Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Make me a grocery list! :)

So this is my first "real" grocery shopping trip since I have been sleeved! I could use some suggestions on what would be some good foods on my grocery list. I keep seeing Babybell cheese (sounds yummy!) Anyone have a list of favs for me? I saw tofu has high Protein but have no clue what to do with it? What is on your grocery list of MUST HAVES? Thanks in advance!

So this is my first "real" grocery shopping trip since I have been sleeved! I could use some suggestions on what would be some good foods on my grocery list. I keep seeing Babybell cheese (sounds yummy!) Anyone have a list of favs for me? I saw tofu has high Protein but have no clue what to do with it? What is on your grocery list of MUST HAVES? Thanks in advance!

Here is my standard grocery list...

Boneless Skinless chicken breasts

Lean ground meat (I get Ground Turkey 93/7...please for the love of all that is holy do NOT buy Turkey in a Tube...blech blech blech)

Finely shredded cheese

Cottage cheese (I get the 2%)

Greek Yogurt (0% fat any flavor and plain)

Sour Cream

eggs

Light Mayo/Miracle Whip

Ranch salad dressing powder packets (I mix a little with cottage cheese to eat straight up and yogurt or sour cream for dips)

Peanut Butter (or any nut butter really)

Canned veggies (cause sometimes they go down better than raw or frozen)

Canned Beans

V8/Cambells boxed Soups (I like the butternut and broccoli varieties Yum)

No Salt Added chicken Stock (I like Kitchen Basics unsalted, or Pacific Organic unsalted)

tuna (The foil packets of flavored tuna rock my socks off...also the Bumblee bee tuna Thai Chili is awesome!)

Crackers (yeah carbs but sometimes I need something crunchy to eat with tuna!)

chicken doesn't sit well in my stomach but I buy pretty much all apple-saucy's Proteins plus shrimp, scallops, Pork rinds (my crunch food), tilapia, ground beef for chili, canned tomatoes, mushrooms and whatever berry is in season.

I actually eat lots of normal food-just very small amounts I eat whatever my family is having for supper-chicken, fish, chili, tacos-whatever.

I eat a poached egg and small low-fat, sugar free latte almost every morning.

I like certain Protein bars-half a bar replaces a meal!

Fill-in foods: low-fat cottage cheese and fage 20% greek yogurt, smoothies made from unflavored Protein Powder etc.

It's important to find the things you like so that you regularly actually want them. I stil get hungry so I need a plan. I still have the ability to go thru a McDonald's drive thru so I need to have another plan than that!

I'm out and about most days I've just discovered how much easier it is to have a insulated lunch box so the yogurt is cold and Protein Bar isn't melty.

Don't forget sf popsicles and fudgesicles!

Foster farms meatballs are a must have. 18g of Protein in 3 balls!! GOOD STUFF.

chicken, Steak and Salmon. YUMMM

eggs, cheese, turkey sausage

Bananas, watermelon, cantalope-i eat very small amounts of these weekly after my Protein is in.

I use to eat lots of yogurt and cottage cheese, but was always hungry so my dr. told me to cut the soft calories out and eat more meat and protein that would stay in my sleeve longer.

Kelly

Peanut Butter

Cream cheese

Pimento cheese spread

Crunchy crackers (I'm not low-carbing).

Melon

Grilled salmon (one 4-ounce piece makes 4 meals for me)

Greek yogurt

Cheese (cheddar, parmesan, co-jack, whatever sounds good)

Nuts

Milk and almond milk for my iced coffee

Think Thin Protein bars--Creamy Peanut Butter and Brownie Crunch

Gatorade

When I was first back on foods, my list looked a little different:

Cottage cheese

Greek yogurt

Peanut butter (I ate a spoonful a day)

Gatorade

Soup for blending up

sugar-free pudding

For your tofu, you can get some hot and sour Soup at your local Chinese restaurant, and add extra tofu cubes into the soup (use the soup like a sauce), refrigerate, and then when you're hungry, reheat and enjoy!

Since my husband is also a sleever, we really sort of "snack" at mealtime as opposed to actually cooking and having a "dinner" like before sleeving. I eat a small amount every 3 hours or so, aiming for 4 times a day (usually I only make 3 times, sometimes 2!). But we have ready-to-eat, sleeve-friendly food in the fridge so when we feel we need to eat, we don't have to worry about cooking or going out for it.

All the ideas everyone has posted have been great.

I would add Sugar Free/ Fat Free instant pudding (I make a small box) and I add a scoop of unflavored why Protein to make it a high Protein snack and it lasts me a long time.....

Skim milk (I have to drink Lactaid fat free now.....)

hummus

crystal light (if you like it) i add a scoop of unflavored protein to it sometimes

If I think of more, I will add.

Dawn :)

I just recently discovered Sam's Choice Stuffed chicken Breasts at Walmart. They are in the frozen foods section. They are very high in Protein and low in carbs. They are yummy.

eggs

String cheese

Provolone cheese slices

Swiss cheese slices

Shredded cheese(colby-m jack)

Cottage cheese

Fage Greek yogurt

tuna

Chicken(both frozen & canned)

Meatballs

Sams Choice Stuffed chicken Brst

Refried Beans

Queso cheese dip

Ground chuck

Ribeye

Shrimp

Bacon

Taco mix

Hidden valley ranch mix

Cajun spices

Pure Protein Bars

Bacon

Mini pepperoni

Cubed Ham

Cream cheese

Stevia or truvia

Peanut Butter

Babybel cheese

Laughing cow cheese

Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus

I was sleeved on May 23, 2011. My grocery list is: Knudsen fat free cottage cheese (tastes better because it is not slimey), greek yogurt, low fat cheese, Swai fish fillets, salmon, pinto Beans, tuna, sugar free mixed berry green tea,shrimp, scallops, crab meat spinach, cauliflower, fresh peaches, and mangos.

I usually have my Protein shake for my Breakfast meal, broiled fish with home made mango salsa and a small salad for lunch, and cottage cheese and fuit for dinner. I mix it up and alternate meals so as not to get bored.

Good luck :rolleyes:

This is a great thread! My list has a little from all of these but will definitely be longer now when I can corporate some of these ideas in!! Thanks!

Don't forget frozen shrimp (with the tails on). A great source of Protein. And the shrimp sauce to dip them into.

Also - dill relish to use with tuna and light mayo for a quick tuna salad.< /p>

and in the gourmet section of my store (such as it is) they have packages of little squares of melba toast - to make orderves out of - I use them with laughing cow triangles of cheese. Two triangles of cheese and 8-10 mini toasts make a quick and filling lunch.< /p>

A also like the cherry / grape tomatoes - both the yellow and red.

And cucumbers and asparagras and yellow crookneck squash.

I saw tofu has high Protein but have no clue what to do with it?

I make tofu quite often. It has a bit of a nondescript taste on its own, but most importantly, will absorb the flavor of whatever you marinate it in. :)

Here are my tips. You want tofu as dry as you can get it. Do NOT buy "silken" tofu unless you want to cream it up, or have it be mushy. And I mean mushy, like pudding.If you want something you can chew, buy regular (won't have "silken" on the package) tofu, and get extra firm. Better yet, dry it out a bit when you get home. Not necessary, but it helps. To do this, sandwich it between hand towels, or a lot of paper towels, put a cookie sheet or small tray on the top layer of towel, and then add a can or two to weight it down. Let it sit for about an hour. THis will give you tofu that's still soft, but has some meatiness.

My favorite way to prepare it is "thai" style. I don't have a recipe for this, I just kinda throw it together, but here's a starting point:

Microwave a tbl or 2 of honey so it's soft. Stir in:

A cup or two of OJ (you can use reduced sugar/acid, if you like)

2 tbl sesame oil

2 tsp soy sauce

1 tsp fish sauce

1/4 C (or more) peanut sauce

1/4 C light brown sugar

squirt of Sriracha

Slice the tofu into "steaks" and marinate them at least 4 hours. To cook, heat a frying pan with sesame oil. Cook the tofu until browned. I then add in the leftover marinate and cook it until it carmelizes.

Turkey pepperoni chips! I have gotten so many of my non-WLS friends hooked these.

Once I gradauted to "foods as tolerated" my absolute must-have was Hormel turkey pepperoni. I lay them out on about 4 paper towels (25 - 30 of them will fit), and microwave them until they start to darken and most of the oils have cooked out. In my microwave, this is right around 1 m 30 s. As soon as you pull them out, blot them (hard) dry with another wad of paper towels, and then let them cool. They will be very crunchy, and very flavorful. They make a great low/no carb "chip". I like using them as scoops for cottage cheese or "garden vegetable" cream cheese. I pack them into ziplocs for on-the-go meals, and for when I travel.

Note: I have a lap-band, not a sleeve. The spices in the pepperoni may react differently to your pouches, since our stomachs are still intact.