Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success With PCOS

Love the topic! I am experiencing similar issues. I'm 1 month post op, period showed up 2 days before surgery and back for the 2nd time without any medications. Like someone said, although losing the weight would be nice, to stop shaving would be more than enough for me! I hate the bloating and the bad attitude I have but much better since I've been exercising. I'm down 21.3lbs since the surgery and 54lbs overall. I love what the sleeve is doing for me thus far and I'm so happy about the portion control!

I've noticed this topic hasn't been replied to in awhile. I am new to this site, I am having surgery on the 14th of this month and also have PCOS. I just wanted to know how others were doing now that it has been some time. Has your PCOS gotten better or maybe completely gone away?

I've noticed this topic hasn't been replied to in awhile. I am new to this site' date=' I am having surgery on the 14th of this month and also have PCOS. I just wanted to know how others were doing now that it has been some time. Has your PCOS gotten better or maybe completely gone away?[/quote']

Since I had my surgery and dropped 63lbs, my periods come every 26-28 days like clockwork. My only issue is how slowly I am losing and the constant stalls I experience

I've noticed this topic hasn't been replied to in awhile. I am new to this site' date=' I am having surgery on the 14th of this month and also have PCOS. I just wanted to know how others were doing now that it has been some time. Has your PCOS gotten better or maybe completely gone away?[/quote']

I'm 4 months post op and period comes like clockwork now. My most recent period is where I felt like I wanted to snack more and craved certain foods I really don't eat (Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches). Attitude had improved. hair still an issues. Hubby is enjoying the fact the libido is through the roof. I no longer take Metformin. I've lost a total of 83lbs (30 before surgery). Sleeve was/is the best decision I've ever made! Best wishes to you!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am a PCOSer having surgery on the 24th of this month. SOOO encouraging to read such good results here. thanks for sharing.

Well I'm back to report some great news!!! After being told that I would NEVER conceive, I am now 5 1/2 weeks pregnant with my 1st child!! I am 5 months post op VSG (May 1, 2012). We were not trying and I definitely wouldn't encourage pregnancy this early after surgery but we are ELATED!!!! I am seeing a high risk obgyn to monitor my pregnancy, so far so good!! No morning sickness or weird cravings, just really sore breast!!! I can barely touch them they hurt so bad. So ladies, don't give up hope!!!! Pregnancy is DEFINITELY possible after WLS!!!! Just use protection or other forms of contraception while going through your WL journey!!! Will keep you posted!!!!

Here's a before and after of me. 283 at my highest and currently 189lbs (10/14/12)

post-48089-13838396340592_thumb.jpg

post-19418-13813660441252_thumb.jpg

Here's a before and after of me. 283 at my highest and currently 189lbs (10/14/12)

Very nice. You look great

Very nice. You look great

Thank you!

I'm sorry I haven't been on these forums in forever!

I kept promising to come back here and post an update but I'm just so busy with my "new" life. I just can't believe how much things have changed.

It's been 1.5 years. A little over 170 lbs lost.

For the first time in my entire life, I'm in the "one-derland!" From 360 to 190 lbs. I can shop in trendy "normal" stores at the mall and no longer fit into the smaller sizes at some of the plus size stores I've grown attached to.

Started as a size 32-34 and now a size 12-14. I would be wearing mostly 10's were it not for all the loose skin that I have. Went to a lot of plastic surgeon consultations, and they say I am carrying about 8-12 lbs of excess skin. Don't let the fear of saggy skin scare you away from this surgery - i absolutely hate the way it looks but I hide it very well! Wearing things like Spanx, tights, and leotards (really pretty ones are available for cheap on amazon.com) help conceal the loose skin.

Some added benefits of weight loss were that size of my fingers and feet shrunk as well. I didn't realize I would have to buy new shoes! Not like that's a bad thing ^_^

I had a lot of extreme hair loss. It got so bad that I regretted doing the surgery for a while. 6-12 months post op was the worst. But I am recovering because it's gotten thicker, healthier, and people have been complimenting me on it again (my hair used to be my fashion statement when I was ashamed of my body).

It may be hard to hear this, but believe me when I say this is true: I no longer deal with facial hair. I remember desperately reading through the pcos-related forums before committing to this surgery and wondering if my hair problem would ever go away. It did, but it was a result of laser and not just weight loss alone. Make sure to follow-up with laser hair removal appointments (now I touch up every 3 months for $75). It barely hurts anymore and is just a quick 20 minute session. I started doing my chest as well, and got some great results. I really encourage anyone battling with this to visit a qualified dermatologist. You don't need to regulate your hormones to get the results I did.

My weight has been stable. No regain so far!

I haven't had my period in over 8 months, my doctor says that is due to the extreme weight loss. All my labwork, including pressure, pulse, cholesterol, insulin is better than average now. I do heavy strength training three times a week and cardio three times a week with one day off. I have built a lot of muscle and that really helps with the appearance of saggy skin.

My advice:

-Don't fall back into the cycle of having sugar/fat/soda. I briefly slipped over the holidays and it took a tremendous amount of work/willpower to work my way back on track.

-Do both aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

-Get a good prenatal Multivitamin to make up for all the nutrients we may be lacking.

-For hairiness: laser hair removal and epilating became my best friends.

-Don't let the excess skin bother you or scare you out of doing the surgery.

I wish you all the best of luck, sending out a lot of love and support. Please message me if you have any specific questions, I am planning on checking back a lot more frequently!

Madison! So encouraging thank you!

I am just about a year out and am close to 100 lbs. (I was 230, and nearly 130 now) And I am loving buying small clothes, the strangest thing now is finding clothing I like. I am not quite sure how to dress my body!

Anyhow about PCOS. I feel like it's come on stronger since i lost the weight. i have more hair, and worse symptoms, which is annoying because I want more children. I think I'll have to consider laser hair removal when I am done with having children. I hadn't even thought of that though. thanks!

thanks again!

Hi there i am a pre op VSG with PCOS and i want to know if any one here still crave carbs? I know that carbs have negative affects on PCOS and i crave carbs like bread and chips all the time . I hope the craving for these foods go away perminatly after surgery because i feel i would me more successful with weightloss without that craving monkey on my back.

Hi! You have to make sure you strictly follow both the pre and post-op liquid plan - after the third week I lost interest/cravings because I really wanted to lose weight and noticed that carbs made me feel sick and bloated. However, after one year out, I started having a bit more carbs and sugar (peer pressure is ridiculous over the holidays) and that was honestly the biggest regret I've had. The cravings instantly came back and it was hard to get back on track. As long as you make sure you follow the plan to the best of your abilities, you will see amazing results! Don't cheat your body by cheating on your plan :P best of luck!

Hi there i am a pre op VSG with PCOS and i want to know if any one here still crave carbs? I know that carbs have negative affects on PCOS and i crave carbs like bread and chips all the time . I hope the craving for these foods go away perminatly after surgery because i feel i would me more successful with weightloss without that craving monkey on my back.

I was one who kept carbs in my diet and still had success but everybody is different. You will figure out what works best for you through trial and error. Best wishes!

Hey guys. I am about 2.5 months out. I started at 260. Im now 230. Everyone that was dine in Jan seem to be waaaay past me on the loss. Lots of them down 40-50 pounds at least. Ive been stuck for weeks. scale hasnt moved. I work out like 3x a week. Would do more but work and have school. I eat about 1000 cal a day, 40-90 carbs, 60-100 Protein. About 45-60oz of Water. I know pcos would make it slower, but is this really slow?? What dis u guys do to achieve success? I hope this works for me. :(.