Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear and Anxiety Getting to Me

Good luck, HD! Let us know your progress!

I cannot ad a whole lot more that hasn't already been said. But, I want to wish you luck and let you know we are rooting for you!!!!!!!

I'm home too now. In some discomfort but not horrible pain. Gas is moving some so no real problem there. I'm resting now in my own bed. I have pain meds if I need them. Good luck to yolk. Hope all goes well.

Take it ez Forensikchic! My grandmother would always say that there's more room on the outside than on the inside, so get rid of that gas!! Glad u r home and resting.

Your feelings are NORMAL!

I was such a wreck the day of surgery, they had to drug me up in the prep room. My husband always says that he wished he had a crystal ball of me now (so happy) that day.

Helpful hints:

1. Visualize yourself doing things your weight prevented you from (if needed, make a list)

2. If you have an ipod or iphone, download a relaxation app or soothing music.

3. Make an affirmation. For example, "I am having surgery and will have an excellent recovery and be successful"

Hope these helps, I went to a therapist who specializes in people with food issues and she taught me these tips.

You will proabably have feelings of regret after surgery....this is NORMAL and keep saying this is all temporary.

I am 7 months out and life gets better EVERY DAY :D :D :D

Good Luck

NIna

These are great ideas. Lately I have found myself laying awake at night thinking of all the things I will be able to do (or not do) when I am at goal weight. I won't have the aching in my back and knees after 5 minutes of being mobile. I will be able to play with my 2-year old without getting sooooo tired. I won't be turned down for jobs because of my weight. I won't feel so self-conscious. I will finally feel comfortable enough in my own skin to really be me.

I am probably supremely naive, but I don't think the afterwards will be the hardest part for me. I am pretty black and white about stuff. If I can't have something, then I just can't. But if I can have it, I am pretty craptastic about having any self-control.

I do worry that I will overdo it the first couple of weeks since I will be going back to work and handling the baby by myself at night. I won't be able to take a nap right when I get home, but I am sure I will be able to get her in bed early and crash right after. If the dishes don't get done one night, it won't kill anyone.

I will definitely keep everyone posted on my progress. Thank you all so much for being so supportive. I fly out in 3 more days! It is starting to get really exciting. Since I am a single mom, I am actually pretty stoked about the idea of having a plane ride all by myself where I can sleep ALL I WANT! (It's the littlest things, right?)

I am two weeks from surgery and I'm having exactly the same feelings. Whenever I start to panic I do two things:

1. I remind myself that, from months of reading these posts, I have never come across anyone who said they regretted doing this, no matter how hard their recovery was.

2. I look at before and after pictures. This site has some good ones but my favorite gallery is at obesityhelp.com. I look at dozens of people just like me, my size, my food issues, and then I see how happy and healthy they look after losing all the weight. It keeps me going.

As for the junk food addiction, that will NOT go away with surgery. Sure, you'll only be able to eat half a Krispy Kreme donut and it might make you feel sick, but your tolerance will build up to it if you keep eating them and before long you'll be able to have more and the weight will start creeping up again. I highly recommend some sort of therapy to help with the head part of it. I have pretty good mental health insurance so I'm going to start with an actual therapist to work on my food issues (and my body image issues). If you don't have insurance or can't afford a therapist, even joining Weight Watchers and attending the meetings is SUPER helpful for dealing with all the emotional stuff. Just don't tell them you've had surgery... they aren't very understanding.

Good luck!