Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

Just introducing myself. I've been overweight since at least Kindergarten. I'm now in my mid-30s. Have two kids, a husband and a whole lot of weight to lose. I started first looking into WLS seven years or so ago but due to insurance and financial constraints, it never happened. This year, I decided to do it. Still not covered by insurance so I'm self pay, and ran through hoops to pay for it, but darn it. It's going to happen! My surgery is June 21st. I'm nervous, excited, etc. I work at home and hubby works in education. Both kids are in Elementary.

Last month, I decided that physical changes won't be enough and reached out to a psychologist that specializes in weight loss. We've only met a few times, but she knows me, she knows my story and I know she's there when things gets hard.

Not sure what else to say. I've been doing the pre-op diet for over a week. Mine is two shakes per day plus 6 oz of chicken or fish plus steamed veggies, less than 800 calories, 30 carbs and 10 fat grams. It's been tough because I have weird food allergies (like soy!) so finding a Protein Shake that I could drink that didn't make me gag was hard. I ended up with a bottled one (Pure Protein of all things from the grocery store) that I've managed to keep down. I won't say I LIKE it, but well... I can do anything for a few months, right?

Why I'm having the surgery is for my health (duh). I have light sleep apnea and high blood pressure. My dream is to run around with my kids, ride a roller coaster to see if I really am scared of them or just scared of not fitting, fit in ONE airplane seat comfortably and more importantly break the hold that food has over me. I've done the work, I know I can do it.

Anyway, that's me... I always hate these intro things. LOL.

Glad you here! I will have my surgery June 23. And I am also in Texas! Please keep us posted on how you are doing. I've been on an emotional roller coaster for the last few weeks but for some reason the last day or so I've had a very calm feeling about what's to come next week. It's so weird. I'm sure I will fall apart right before it is time. Lol

Hi! I am Texas friend. You are going to love the sleeve. It will change your life. Congrats!!!

Hi from another Texas Gal!!! I live in Sugar Land, TX!! Welcome to the board you're gonna love it here!!! We have some Ninja/Gurus on here that know alot about WLS and can pretty much answer any questions that you have!!

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck on your weight loss journey!!:)

Hi there,

Just introducing myself. I've been overweight since at least Kindergarten. I'm now in my mid-30s. Have two kids, a husband and a whole lot of weight to lose. I started first looking into WLS seven years or so ago but due to insurance and financial constraints, it never happened. This year, I decided to do it. Still not covered by insurance so I'm self pay, and ran through hoops to pay for it, but darn it. It's going to happen! My surgery is June 21st. I'm nervous, excited, etc. I work at home and hubby works in education. Both kids are in Elementary.

Last month, I decided that physical changes won't be enough and reached out to a psychologist that specializes in weight loss. We've only met a few times, but she knows me, she knows my story and I know she's there when things gets hard.

Not sure what else to say. I've been doing the pre-op diet for over a week. Mine is two shakes per day plus 6 oz of chicken or fish plus steamed veggies, less than 800 calories, 30 carbs and 10 fat grams. It's been tough because I have weird food allergies (like soy!) so finding a Protein shake that I could drink that didn't make me gag was hard. I ended up with a bottled one (Pure Protein of all things from the grocery store) that I've managed to keep down. I won't say I LIKE it, but well... I can do anything for a few months, right?

Why I'm having the surgery is for my health (duh). I have light sleep apnea and high blood pressure. My dream is to run around with my kids, ride a roller coaster to see if I really am scared of them or just scared of not fitting, fit in ONE airplane seat comfortably and more importantly break the hold that food has over me. I've done the work, I know I can do it.

Anyway, that's me... I always hate these intro things. LOL.

Well welcome to the forum. . . you're going to be glad you did this in the long run. . . in the beginning it's a bit weird and no matter how prepared you think you are, you really aren't, but it's a learning thing and once you get the hang of it, away you go. . . one bit of advice here from a oldie but goodie, don't become a slave to the scale. . .i got rid of mine once i came home from the hospital and only weighed at the doctor appts. . . you'll have more out of it and your going to be alot happier then if you weigh yourself every day . . don't do that to yourself. . . it comes off your clothes will tell you that. . . but other then that good luck and keep on a postin! San Antonio gal here. . . you?

Well welcome to the forum. . . you're going to be glad you did this in the long run. . . in the beginning it's a bit weird and no matter how prepared you think you are, you really aren't, but it's a learning thing and once you get the hang of it, away you go. . . one bit of advice here from a oldie but goodie, don't become a slave to the scale. . .i got rid of mine once i came home from the hospital and only weighed at the doctor appts. . . you'll have more out of it and your going to be alot happier then if you weigh yourself every day . . don't do that to yourself. . . it comes off your clothes will tell you that. . . but other then that good luck and keep on a postin! San Antonio gal here. . . you?

Oh, I think I'm probably so unprepared that it's crazy. LOL. I think of at least 20 different things I need to do or think about or say or ask every day. I'm sure it's nerves. I figure that I'm just going to roll with it after. It took me 30-some years to get this fat and I can't expect all of my habits, thoughts and the weight itself to change overnight. I'm lucky that have the most incredible and helpful husband on the planet (and he cooks, he's totally into figuring out the post op stuff with me) so I've definitely got the support in my corner. The rest... I'm just going to go with it. I think I'll keep the scale though but no, I'm not going to obsess. Good idea though, I'll tell hubby he has my permission to hide it if I start freaking or obsessing :)

I say that now but talk to me in a week when I'm completely hormonal, regretful and crazed, eh? LOL.

And Wow! You went from right around where I am now to where I want to at least get to in 18 months. You are AWESOME. Congrats! (I'm in Austin)

Oh, I think I'm probably so unprepared that it's crazy. LOL. I think of at least 20 different things I need to do or think about or say or ask every day. I'm sure it's nerves. I figure that I'm just going to roll with it after. It took me 30-some years to get this fat and I can't expect all of my habits, thoughts and the weight itself to change overnight. I'm lucky that have the most incredible and helpful husband on the planet (and he cooks, he's totally into figuring out the post op stuff with me) so I've definitely got the support in my corner. The rest... I'm just going to go with it. I think I'll keep the scale though but no, I'm not going to obsess. Good idea though, I'll tell hubby he has my permission to hide it if I start freaking or obsessing :)

I say that now but talk to me in a week when I'm completely hormonal, regretful and crazed, eh? LOL.

And Wow! You went from right around where I am now to where I want to at least get to in 18 months. You are AWESOME. Congrats! (I'm in Austin)

hahaha, do I detect a bit of Canadian? eh? Girl, if I can do it, you definately can do it! You won't be hormonal and crazy. . I wasn't, hubbie thought i had totally improved in mood and so on. . . that was a first! hehehehe. . .

hahaha, do I detect a bit of Canadian? eh? Girl, if I can do it, you definately can do it! You won't be hormonal and crazy. . I wasn't, hubbie thought i had totally improved in mood and so on. . . that was a first! hehehehe. . .

Ya know, I spent ONE week with a friend of mine in Canada 12 or more years ago and I still say "eh" and type it even more often. Damned Canadians. ;) I am going for worse case here. I had a very simple, but painful outpatient procedure that my recovery was a bit of a rollercoaster. Poor guy, he's probably expecting more of the same insanity. LOL

Welcome! And congrats on your upcoming sleeve :)

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!! :)