year" thing is just a guide. And how close to goal is really, in the end, up to you and your surgeon.

It's been a year since surgery. I have lost 60 pounds with another 40 to go. I am not convinced that i will ever make my goal weight but that is another story. Anyway, my arms and upper thighs are so flabby right now. I go to the gym, do aerobics and weight training. Personally I don't feel that the skin is gonna adjust. I am losing slowly but consistantly so I think if it was going to adjust it would have done so. Right?

I received a referral from my Dermatologist to go to a Plastic Surgeon for a consult. I need a resurfacing mole to be removed and will get some advice on the TT and breast lift. I will ask him about the TT and what the standards are as far as how long we should wait, how close we should be to goal weight, etc. I will follow up here and let you guys know what he says. I will most likely not have the P.S. done in the US, I may see Dr. Cardena's (Funny's Doc) for the surgery since I've heard nothing but good things about him. Research...doing lots of research now.

WOW - you are down 67 pounds in three months!!!!! I really am a slow loser! Anyway, do keep us informed about what you find out

My Dr did my TT and BL because my belly has hung low since I was 17 yrs old. I have lost weight a few times and the belly never went back. He said with the amount of weight lost now and considering I only wanted to lose another 15 kg I could go ahead and have it done. I remember him telling me on my first visit that it would be terrible to carry that amount of skin around each day and he would do whatever he could to help me....which he did. I have lost about 8 or so kgs since the tuck and the tummy is still ok, I dont know how it will be when I am finished but if it is loose again he said it is a small procedure to have the skin removed, it is the muscle repair that causes pain with a TT and I wouldnt need to have that done again.

I am searching for great plastic surgeons, U.S. or Mexico based and would like to get the names of some doctors that banded people have used. Any input? I'm getting a TT w/lipo and breast lift, maybe even butt contouring.

Telly

There are some great suggestions, information and resources on the OH Plastic Surgery Message Forum. You read a lot of good recommendations, experiences, and see lots of results there.

Good Luck

NewSho,

Thanks for your input, I'll google it.