Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for you all about complication

Recently I fired my WLS surgeon, and for the time being my PCP is following me. Twice now he has said to me that I am at greater risk for lung collapse. So yesterday I said to him, "Even 8 months post op?" and he said yes. Now I know he is out of his realm here, but is he right? I can see shortly after surgery and if I had a leak but forever? Any one else ever heard of this?

I've never heard or read about such a thing. Is this related to sleep apnea?! Hope you get to the bottom of it!

I've never heard of it either at ALL as a "complication" of VSG - I mean it can happen for a variety of reasons during ANY surgery but the VSG is done completely BELOW the diaphragm, not ABOVE it in the pleural space where the lungs actually are. I hate to suggest it but I think your doc is goofy :)

have you had prior history of any lung disease? I'm not sure why you would be at a high risk of a lung collapse...do you smoke, and mabye he is trying to get you to quit? have you ever had build up of fluids in your lungs? Or mabye is he going off of chest x-rays from your pre-op? if so I would think that he would have addressed this with you before surgery and not 8 months after. you are right to go to your gp for this. it sounds weird to me...but still would like to know if any of the answers are yes to my questions....if you dont mind that is? :rolleyes:

and by the way, from looking at your profile pick and seeing you next to your really nice bike, and suited up in a professionals uniform im kinda leaning to the side of your surgeon is rather loopy. if you had problems with your lungs i kinda thinken you wouldnt be long distance biking!!! lol ;)

Nope, never heard of that one. I'd be interested to hear where he's getting that information, and what part of VSG, losing weight, gaining health, increasing your heart health is the contributing factor to an increase of lung collapse.

You're PCP is probably taking that idea from something on this website: http://www.yoursurgery.com/ProcedureDetails.cfm?BR=1&Proc=5

I had to read down quite a ways to find it, but there is a sentence that talks about it. It now explains why we get those breathing things after surgery that we are supposed to use 10 times an hour. That never made sense to me until I read this article.

You're PCP is probably taking that idea from something on this website: http://www.yoursurge...cfm?BR=1&Proc=5

I had to read down quite a ways to find it, but there is a sentence that talks about it. It now explains why we get those breathing things after surgery that we are supposed to use 10 times an hour. That never made sense to me until I read this article.

I agree right after the surgery there is a risk, but not 8 months later! Like I said he is my PCP, not my surgeon and I think he spouting off facts he is really has not educated himself on.

Honestly I believe I have spent more time reseaching the subject of VSG than he has.

I went to all the lung doctor tests pre op and I was cleared just fine, I have never smoked and have no other problems I know of.

I think it is just him trying to sound all important like, He giving me the lecture at my appointment of how important it is for me to take Vitamins, excersise ect and then he throughs in there you know all gastric bypass, ( I corrected him) at risk of lung collapse. Clearly he is speaking out of turn here.

Thw only thing I've seen about this is it is a risk of the surgery itself. I have read of 1 or 2 people experiencing this immediately post-op. One of them also had a leak.

I don't think this is a concern further out. You are right, you have researched way more than he has. He shouldn't be putting anxiety or fear of a complication into his patients minds. WLS is becoming more and more popular, seems there should be more education to the general medical community.

well all i have to say about that is ......whats the difference between a surgeon and God? God knows hes not a surgeon...lol

jk.....not all of them are like this, but some out there get the "God" complex.

I think you have done the right thing.

stop worrying about that, and stary thinking possitive about everything else that has not been complicated!

:D

A Pulmonary Embolus ( PE) is not the same as a Pneumothorax (Collapsed Lung). Pneumothorax is rare but does occur secondary to trauma. PE's are more associated with surgery and its accompanying bed bound patient. Generally, its is due to a blood clot post-op.

Is your personal physician out of his league? No, he is not. Especially if he is boarded in Internal Medicine.

Do I think he is correct in his statement to you? Given what you provided, no I do not. I would like to know his thought process for making this statement. Sometimes peoples body structure alone predisposes them to a Pneumo, especially tall thin, males can have a belb that cause the Pneumo.

Ask him what does he see to make that conclusion. If he does not explain it so that you can understand or he gets huffy, fire him or her.