Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Memory/Concentration/Focus

I'm re-posting this from my blog in hopes that someone might have some insight for me....

In the past couple of weeks I've been really struggling to maintain my mental faculties. I'm pretty new in my department and I have a very technical job, it scares me because I find my retention really poor lately. It's as though my brain just stops before it even starts thinking. It starts at " I know I need to think about this..." and that's as far as it goes. I can't even get to the stage where I can't remember.... hell I can't even START thinking about remembering!

I'm afraid I'm going to burn the house down. Driving even makes me nervous as my attention span is really poor right now. I'm sure that its related to my diet and that I must be deficient in some things. I just wish I knew what it was and what I could do to change this

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions??

x-posted to OH & GS

Sorry to hear this is happening to you. Maybe you could go get some lab work and see what you might be deficient in.

I hope you get to the bottom of this!smile.gif

I second the labs. There are a lot of things that could cause cognitive fuzziness and labs would be a good place to start narrowing down the field.

I'm re-posting this from my blog in hopes that someone might have some insight for me....

In the past couple of weeks I've been really struggling to maintain my mental faculties. I'm pretty new in my department and I have a very technical job, it scares me because I find my retention really poor lately. It's as though my brain just stops before it even starts thinking. It starts at " I know I need to think about this..." and that's as far as it goes. I can't even get to the stage where I can't remember.... hell I can't even START thinking about remembering!

I'm afraid I'm going to burn the house down. Driving even makes me nervous as my attention span is really poor right now. I'm sure that its related to my diet and that I must be deficient in some things. I just wish I knew what it was and what I could do to change this

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions??

x-posted to OH & GS

I swear I read on this site that it has something to do with the reduction in the amount of grehlin (?). It plays a roll in memory or something.

I guess I need to book with PCP then! I was avoiding it as she doesn't yet know that I've had the sleeve (I'm self pay) so it will be a bit of a surprise I think!

I might be off the mark here... are you doing really low carb?

The reason I ask is that I am a teacher... I need my mental focus all day at school and sometimes, if my carbs are really low - under 30 - I find myself getting forgetful and what I call brain freeze... I literally have a bland mind and face!! When this happens I add extra carbs in the form of wholewheat/grain bread or crackers... just a slice or a few crackers! I find this helps me... might be worth a try?!

However, getting your bloods checked can't hurt either!

Let us know how you get on =]

Two suggestions:

Ditto to Coops. I cannot do ultra low carb so if you are, try ramping them up for a week or two and see how that makes you feel. For some of us, ultra low carb can create brain fog and depression. Even Adkins recognized that and therefore, kept his "induction" window of very low carb at 2 weeks.

Second, get your hormone levels checked. I looked at your profile info and the mid-30's can reek havoc on hormones. It's probably something more diet related, but hormones can also be a culprit.

And I feel your pain. The past year has been a real struggle for me. I know mine is based in stress (had a family tragedy - the type that was all over the news to kick it off) followed by 2 siblings and a best friend dying w/in 4 months and then 3 months later being sleeved. I'm also early 50's so toss in hormones and with this combo, I"m lucky I can dress myself most days.

I hope you get a good answer and are feeling better soon.

I don't "low carb" as I have never been able to stick to that diet. I got sleeved in order to not be on a "diet" ever again as they don't work for me. I just track my calories and eat mindfully and with my sleeve giving me the restriction, its working smile.gif

My mental fuzziness improved with Multivitamins and 1 cup of coffee... seems like it just clears away the cobwebs.

Hope you get some answers soon!

Meg