Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soup question pls help!

Ok im on my 2nd day of full liquids.. everything has been fine. Tried pudding, yogurt, and cream of chickn/cream of celery Soup..

I hate both Soups.. and i dont do cream of mushroom. Is Tomato Soup ok?? I didnt know if I had to have cream of Tomato or if regular campbells tomato was ok. I cant stand the cream of celery, cream of mushroom, or cream of chicken Soups :(

And im sick of pudding and sweet stuff already :(

Any ideas?

Hey Tamz! I don't know the answer to your question as I am pre-op but I wanted to see how you were doing. I read your post yesterday and I felt really bad for you. Is your pain and discomfort better today? I'm really scared of post-op but I just keep trying to tell myself it is only temporary and it's something I just have to do to get where I want. I'm telling myself that now---after surgery--I will probably be a basket case :)

Hey Tamz,

I am on my 1st day of full liquids (8 days post op). My diet guide says thinned creamed Soups (tomato, mushroom, chicken etc). I was hoping to have some Cream of Potato strained the chunks out and thinned with extra milk. Not sure if that was OK either. I am assuming that thinned out cream soups means the light versions as they are usually thinner. But if you add more milk than called for, the Soup comes out thin anyway. I am going for my one week post op visit tomorrow and will ask for sure.

I haven't tried pudding or yogurt yet. I am a litte weary I guess. Cold stuff still bothers my tummy - except popsicles which go down ok.

How are you doing on your Water intake?

Keep up the good work!

:cheer2:

Yesss, much better. Sore from this hole in my tummy from the tube but otherwise id be fine!! I am getting sick of not being able to drive lol. U will be ok... i promise!!

Hey Tamz,

I am on my 1st day of full liquids (8 days post op). My diet guide says thinned creamed Soups (tomato, mushroom, chicken etc). I was hoping to have some Cream of Potato strained the chunks out and thinned with extra milk. Not sure if that was OK either. I am assuming that thinned out cream soups means the light versions as they are usually thinner. But if you add more milk than called for, the Soup comes out thin anyway. I am going for my one week post op visit tomorrow and will ask for sure.

I haven't tried pudding or yogurt yet. I am a litte weary I guess. Cold stuff still bothers my tummy - except popsicles which go down ok.

How are you doing on your Water intake?

Keep up the good work!

:cheer2:

Water doesn't go down well.. However juice and crystal light do really well.. I had my first post op with dr today and he said its normal.. So he said just continue with crystal light.

I dont do well with the warm stuff lol... Which is probably why I didnt like those soups. I really suggest u try th Sf Ff vanilla pudding. It was the first thing I tried and went down so great. :)

I would stay away from anything with celery in it! Maybe the cheap kinds of Soup don't have real celery but I wouldn't chance it. Other than that, y'all are lucky, I wasn't eating that much my first few days post op! I'm on day 21 or 22 now and JUST graduated to soft and blended foods. You will be amazed at how fast the time flies. I've lived on Gatorade for the most part because whats left of my tummy hates me.

Hi yb :) First, congrats on ur surgery :D . I have not had my surgery yet, but have read most of ur posts, and although I cant remember what I ate for lunch, and I may be wrong, but I think I read in one or more of ur posts, u were concerned about ur blood pressure dropping, or feeling like weak or dizzy post op, or something like that.....Anyway, Im sure we all have those thoughts. I am totally freaking out though. Those thoughts r in my mind 24/7!!! Cause of all my co-mobilities, I feel like I will experience such horror afterwards like passing out type stuff. Sooooooo.....ultimately.....my question to u is.....have u been drinking the gatorade from the beginning post op?????? Im thinking that will be the only thing that will help me. I know it helps me now when im weak, light headed, dizzy, etc..... I have electrolyte imbalances. I know it sounds crazy, but Im thinking of stocking up on the clear gatorade b4 time. Whats ur suggestion on that, if u dont mind me asking? My surgery was cancelled on June 13th, and Im still waiting to hear from the surgeon as to when my new date will be. In the meantime, although my ins does not require me to do any post op diet, I have been on liquids all week, finally :blink::blink::blink: I cant imagine what it will be like afterwards. Im literally freaking out now. Im starving like a wild animal in the jungle, and totally nasty and miserable. Anyway, thanks for any advise or response if u would kindly. Keep up the good work!!! :DB)

I would stay away from anything with celery in it! Maybe the cheap kinds of Soup don't have real celery but I wouldn't chance it. Other than that, y'all are lucky, I wasn't eating that much my first few days post op! I'm on day 21 or 22 now and JUST graduated to soft and blended foods. You will be amazed at how fast the time flies. I've lived on Gatorade for the most part because whats left of my tummy hates me.

I'd be real wary of Tomato Soup because tomatoes are something that can really trigger acid, and you do NOT want that right now :) You just have to be careful and see how it feels.

Hi yb :) First, congrats on ur surgery :D . I have not had my surgery yet, but have read most of ur posts, and although I cant remember what I ate for lunch, and I may be wrong, but I think I read in one or more of ur posts, u were concerned about ur blood pressure dropping, or feeling like weak or dizzy post op, or something like that.....Anyway, Im sure we all have those thoughts. I am totally freaking out though. Those thoughts r in my mind 24/7!!! Cause of all my co-mobilities, I feel like I will experience such horror afterwards like passing out type stuff. Sooooooo.....ultimately.....my question to u is.....have u been drinking the gatorade from the beginning post op?????? Im thinking that will be the only thing that will help me. I know it helps me now when im weak, light headed, dizzy, etc..... I have electrolyte imbalances. I know it sounds crazy, but Im thinking of stocking up on the clear gatorade b4 time. Whats ur suggestion on that, if u dont mind me asking? My surgery was cancelled on June 13th, and Im still waiting to hear from the surgeon as to when my new date will be. In the meantime, although my ins does not require me to do any post op diet, I have been on liquids all week, finally :blink::blink::blink: I cant imagine what it will be like afterwards. Im literally freaking out now. Im starving like a wild animal in the jungle, and totally nasty and miserable. Anyway, thanks for any advise or response if u would kindly. Keep up the good work!!! :DB)

aww man sorry your surgery was postponed! Mine was almost postponed as well if I didnt get my blood sugars down in time.. I worked my ass off getting that sucker down! lol anyways....... I never have been a fan of gatorade. I dont like how its so sweet or tart .. depending on the flavor. I have tried the calorie free ones.. but I get that fake sweet taste (like diet coke) and I hate that. However, if you have an electrolyte imbalance you may want to consider pedialyte (sp?) as well. Technically for babies but LOTS of adults use it when dehydrated and its great for what you need it for. Try it, wont hurt.

I have been feeling a lot better in the last 24 hrs. This morning I had cream of wheat for the first time and it was delicious. Its going to be my new morning meal :) I still get worried about making sure Im doing the right things, but I had my first post op appt with my dr yesterday and asked A LOT of questions. So far Im doing everything right and I just need to calm down he says lol. I tried to stock up on things beforehand.. like crystal light, no sugar added juices.. etc, bc i knew i needed to really be focused on getting my liquids. Unfortunately some of the crystal light is sickening to me now (the orange and grape) and the only juice i really like is apple and the white grape peach by Ocean Spray. I mix the juice with Water because its a little sweet..... but Water doesnt go down well for me at all so I cant really do it by itself. Its easier if i just dilude the juice with it. All in all what im trying to say is... dont stock up on anything at first. After your sleeve things will taste different and things will become so unappealing. Get a bunch of diff things first.. and see what works.. then stock up on it :)

Keep in touch! Im rooting for you... I hope your surgery date is set soon!!! Xox

Hey there Tamz. Glad to hear that you are doing better! I did eat Tomato Soup early on and had no problems with it. Just make sure that you are taking a PPI if you have acid issues.

Try roasting veggies and throwing them in a good blender with chicken broth and milk. Purée and strain if needed. That was always my base. Then you can add different spices ( like taco seasoning or indian or whatever) in VERY small doses to start ( a little spice went a very long way for me) to mix it up. I even added chili to mine sometimes. Mmmmmmm

I am making my own Soups. I start out with chicken thighs, tons of veggies,poultry seasoning and cook, cook, cook . Then I debone the chicken and put everythin into the blender, add some milk and blend until smooth. It tastes just like my homemade soup--just looks yucky.

Try it.

Valentina

Try roasting veggies and throwing them in a good blender with chicken broth and milk. Purée and strain if needed. That was always my base. Then you can add different spices ( like taco seasoning or indian or whatever) in VERY small doses to start ( a little spice went a very long way for me) to mix it up. I even added chili to mine sometimes. Mmmmmmm

I started Gatorade G2 on the day I got home from surgery and haven't stopped it. I feel horribly weak but I think that's because I'm not eating enough. To be honest nothing sounds good so I take a bite of something here or there. At this point I'm not even sure what I *can* have because I've had serious heartburn issues (fixed now with more nexium and Gaviscon) and now a horrible lactose intolerance. :blink: I live by Murphy's Law LOL

My advice and what's helped me through this (without a trip to the E.R. I'm sure) is the Gatorade. The only one I can tolerate now is (what I tell my husband) "the red kind" so I'm guessing fruit punch or something lol

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and keep me posted!

xoxo Renee`

I began to gag at the smell of cream Soups and broth, so I just took a normal can of Soup I liked, blended it and strained it. My doc said that was fine.

My surgeon said I can have cream of Tomato Soup. Actually any of the cream Soups (potato, mushroom, etc) but they all must be mixed in a blender first to get out any chunks. He said the rule is it would have to be able to go through a strainer to be appropriate for the full liquids phase. I've been drinking a lot of V8 juice lately. I love that stuff!