Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another LBT Member Considering Revision

BTW, things "weren't so bad" with my unfill. My only real symptom of my slip - reflux (all night long, aspirating it, etc.) - stopped a few days after my unfill (fills/unfills took a bit to kick in for me).

Without the reflux, things were pretty normal. I still had enough restriction, I never had the symptom of getting sick, I could tolerate all foods/liquids on most days (just not all times of the day), etc.

Wow, that EGD must've swollen me up really good! The reflux was back lastnight after I tried to drink some apple juice around 11 am, that sat with me all day long. (My slip is weird in that way - I will eat something, get a winky slip feeling, and even if I can down a gallon of liquid after, I will still reflux all night unless the wonky feeling is gone. I'd like to know what's happening there, since logic says that if you can down liquids just fine, things should be clear/flushed out).

Having that reflux again reminds me how over this I am...

I've been doing well since my unfill at the end of June. Could probably live like this for quite some time... except that I can eat pretty much anything and everything and that scares the hell out of me. This time around it does seem like I can tell a difference with my unfill, weird deep burps etc... but that could be in my mind since I've got it set on the slip. It's kinda weird not knowing what's going on inside of me.

Hi Heather- I have been reading this post and wanted to say that I hear your dilema. I was first banded in 2006 and it worked like a charm. I was very happy and lost weight...until........I started having reflux like I couldn't believe!! I was waking up in the middle of the night and I couldn't catch my breath! My throat was burning! It was aweful! Finally after having Fluid removed little by little I had an xray that revealed a slip. First step was to remove all the fluid to see if band would move itself back. It didn't. That was the beginning of my dreaded weight gain! The dr.'s answer was to give me a new band. In 2009 I got new band and things just haven't been the same. It's not the same band, but supposedly a new & improved band. I just know its a bigger band that has taken a lot more adjustments for fills. (Funny at the time of getting second band my dr. mentioned a sleeve, but I had no idea what it was) I have gained almost all of my weight back and I am totally discourage & depressed by my new band. I am seriously considering talking to my dr. about a sleeve. From what I gather it people seem to be really happy with it. I am sure there are some drawbacks, although I haven't heard any of them. But keep talking to your doctor and others. Take your time in making your decision then you can be sure you will make the best decision for you! I wish you the best of luck & keep us posted!

I'm another that has bad reflux with the band. Mine started a couple of days after a large fill, and when I called my surgeon (I lived 6+ hours away at the time), she gave me the option of starting proton pump inhibitors for the acid or getting some fill taken out. Since I liked the weight loss, I chose the drugs. I wish I'd done differently. 10 months later, I finally couldn't stand it anymore. For some reason, after I had a Tummy Tuck and breast lift surgery, the acid got worse. Even with the PPI, I was having to sleep basically sleeping upright and still waking up coughing multiple times a night. My chest/esophagus was aching 24/7. I made an emergency trip and got a partial unfill. The acid is better, but still there.

That was almost 3 years ago, and I haven't seen that doctor since. I lost a job, then started a new job and was waiting for my new insurance to kick in (my insurance through my parents which I'd had surgery under, had a $1500 deductible, which I could not afford at the time), then got a different job that took me across the country. I've dragged my feet on getting another surgeon because I didn't want to face the music and admit that I've gained back more than half of what I lost, but I finally bit the bullet and made an appointment for next Monday. I want to get my band checked out. I haven't had any imaging done whatsoever since before my band, so I'm almost certain that I've got a slip and have had one for years. If it is slipped or eroded, I want to revise to a sleeve. I'm sick of the acid, I'm sick of the port pain, I'm sick of not being able to get enough restriction to keep me on track without causing more acid reflux, I'm sick of sometimes not even being able to drink a latte in the morning without sliming and puking.

Tomorrow is the day I finally get my CT results and find out what's going on inside of me and whether I can move toward a revision to the sleeve. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I need them!

It's been 2 hours... have you heard anything? Best wishes!!

SOB... I just got home... the good news... I'm not slipped. The bad news... I'm not getting a sleeve.

The CT scan showed my band is in place, my pouch is fine and my esophagus is fine. My doc's only answer was to put 4cc back in my band. He took 5 out 3 weeks ago and he said I also had 2ccs of air he removed today. I go back in a month.

So weird that I would have such symptoms without a fill in over 18 months and everything is just hunky dory... I still have a feeling something is just not right and I'm not sure where to go or what to do.

SOB... I just got home... the good news... I'm not slipped. The bad news... I'm not getting a sleeve.

The CT scan showed my band is in place, my pouch is fine and my esophagus is fine. My doc's only answer was to put 4cc back in my band. He took 5 out 3 weeks ago and he said I also had 2ccs of air he removed today. I go back in a month.

So weird that I would have such symptoms without a fill in over 18 months and everything is just hunky dory... I still have a feeling something is just not right and I'm not sure where to go or what to do.

Heather, sorry to hear the news of no sleee. Do you take anything for reflux?

Heather, sorry to hear the news of no sleee. Do you take anything for reflux?

No, thankfully I only have reflux at the times that I'm too tight and constantly regurgitating anything that tries to go down. When that happens I try to take those tums powders and settle it down... doesn't ever work.

No, thankfully I only have reflux at the times that I'm too tight and constantly regurgitating anything that tries to go down. When that happens I try to take those tums powders and settle it down... doesn't ever work.

You may have silent reflux. I haven't had reflux since I lost my weight until the last few months. I had a EGD? and the doctor said my esophagus was inflamed. I am taking Prevacid now. You might want to start on OTC Prliosec or Prevacid and see if you feel better. My bariatric doc said I probably have reflux from just having the band.