Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First meal....

I've been a struggling sleever since my surgery date of June 16th. I've been admitted to the hospital 4 times for dehydration and most recently low potassium. Well..all I've been able to tolerate is Water and muscle milk. Tonight I decided to try 1 oz of Fage yogurt (plain sweetened with a touch of splenda). I've been working on this for an hour and I doubt I've gotten in a solid teaspoon. Every bite is grumble grumble burp then I try again. I'm using a baby spoon and barely licking some off the end of the spoon. Was eating this slow for anyone else? I feel so far behind because of my complications and I don't want to rush anything, but I feel like I need to try to move forward.

Thanks for you advice

Leanne

Eating was every bit that slow for me and I was sleeved only 2 days before you were. It's better for me now, but I'm still very limited in what I can tolerate: yogurt, cream of wheat, cottage cheese, and sometimes scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes. Two or three days ago, I felt like I was back at square 1 because not even yogurt went down easily and yesterday I had a really hard time with it as well. So far today, I've only managed a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese and a tiny bit of gatorade. It hurts for some reason after a couple of sips. The gurgling has lessened for me, but it's still very much there. I can look back on my progress though and I know that things have improved, so I believe that they will only continue to get better. Don't give up! It isn'

Don't be too hard on yourself! I had trouble with drinking and eating post op, it was terrrrrible. It was hard mentally because I had planned on being the perfect patient, and my plan was ruined. I think the most important thing is to make sure you get in the fluids above all. Take one day at a time and it really does get better with time.

I think that is perfectly normal considering all you have been through and you didn't get to progress at the rate most people do. It will just get easier and easier with time. I have a very tight tummy and it is STILL hard for me on some foods. I will say this, I am SO bad about trying to eat as fast as I used to and that is a big 'ol mistake. I have to literally tell myself to slow down or it will make me feel so bad. So don't even worry about the time it takes you to eat. Your situation is so unique that you are gonna just have to take it at your own pace and see what works for you. Just try easing into every phase of the post op diet and if it's not working, go back down the previous phase. You will make it!!

Good luck with eating again!smile.gif

Thank you all so much! I've been feeling like a big ole failure since having these complications and its good to know that this phase will get easier. I too wanted to be the perfect patient, but turns out it wasn't meant to be that way. I don't regret having the surgery even though its been hard. I do see progress each day so that is a very good thing. I will work on a Protein Shake later this evening. I've almost hit my Water goal for the day :D

Thank you all so much! I've been feeling like a big ole failure since having these complications and its good to know that this phase will get easier. I too wanted to be the perfect patient, but turns out it wasn't meant to be that way. I don't regret having the surgery even though its been hard. I do see progress each day so that is a very good thing. I will work on a Protein shake later this evening. I've almost hit my Water goal for the day :D

I've totally been where you are at. I felt terrible, like a failure since I couldn't get the Protein or Water or Vitamins down...I know that feeling, Girrrl shake THAT OFF and do your best! You will get through it! Look you almost hit your water goal for today and THAT IS AWESOME! Everything else will come eventually, you will see :)

Imawhodat, considering all that you've been through, I think that you are doing great. As your stomach heals, once you can actually get some food down, you will wonder how the heck you've eaten so much :) It has to get better! I've said a couple of prayers for you!

Thank you Holly!!!

Imawhodat, considering all that you've been through, I think that you are doing great. As your stomach heals, once you can actually get some food down, you will wonder how the heck you've eaten so much :) It has to get better! I've said a couple of prayers for you!

I can't remember from your previous posts, but are you on a PPI like Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix?

Eating really sucks, especially after complications. I always felt like eating was stressful which in turn made my stomach tighter for whatever reason.

Have you tried warm fluids like warm Decaf tea the Celestial seasonings makes a peppermint tea that and a chamomile tea that totally rocked for me, I felt so wonderful drinking those. And, when my hydration levels were getting compromised, I said "screw the calories/sugar, I need fluid" and I drank regular gatorade. If I was dehydrated, and my body was struggling to function, a few calories/sugar wasn't going to hinder my weight loss, and honestly, after my complications, I didn't give 2 poops about carbs/sugar that first couple of weeks, I needed fluids.

Warm fluids seemed to relax my stomach, soothing, but the warmth really helped and still do this at 2 years out. I still order hot tea or coffee before a meal.

I hope the next few days are easier.

Yes I am on Prilosec and it has helped so much. Ya know, when I was so dehydrated (and in the hospital) I requested Decaf warm tea and OMG it was so good. I swear that is what helped my tummy relax so I could get my fluids in. I agree about staying hydrated.....a few calories aren't going to hurt me.....I'll do anything to stay out of the hospital! I'll be sure to try warm tea again. Thanks

I can't remember from your previous posts, but are you on a PPI like Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix?

Eating really sucks, especially after complications. I always felt like eating was stressful which in turn made my stomach tighter for whatever reason.

Have you tried warm fluids like warm decaf tea the Celestial seasonings makes a peppermint tea that and a chamomile tea that totally rocked for me, I felt so wonderful drinking those. And, when my hydration levels were getting compromised, I said "screw the calories/sugar, I need fluid" and I drank regular gatorade. If I was dehydrated, and my body was struggling to function, a few calories/sugar wasn't going to hinder my weight loss, and honestly, after my complications, I didn't give 2 poops about carbs/sugar that first couple of weeks, I needed fluids.

Warm fluids seemed to relax my stomach, soothing, but the warmth really helped and still do this at 2 years out. I still order hot tea or coffee before a meal.

I hope the next few days are easier.