Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - I'm still hungry

7 days post op and in the last 2 days I have become super hungry, even after I've just eaten...

Is this normal? Do I just sit it out?

Its really worrying, I have managed not to given as am still on fluids, but if this keeps up I'm going to have some issues soon.

For the first 7 days post op I was on clear liquids only, so that being the case then I'd expect to be hungry. Liquids go right through your sleeve, so until you get onto mushies I'd say there isn't much you can do about this I'm afraid. sad.gif

Are you on a PPI acid reducer? This will make a big difference too, especially early out while our tummies are still adjusting to the smaller stomach and overproducing acid. You might want to try it if you aren't on one. You can get them over the counter and even generic. I use the generic Prilosec. I hope it gets better for you.

:)

hi there! go ahead and try the acid reducer and see if that works, but just to let you know A LOT of us are hungry and never lose that feeling. . unfortunately I had to sit it out, drink alot of Water, crystal lite etc . . I'm 18 months out and NEVER lost that hungry feeling. . but if you start now, you can "tame" it and get used to it. . . good luck and hopefully its only acid. . .

HI i am 9 days post op and I feel hungry as well. But im thinking food just looks good and we think we want it but I dont think our tummy actually want it . Ya know. I know its hard my doc just told me I cant eat anything but broth for another 3 weeks and I could not believe it but there has to be a reason and it must be possible . Just get creative with you clear Soup. Thats what Im going to do , And hope this feeling of wanting to eat goes away!!!!!

7 days post op and in the last 2 days I have become super hungry, even after I've just eaten...

Is this normal? Do I just sit it out?

Its really worrying, I have managed not to given as am still on fluids, but if this keeps up I'm going to have some issues soon.

I think some docs are just way more cautious and don't want to mess up their stats with patients having complications. 9 days on clear liquids is tough - I remember being so happy when I could have yogurt drink and cream of Tomato Soup.< /span>

Hang in there - all this is going to seem easy once you're allowed some proper food! wink.gif

HI i am 9 days post op and I feel hungry as well. But im thinking food just looks good and we think we want it but I dont think our tummy actually want it . Ya know. I know its hard my doc just told me I cant eat anything but broth for another 3 weeks and I could not believe it but there has to be a reason and it must be possible . Just get creative with you clear Soup. Thats what Im going to do , And hope this feeling of wanting to eat goes away!!!!!

liquids will not stay in your stomach for long. that is why you feel hungry. you will feel more satisfied once you are able to have solid food. i was starving until week 4 most of the time. even full liquids did not give me any satisfaction, better, but not good!!

hang in there, it is SOOO worth it!

Kelly

Hi there!

I am two weeks post-op and I am still on full liquids. My doctor said one more week. I am experiencing a lot of hunger and I am a bit sick of all the Soups :). On the bright side I have already lost 18 pounds.

The one thing that scares me though is that I still crave sweets and food just as much as before and I am not having much willpower to eat the right kind of food so far (I am eating some ice cream and some chocolate though not half as much as I used to.) Will I still loose weight? And will the cravings stop?

chewing gum helped me a lot. but dont swallow..lol

I was on a ppi before surgery was even discussed and to the day I take it regiously..Protein shakes should help with that hungry feeling. Does it help?

I am also on a ppi. I can't drink the Protein Shakes. They make me nauseous and I almost throw up every time. I have tried different kinds.

I will try the chewing gum though.

Thanks a lot!!

My doctor says NO gum ever again. Check with your program notes first:)

I am also on a ppi. I can't drink the Protein shakes. They make me nauseous and I almost throw up every time. I have tried different kinds.

I will try the chewing gum though.

Thanks a lot!!

I've seen chewing gum recommended for WLS patients to help them stop drinking in the 30 mins after eating.

I think the whole chewing gum debate is like the straw one, ie some surgeons are totally against it while other patients are given straws while in hospital (like me).

My notes don't mention anything about gum. I will ask my doctor. Thanks.