Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess I a coming to grips with my fear of a leak

My doctor was very frank about the increased leak rate for revisions. It made me scared, but I sorta thought... well, they''ll just re-operate and it will be fine. I have since been reading more up on it, including the horror stories from the forums and I realize that for some people, the recovery from a leak is a terrible ordeal. That is really scary and being a revision patient, a very real risk. My surgeon has done a number of revisions and I understand no one has died yet, but this is a serious issue for him - so I am coming to terms with handing my fate over to his skills and hopefully some decent luck!

What is not satisfying is the acid reflux issue. I never had it until banding and it is just terrible. I have lived with it now for awhile and it really scares me that it will likely persist, may even be worse with the sleeve. The doctor offers me no reassurances on this subject at all. I am wondering how you are all doing with it?

I had a band done 10 years ago and just got sleeved (10 days ago). My doctor informed me there was a lot of fybrosis (I think that's what it is called) but he successfully removed the band and got the sleeve done. He did the leak test during the operation So far, there hasn't been any problem at all.

My doctor gave me a week and 3 days of clear or almost clear liquid diet. I just started eating Beans, egg, yogurt, etc. So far it's been great. I do take esoprax every morning to avoid reflux, etc.

My best advice to you would be: this is something you are doing to yourself, it's not a favor the doctor is doing for you, it's your life, plus it's not free. So talk to other people your doctor has "revised" or get a doctor that makes you feel better. In the end, it is your precious life that's at stake.

Hope it helps,

Maraki

Some revision surgeons (mine included, I just learned yesterday) require a recovery period between procedures. I know someone on here had a surgeon who did them 2 weeks apart, and my surgeon does them 2 months apart. I had about 15 seconds to ask him why yesterday and he basically said it lets the swelling go down (helps prevent leaks from going undetected), and he said something about adhesions. I was on my way into twilight sleep so I didn't catch everything. I'm assuming he repairs the adhesions at removal, and then can focus on the sleeve procedure the second time around.

My grandfather died of a septic infection. He was taking predisone, it basically ulcerated through his stomach, and he developed a slow leak. By the time he showed any signs, they couldn't do much for him. I was with him until his last breath and it was not a pleasant death... so the risk of a leak hits very close to home. I plan to question my surgeon about it pretty extensively. Not just the numbers, because it only takes "that one"... but procedure. E.g. how would he fix a leak, and can he just do that from the start (e.g. if you'd fix me by using blanket stiches and some mesh, can you just put blanket stitches in to start with? I'll glady pay you the add'l cost, here, just take this blank check!) What types of leak tests, and with what substances? When? What does he consider the risk period? Etc...

My doctor was very frank about the increased leak rate for revisions. It made me scared, but I sorta thought... well, they''ll just re-operate and it will be fine. I have since been reading more up on it, including the horror stories from the forums and I realize that for some people, the recovery from a leak is a terrible ordeal. That is really scary and being a revision patient, a very real risk. My surgeon has done a number of revisions and I understand no one has died yet, but this is a serious issue for him - so I am coming to terms with handing my fate over to his skills and hopefully some decent luck!

What is not satisfying is the acid reflux issue. I never had it until banding and it is just terrible. I have lived with it now for awhile and it really scares me that it will likely persist, may even be worse with the sleeve. The doctor offers me no reassurances on this subject at all. I am wondering how you are all doing with it?

I feel very positive about the doctor and his level of experience and local reputation. I also feel very good about his... frankness .. in discussing the risks. That is why I still worry about the reflux because he is honest in saying that it can be a real problem for some people. A significant minority of people.

He will do it in one surgery for self pay patients who can't afford two surgeries. For anybody that can swing it financially, he really wants a healing period between the band removal and sleeve surgery of at least a month. I think reduced swelling is the main reason. I am looking for the lowest risk approach, so I am definately doing it in two steps. Since my band has slipped, I should think insurance approval should be easy, but get this, my insurance wants an updated psych eval just to remove the slipped band!!! What?? I had the eval last Nov when i was looking into the gastric bypass and figured I would need a new one for the sleeve surgery, but to get a slipped band removed??? strange. Anyway, I haven't jumped through all the hoops yet.

Your points about how the leak is treated are good questions that I will ask when I talk to him next.

I had an upper endoscopy a week ago and it seems to have angered my band. Irritated stomach and increase in reflux/acid. I can't wait till it is gone.

We're in about the same place. My EGD was yesterday (hence the twilight sleep/talk with surgeon).

I must have some major swelling because it feels just like it did when my band was too tight, thought I have no fill. I was up all night with the horrible, constant reflux (my primary symptom when my band slipped), which I haven't had since my complete unfill kicked in. I'm still gurgling & getting referred pains over a sip of Water I took around 7 this morning. And I'm now having occasional spasms/stabbing pains where my band is. Yeouch. Can't take anything to help, it wouldn't get down. I really underestimated how much swelling the EGD would cause. Had a message from one of the surg nurses wanting to know how I was doing... left a message telling her I wasn't going to be able to stay hydrated if this didn't change soon.