Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting home...tell me it gets better

Hi guys...just getting home and am very very wee. Stayed in hospital longer than expected. Don't have strength to review other posts. In a lot of pin due to excessive vomiting. Just reaching out for support cause I am full of regret right now. Need to know it gets better.....the pain and the hunger in contrast to my stomach's inability to keep anything down.

Thanks!

It gets better. It gets a little better each day. Sometimes it is so little you can't tell. Everyday think back to about two days ago and compare it. Sip your fluids and keep up with your pain meds. sleep when you can. I am sorry you had such a rough time of it.

Khy

Each day has been better for me. Just keep a bottle of Water by your side.... I hate to hear it has been such a hard time for you. I am praying for you!

Hi guys...just getting home and am very very wee. Stayed in hospital longer than expected. Don't have strength to review other posts. In a lot of pin due to excessive vomiting. Just reaching out for support cause I am full of regret right now. Need to know it gets better.....the pain and the hunger in contrast to my stomach's inability to keep anything down.

Thanks!

It gets better. I got home yesterday as well. The doctor was happy with my progress but kept me one extra night due to nausea from excess saliva. He wanted that to resolve before I left to come home.

I am still sore, but the gas pains are basically none existent. I have been taking my gas-x strips so that is helping.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Sheila

so sorry you're having problem i really do hope that you start feeling better soon ....sending ((hugs))) and soothing thoughts your way...

Thanks!

I promise it does! The first few weeks were hard! I literally kept telling myself everyday, "It'll be a little better tomorrow!" After about three week, I was golden!

Hang in there! You can do it! :)

Suzette

Thanks ladies! :-) Tomorrow I get to advance to mushies and I am SO excited. I went shopping for my "menu" of black Beans, melted cheese, and sour cream. Each day is a little better. My My goodness....the first week sucked. Thx again!

Hi Ladies.

My first week was not so bad until I had to go back to the hospital due to an infection on Tuesday August 2nd. My surgeon had a CT scan done of my chest and stomach, NO LEAKS!!! Thank God. However he did find a couple of pockets of Fluid outside of the stomach that was causing the infection. So back into the hospital I went for IV antibiotics. This is the week that SUCKED!!!. When you go to the ER they do not allow you to eat or drink anything until the doctor sees you. So I got to the ER, as per surgeon's orders, by 10:45am. I did not see my surgeon until 4:30pm. Needless to say I was somewhat dehydrated .

Once I was in my room they needed to place an IV to begin the treatments. Didn't get to my room until 6:30 - 7:00pm, which added to the dehydration. Took 7 pokes to get an IV in me. They had to call in an ICU nurse because no one on the unit could get the thing in. I felt like a pin cushion. Finally got it in, only to have it blow the vein on Wednesday night. I immediately started crying. I could not go through another round of 7 pokes to get another IV in. Luckily, I did have over a day of fluids so it was easier to get the next IV in. I was very relieved.

Anyway, I am now home. I was in hospital for the 2nd time from Tuesday to Friday, Aug 2 - 5. I did not want to be there. Yesterday was a bad day for me, I was very emotional and cried the entire day. I was worried they would not be able to get the infection under control and I would have to have more surgery. I was in a room with a woman who was in for having flesh eating disease. That freaked me out quite a bit. I know she is an invalid, but I am sorry, she smelled, she talked in her sleep, she was nosy (listening to my conversations with my husband and commenting as though she was included). It was just a bad day.

This morning when I saw my surgeon, first thing I told him was I'M READY TO GO!!!!! So he said, Okay I will go sign the discharge papers. I got my IV as soon as I could, took a quite shower, got dressed and got the hell out of that room. I sat in the lounge until hubby could get there to get me.

So this was my rough week.

On the upside, I went to Denny's for lunch because I was discharged prior to lunch, and I ordered chicken noodle Soup. I didn't eat any of the chicken, gave it to hubby. But I did manage to eat about 3 or 4 noodles and 2 or 3 little carrots. They were both very soft, just squished them in my mouth and swallowed down. The first REAL food I have had since surgery. My surgeon kept me on clear fluids the whole time I was in the hospital, which also sucked.

I am SOOOOO HAPPY to be back home.

Sheila.

PS. One thing I have found that is strange and I was wondering if anyone else has found the same thing. I can not drink Water. The taste of Water right now just upsets tiny Ana (my tummy). I used to drink tons of water prior to surgery, now I just can't seem to do it. I am drinking apple juice and such. Any advice?

Hey Sheila,

Sounds like you have had a rough time lately but you are so positive! that is great because the last couple of days I have felt better but the first few days out I felt horrible and didn't really know if I had made the right decisions.....I know I have, but it just took a little while to realize. I was so sick I thought for sure something was wrong, but am feeling 100% better just get tired out easily.....any the whole reason for my post is that I have problems with just plain Water too, but I get it down easier if it is flavored. I have been using Crystal Lite Pure that is strawberry/kiwi flavored or just putting lemon juice and splenda in. It definitely helps me get it down. Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the update!

Hi Ladies.

My first week was not so bad until I had to go back to the hospital due to an infection on Tuesday August 2nd. My surgeon had a CT scan done of my chest and stomach, NO LEAKS!!! Thank God. However he did find a couple of pockets of Fluid outside of the stomach that was causing the infection. So back into the hospital I went for IV antibiotics. This is the week that SUCKED!!!. When you go to the ER they do not allow you to eat or drink anything until the doctor sees you. So I got to the ER, as per surgeon's orders, by 10:45am. I did not see my surgeon until 4:30pm. Needless to say I was somewhat dehydrated .

Once I was in my room they needed to place an IV to begin the treatments. Didn't get to my room until 6:30 - 7:00pm, which added to the dehydration. Took 7 pokes to get an IV in me. They had to call in an ICU nurse because no one on the unit could get the thing in. I felt like a pin cushion. Finally got it in, only to have it blow the vein on Wednesday night. I immediately started crying. I could not go through another round of 7 pokes to get another IV in. Luckily, I did have over a day of fluids so it was easier to get the next IV in. I was very relieved.

Anyway, I am now home. I was in hospital for the 2nd time from Tuesday to Friday, Aug 2 - 5. I did not want to be there. Yesterday was a bad day for me, I was very emotional and cried the entire day. I was worried they would not be able to get the infection under control and I would have to have more surgery. I was in a room with a woman who was in for having flesh eating disease. That freaked me out quite a bit. I know she is an invalid, but I am sorry, she smelled, she talked in her sleep, she was nosy (listening to my conversations with my husband and commenting as though she was included). It was just a bad day.

This morning when I saw my surgeon, first thing I told him was I'M READY TO GO!!!!! So he said, Okay I will go sign the discharge papers. I got my IV as soon as I could, took a quite shower, got dressed and got the hell out of that room. I sat in the lounge until hubby could get there to get me.

So this was my rough week.

On the upside, I went to Denny's for lunch because I was discharged prior to lunch, and I ordered chicken noodle Soup. I didn't eat any of the chicken, gave it to hubby. But I did manage to eat about 3 or 4 noodles and 2 or 3 little carrots. They were both very soft, just squished them in my mouth and swallowed down. The first REAL food I have had since surgery. My surgeon kept me on clear fluids the whole time I was in the hospital, which also sucked.

I am SOOOOO HAPPY to be back home.

Sheila.

PS. One thing I have found that is strange and I was wondering if anyone else has found the same thing. I can not drink Water. The taste of water right now just upsets tiny Ana (my tummy). I used to drink tons of water prior to surgery, now I just can't seem to do it. I am drinking apple juice and such. Any advice?

Sheila, that sounds so tough. I'm so sorry you had a hard time and I'm sending you all the healing energy I can! Please know that you will feel better soon!

Oh no SHeila! I am glad you are home. You know...I have learned that the sleeve is NOT for wimps!!!!! We are tough!