Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My port flipped

I actually just had port revision surgery the day before yesterday. I had no indication that it had flipped, no pain or anything. I went in to get my second fill and it had completely flipped. It was not even accessible under floro, so if I wanted fills, I had no choice but to have the surgery. The doctor said it wasn't caused by anything I did or didn't do. It just happens sometimes, although I was his first patient to have one. As far as the surgery, it is not that big of a deal. Especially not compared to the original band surgery. I admit, I am pretty sore right now, but I am back to work and the soreness is manageable.

The video Tim shared shows they can do a port revision as an office procedure under a local in that area. Some leave it flipped if they are using fluro I guess its surgeons choice. Good Luck!!

Well I went for my second fill yesterday and my port went from perfectly flat to standing on its side like a quarter. I suspect it will go on and flip eventually. They were able to access it by pushing a certain way and holding the needle at a very low angle.

Like other poster's I no indication of a problem. Oh well that's life.

Myra

I'd like to thank everyone for their response to my port flipping. I had my port flipped back into place August 16th and everything went really well. I seemed to be a lot more sore than the initial surgery. The soreness subsided after about a week. I am now facing my next obstacle. It seems that the Medical Services Plan in the Province I live in may discontinue fills. They should have a ruling sometime the week of Sept. 11th. To date, I have lost 39 1/2 lbs in 3 1/2 months (without a fill).

I still haven't gotten the hang of this message board....:D

I had my port righted the 28th of Aug...and six stiches removed a couple of days ago.

Thanks to those who posted. It made me feel a lot more comfortable about going in a second time. I had a little discomfort for the first 24 hrs...and very little since then. I asked about a fill. Dr. said I didn't need one, yet. My anniversary date is 9/21/05...So, I will see what he thinks, when I see him in Dec.

He said I was doing well and that the original surgery was still perfect and to quit being so hard on myself. I am going back to biking and working my way back to 10K steps. BWG:clap2:

It has occurred to me that the location of the port site maybe the reason for the flipping. Along with loosing weight too of coarse. By the 3rd week post surgery i was able to sleep on the port side. I think that 's one of the reasons mine decided to stand on it's end. I went for my 2nd fill last Saturday and the Doc had to go up above the port and stick the needle in from above straight down. It was strange looking, but worked. Took an hour, but worked. He is really good at this. I still hope this will be my last one, for a good long while anyway.

Freeradical

15.5 lbs lost.

My port has flipped but they are able to manuver around it apparently when I lay on my side. I am hoping it doesnt move anymore or I may have to have it reajusted. Cross ur fingers.

Everything I have is crossed....all the time! Any time my brain is idle I instantly go to Lord please let this band keep working forever. I haven't felt this good in 13 years.

Freeradical

There was no idication that my port had flipped. I do not know why this occurs but would like to know. I had to have my port replaced as a result one year after surgery, and now 2.5 years later, it is flipped again. My doc wants me to have outpatient surgery to get it fixed but am looking into seeing if my insurance covers it. Hopefully it does. I have not had ANY type of discomfort due to its flipping. Hope this helps someone. And if anyone knows why this happens, I'd be inetrested in knowing. Thanks! God luck to All!!!

I've been doing alot of research about going to Mexico to get my band done, but now, I am worried that my port could flip and I wouldn't know what to do. If something like this happens, and for whatever reason, you can't go to your dr, would other drs fix it?

I believe if your banded in Mexico and the port flips, you can return to Mexico to have it repaired. If you were to have it repaired here in the United States, you would need to find a surgeon willing to do the surgery. You can call your insurance company to see if they would pay to have the repair done here.

I swear my port flipped last week. I have had bronchitis now for 2-1/2 weeks and have been coughing alot. I layed down on my bed one night and I swear I felt my port flip. It has felt different to me since then, but maybe that's just because I think it flipped. I guess I will find out at my next fill, whenever that is. I'm hoping it didn't, but if not, what was that movement that I felt?

I'm so happy to hear this, I go in the hospital tomorrow to get my port repaired found out 2 days ago mine had fliped.....i have been a little worried about it but reading your post really makes me feel better. Did your doctor say how this happened? I ask my doctor and he just said it could have been a number of things. Who knows???????