Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel Dumb for Not Having 'Food Funeral'

Well, my sleeve gastrectomy is in 3 days, and so far my hunger fluctuates--at times, I'm managing the hunger and other times, I feel like I'm having quasi-regrets about the surgery as I think about food. I just found this site today, and I must say, this is a great resource. However, my problem is after reading all of these posts about people having their "food funerals", I feel like an idiot for not having mine! It seems like for the past 3 days, my thoughts have been drifting from every little food that I want to eat but can't have or will not have until perhaps 6 months later! Yet, I think about the long-term outcome of this--being thinner, healthier, and more athletic. I'm 5'5 and started out at 260/261 but since the diet, I'm about 249 before surgery. (Someone told me that this is mostly Water weight being lost...?)

Initially, I had thought about filling up on a lot of food and my favs, but I decided not to do it. One reason is that during my pre-op wellness classes, the dietician stressed the fact that I (and others) would need to start making changes in my diet now to prepare and optimize my chances afterwards. Thus, the day before my liquid diet, for dinner, I only had a turkey bacon sandwich and some popcorn. As well, the days before I didn't go on a food funeral--well maybe I did splurge slightly--I had Chick-Fil-A that Friday and again that Monday.... Alas....My surgeon requires a 1 week liquid diet; I've been seeing on here that many people were required to go on a 2 week pre-op liquid diet! Ouch! Anyway, I'll be happy just to start the soft/moist food stage on the 19th with an oz or two of low-fat refried Beans and low-fat cheese...:mellow:

Also, I can't stand these headaches!

don't feel bad about not haveing a food funeral. We all should not have any (my nut said..start today with healthy eating)..but i ended up having some yummies the night before pre-op. As the saying goes...nothing tastes as good as thin feels! Your doing the right thing making good choices now. We all have some sort of worry or buyers remorse during the initial phases and i rarely hear anything negative when they say I have lost 100 pounds!

Your tastes will change and your desire for food decreases or is all together gone so your desire for your old favorites might just go away.

I'm in the 1 week post op liquid phase and am looking forward to applesauce....silly but can't wait!

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

I was scheduled so quickly I didn't have a chance to have a food funeral. It was all for the best. I think I would have felt guilty, I guess I feel...um...virtuous, for the lack of a better word. I did the right thing and proved that food wasn't as important as getting healthy. I think you made the right decision, have faith!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it either, and when those food thoughts pop in your head just know that you will get to have things soon, just in way smaller portions. I had been on a self-imposed diet for a while before I scheduled my sleeve. I dropped sodas, then dropped diet sodas, started cutting portions and lower carb/sugar free diet. I lost 35 lbs that way. I had been on an almost 6 month stall. When I scheduled my surgery, I did go out to eat once, to Olive Garden because I knew it would be a very long time for pastas. Probably not again until maintenance if even then. I even cut my portions for this meal too, so I don't think I did too much damage with it.

Congrats on your surgery, and I will say that the pre-op liquid diet was the hardest part of the whole thing for me and I didn't have to be on it for very long either. sugar free popsicles saved me during this phase. I hope you have an easy surgery and speedy recovery! Update us when you can.

:)

Lori I didn't do a food funeral so much either. I did eat some of my favorite things but didn't go overboard on anything. I figure I can have most of it again, in moderation, after I am at goal. My surgery is tomorrow B)

Started my two-week pre-op diet today. I did have several food funeral type meals. I'm not sorry that I did but realize that it was not the best choice to make. Just think, in two more days you will not be hungry (or have very little hunger) for a long time! Good for you for making such healthy choices before hand!

Well, my sleeve gastrectomy is in 3 days, and so far my hunger fluctuates--at times, I'm managing the hunger and other times, I feel like I'm having quasi-regrets about the surgery as I think about food. I just found this site today, and I must say, this is a great resource. However, my problem is after reading all of these posts about people having their "food funerals", I feel like an idiot for not having mine! It seems like for the past 3 days, my thoughts have been drifting from every little food that I want to eat but can't have or will not have until perhaps 6 months later! Yet, I think about the long-term outcome of this--being thinner, healthier, and more athletic. I'm 5'5 and started out at 260/261 but since the diet, I'm about 249 before surgery. (Someone told me that this is mostly Water weight being lost...?)

Initially, I had thought about filling up on a lot of food and my favs, but I decided not to do it. One reason is that during my pre-op wellness classes, the dietician stressed the fact that I (and others) would need to start making changes in my diet now to prepare and optimize my chances afterwards. Thus, the day before my liquid diet, for dinner, I only had a turkey bacon sandwich and some popcorn. As well, the days before I didn't go on a food funeral--well maybe I did splurge slightly--I had Chick-Fil-A that Friday and again that Monday.... Alas....My surgeon requires a 1 week liquid diet; I've been seeing on here that many people were required to go on a 2 week pre-op liquid diet! Ouch! Anyway, I'll be happy just to start the soft/moist food stage on the 19th with an oz or two of low-fat refried Beans and low-fat cheese...:mellow:

Also, I can't stand these headaches!

You are all the better for not having a food funeral! Think about how much less you have to loose post op! It shows resolve and certain success with the sleeve! Trust me when i tell you a few months into the sleeve food will not longer be a focus for you and you wont miss it!

I just noticed today that I have stretch marks on my arms, not the inside of my arms but the outside, right above my elbow going all the way up. Those popped up with the last 10-20 lbs I gained. Would they have not been there if I hadn't gained 10 lbs with all my food funeral? Who knows but the damage is done.

Thanks a lot for the feedback... Still thinking about a nice sandwich though. :rolleyes: Anyway, I am just ready to get it over with (surgery this Wednesday). One more day to go.

I have to say that having to do liquids for 3 weeks prior to surgery prepared me mentally for how little food I am able to eat today, 2 weeks post op. I am just wondering if it is normal that I have very little interest in eating right now. It used to be something that I enjoyed and now it is something that I do because I have to. Does anyone else feel this way? Does it change? I feel guilty, my husband is making me all sorts of gourmet puree and I am really not interested.

Hmmm, I never had a food funeral. More like kicking out a bad roomate toss...after my surgery even. I like your NUT. Good opinion on food. Funerals are for those who mourn the loss and want to remember all the good times. Yeah, I still am a foodie, like to cook, read the mags for new recipies, devour the food network channel and more. I still like food, just not the volumes of before.

Oh yeah - I had a two week strict liquid diet. The headaches were due to lack of sugar and caffine. Yikes. Torture really but the results are so worth it. Keep your eye on the prize. What will you do to start a new you? Suffer for that week? Yep. Temporary headaches? Yep. Battle the ads for food on TV & billboards not to mention the smells of food? Yep.

You can do this and keep up a positive attitude. You can see the goal line so stick to your diet, okay? Excited for you and the start of your adventure to the new you.