Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of results do diabetics have with this weight loss procedure? Did it make the diabetes better and if so how soon after the surgery?

I am a type 2 diabetic and losing weight is THE ONLY WAY to make this type of diabetes better!! I lost 55lbs pre-op and within one week of having my surgery stopped taking my daily dose of 1,000 mg of Metformin.

I am COMPLETLY in remission and my blood sugars remain in the high 80's to low 90's daily!

Hope this helps!

Kelly :D :D :D :D :D

Yes it does within a couple of weeks or days depending. I went from taking 4 pills a day to none for my diabetes because of the food I am eating and the amount.

The absolute number 1 reason for my getting the surgery was my type 2 diabetes. I was extremely insulin resistant.

I am 8 weeks from surgery. I still take the same amts of lisinopril and metformin but my insulin is cut by more than half now. My glucose meter says my average is 121 and this includes my high pre-surgery numbers that were in the 200s much of the time.

This is an awesome improvement for me and I know as I continue to lose weight it will get better and better.

P.S. I really hate admitting this but I neglected myself and allowed my sugar to be out of control for years. This is the lowest my sugar has been since probably 2006. So even though I'm still taking meds, I am a much healthier person already.

I have been very lax in checking my sugars. I also haven't been taking my meds (5mcg Byetta 2x day and 1000mg metformin 2x day). Yesterday, I saw a new PCP who told me when I should be checking again. I did check yesterday about 2 hours after eating and was pleasantly surprised that my sugar was only 138 (it had been over 200). This morning when I checked right after getting up (when the new PCP told me to check) I was 103. I am thrilled. I've never been this low since I was diagnosed in 2003.

The major reason I decided to have WLS was that my Type 2 diabetes was no longer under control using oral meds only and I didn't want to start on insulin. My surgeon cut my dose of Metforim from 2000 daily to 1000 the day I started the two week pre-op diet. The day before surgery I stopped taking it all together. At that point I was still taking 30 mg of Actos. At my 2 week post op appointment I was told to switch to 15 mg per day. My morning blood glucose readings have gone from 180-190 prior to surgery to 100-105 today. At 4 months post-op I am still taking the 15 mg of Actos, but my PCP predicted we would stop that after my Sept appointment. I am off from ALL high blood pressure medications as of last week.

I am thrilled with the improvements to my health!!

I've had similar great results. I was told to only take my metformin after surgery if my levels were 180+. This has not happened once since surgery.....my levels are staying in the 80-110 range almost constantly. I'm so happy I made this decision!

THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!

Congrats to all of us for our improved health!! I hope it continues to get better and better!!

Hugs,

Kelly :D

I am med free and my blood glucose #'s are normal now since surgery. I had improved before surgery by losing 35 lbs and diet but it was still around 140 in the morning before eating. In the hospital it was 100. A wk later it was in the 80's and now it stays around that. My type 2 diabetes was the main reason I went ahead with surgery too, and I am very happy I did!

:)

This is absolutely the reason for my revision to the VSG. I had gestational diabetes with my last baby (at 41) and it went (thanks to crazy amounts of exercise) until 3 years ago. I had blood tests every 6 months and I knew how it felt when it went up. I am unsure of the comparatives in the US but here in Canada I was 18 when I was diagnosed - way way too high. I started on 2 x Metformin - then went up to 4 a day - now I have added Victoza - a new injection (not insulin) and my numbers are still not great - and I walk at least 1 hour a day. I know its going to get worse - runs in the family (with the larger ones). I want to live and be healthy for my 9 year old - and I am excited to be getting my sleeve.

Right now I have two options - waiting on finance for Dr Kelly OR an initial appointment through the Health Care System up here in September. Either way - I'm doin it!!!

Thanks for this positive thread.

Glenda

PS Just to add that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes - so my ego doesn't require the sleeve - BUT my health definitely does!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high colesterol and my health is the reason I am considering this procedure. I'm glad all of you are doing better, it has to be a wonderful feeling. What made each of you decide on this procedure as apposed to the lap band or bypass? :)

I decided on the sleeve because 1) it did not re-route my insides like the by-pass does, 2) it does not have the mal-absorption issues that the bypass does, 3) I did not want a foreign object restricting my stomach - there are way too many horror stories for my comfort about that.

My blood pressure has returned to normal as well - I've always been borderline high and in the months prior to surgery, I was actually high when they checked my bp. Yesterday at my followup appointment it was actually in the normal range! This will also help your cholesterol because you are eating differently with the sleeve - and exercising (in my case much more than I was before).

I was seeing way too many failed bands during my research period, and that # has increased over the yrs. But I also did not like the fills/unfills post op. Even going thru that chances were not getting the "sweet spot", and people weren't losing. Then the slipping, erosions, etc. And food getting stuck and throwing up all the the time did not sound appealing at all.

The RNY wasnt for me due to malabsorption and nutrional deficiencies. Also after 2 yrs your body adapts and you absorb calories again but you continue not absorbing nutrients. So for 2 yrs you get used to eating a certain way and certain foods but then you begin gaining weight eating the same foods/amounts. And their pouch is made from the intestines which is stretchier than say a sleeve which is our true stomach with the strechy part removed.

Also with both of these you still have the ghrelin hormone so you could be hungry/never satisfied on the small amts of food. With the sleeve for most people that is gone so no hunger and total satisfaction on the small amts of food and less chance of overeating.

I was seeing way too many failed bands during my research period, and that # has increased over the yrs. But I also did not like the fills/unfills post op. Even going thru that chances were not getting the "sweet spot", and people weren't losing. Then the slipping, erosions, etc. And food getting stuck and throwing up all the the time did not sound appealing at all.

The RNY wasnt for me due to malabsorption and nutrional deficiencies. Also after 2 yrs your body adapts and you absorb calories again but you continue not absorbing nutrients. So for 2 yrs you get used to eating a certain way and certain foods but then you begin gaining weight eating the same foods/amounts. And their pouch is made from the intestines which is stretchier than say a sleeve which is our true stomach with the strechy part removed.

Also with both of these you still have the ghrelin hormone so you could be hungry/never satisfied on the small amts of food. With the sleeve for most people that is gone so no hunger and total satisfaction on the small amts of food and less chance of overeating.

Kelly is so right. I got the band in 2003 and lost about 105 lb first up - which seems like a lot - but I did alot of vomiting and lost a bunch of hair and still had to really work hard to maintain any weight loss It all started creeping back - as with most weight loss surgery - you can trick it - it isn't magic! Now I have erosion - I feel like it is an alien - can't wait to get it out! I have also done alot of research - and the band just isn't worth S***. The RNY I am unsure of - alot people really put their weight back on - seems the sleeve is better for lifestyle change.

Glenda

Imam two weeks post op. The day after the surgery was given an insulin shot because my levels were elevated. They think that may have been from the stress of the procedure. Before discharge i was off metformin, lisinopril and lasix. I have lost 27 pounds so far and feel great!!!