ร—
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks. I smoke WAY TOO MUCH- over a pack a day. I've wanted to want to quit, but I haven't wanted to quit. Does that make sense? My husband, who dips tobacco and smokes a cigarette every now and then, is very supportive of me quitting since I've been told that it will help me heal. I know people who've had bypass surgery and never stopped. But I don't want to go through all of this for health reasons and have my body fail to heal properly because I haven't stopped smoking.

I know I'm gonna have to stop and I know that I need to stop- surgery or not. I guess it would be a good idea to go ahead and try to cut down so that when the time comes for me to stop, I will already be on my way. And since people usually gain weight when they stop smoking, I guess it's better to do that now before surgery, than to have problems losing weight after surgery.

Thanks. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has gone through this.

HI Meg,

I also used e cigarette to quit, called "Square" you can get at the liquor/drug store like circle K AM /PM market. I was using the standard regular strength e-cigs and went I went for the surgeon consult the other day.. The Doc told me I couldn't have ANY nicotine, none none none. side note- I wanted to scream but kept my composure... My doc requires 8 weeks pre op no nicotine/ no smoking, and they test the urine as well just to check up on ya... so no cheating. He also told me it causes ulcers frequently in sleeved smokers and is bad for bloodflow for healing.

I know I don't want any complications from blood clots or respiratory distress so its all for the best..

I too have smoked for 20 + years and I was hoping to ease off gradually and I so want and need the sleeve, and so I went and bought the NON nicotine, No tar Square smokeless e cig ( its the white one). It isn't like the other one, but its something for the hands to do...( you smokers know what I mean) So far I am 6 days and doing ok. I just don't want to start eating everything in sight!!!. and Yes I became that raving b-otch... for anyone who looked at me crosswise. Everything seemed like it made my pressure rise too!

So I was a wild woman for a couple of days, drivers beware.. haha and I made it through. I just have to keep busy.. I have found retail therapy seems to help for the weekend. My friends who many of them smoke have been kind about not asking me on break at work to watch them smoke. They all know how hard it is as they have all tried quitting many times.

PS I hated that Wellbutrin.

I had tried Welbutrin as well and had a bad dizzy reaction to it and had to leave my work that day I couldn't even drive. after 3 days after that trial period, I threw all those pills out ( I have to say it did remove some craving from the body.. but all in all I was better off with the e- cig.

good luck.

Orangina

I smoked for 27 years. I quit 29 days ago. I used the e-cigarette. You drag on it like a cig but it gives you the nicotine in a Water vapor. I used that e-cig ONLY when the cravings got so bad I thought I would give up. It saved the day by taking the edge off just enough to not spark up a real smoke. I used the e-cigarette for 2 weeks when the cravings were the worst. If you can make it 2 weeks, you can make it forever. Just keep telling yourself, TODAY I WILL NOT SMOKE, and don't worry about tomorrow till it gets here.

Good luck and be strong. wink.gif

Great job Fluffy Chick! You are a step ahead of me!.. I am hoping to have my surgery in late October or early November.. before the holidays .. . I even go to bed "early" and read to get off the computer so I don't want to smoke.!!