Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch Potato to 5K

I have been wanting to do this for a very long time. Problem: Bad bad knees. :( Today, I thought screw it, I'm going to try anyway and I did. Did 2 reps of week 1 day 1 and my knee almost gave out as in POP see you later allegator. I almost gave up then I thought I am not going to give up, not ever, I modified it to my needs and did Power Walking instead of jogging. Less impact on my joints and my knees are not as angry with me. I actually think I Power Walk faster than I jog too. My goal is to power walk the entire Turkey Trot here in Charlotte. :)

5k at the end of the month. I won't be finished with my 5K training, but I want to do this. It will be my first 5K.

I went to the Columbus Marathon today with a couple of friends. They both did the half-marathon. Very proud of them!!! And want to do the marathon next year. But gotta start small.

So I thought I would give myself a little push for the last run of week 4. Since week 5 gets longer and longer, I thought I would see how long I could go. So I did the normal 3 min jog first, 90 sec rest, and then I started into my 5 minute run, thinking I would try for 7 minutes, I passed 7 minutes, and tried for 8, then once I got passed 8, I figured screw it, I am going for 10! And I did it! 10 minutes straight running, then 2.5 minutes walking, then another 3 minute run!! I was so excited. I am not going to push like that next run, let my body recover, but now, week 5 is not looking quite as scary!

Hey, Bug,

Where are you doing the 5K? I'm doing the Westerville one...Dress as your fav dead celebrity. The first 5K I did was less than 4 months after surgery. Jogged the first 2 miles then walked the 3rd. This one I just hope to be able to jog it all. If not, I just want to get under my last time. I don't think jogging is my thing but hey....it's a goal! Good luck. Oh yeah, I was on week 7 of C25K when I jogged/walked my first 5K so just get out there and do your best and have fun!

Okay, I'm interested in getting started on this. However, I'm still at 295 pounds and walking 2.4 mph on the treadmill for a mile wears me out. Am I too heavy yet to start this? I have dislocated my kneecap twice, both at much lower weights than I am now.

I'd really like to do the breast cancer 5k walk here at the end of January, and I won't be embarrassed if I have to walk the whole thing. Should I work towards walking the 3.1 miles on the treadmill and then start the C25K program?

Hopefully someone who has BTDT will chime in for me. :)

Okay, I'm interested in getting started on this. However, I'm still at 295 pounds and walking 2.4 mph on the treadmill for a mile wears me out. Am I too heavy yet to start this? I have dislocated my kneecap twice, both at much lower weights than I am now.

I'd really like to do the breast cancer 5k walk here at the end of January, and I won't be embarrassed if I have to walk the whole thing. Should I work towards walking the 3.1 miles on the treadmill and then start the C25K program?

Hopefully someone who has BTDT will chime in for me. :smile1:

I would work on the walking first. You are doing awesome, and I would just work on getting to 3 miles first, and then work on speeding it up a little at a time. Running is very tough, and especially if you have had knee problems in the past, the impact might hurt them. Plus, if you get injured, then you will have to quit all together. Stick to the 2.4mph and just slowly increase your distance or time. Once you can walk the whole 3 miles at 2.4mph, increase your speed to 2.5 or 2.6 and see how you feel. Do that for a week, and then increase again. Once you are walking at a quicker pace, say 3 or 3.3 mph, then you could try adding in the jogging intervals at the start of the program. It is best to start off slowly. If you go too hard to fast, you will burn yourself out and hate doing it, or worse, get injured. You have done the right thing by getting active first! Keep it up!!

Thanks, Sweetums! I had basically figured I'd be better off to start slower, but thought some real world experience from others might be good. :)

I actually did a little more than a mile today before I had to stop, which is good. My only concern is that the heart rate monitor on the treadmill seems to be wacky! It kept jumping between 98 and 180 for my rates. I have my own heart rate monitor which I will take with me next time.

On the bright side, after I did my walking, I did a few strength training exercises for my arms and had no difficulty with that. :) I can't believe that I'm willingly working out at less than 3 months post op!

Thanks, Sweetums! I had basically figured I'd be better off to start slower, but thought some real world experience from others might be good. :smile1:

I actually did a little more than a mile today before I had to stop, which is good. My only concern is that the heart rate monitor on the treadmill seems to be wacky! It kept jumping between 98 and 180 for my rates. I have my own heart rate monitor which I will take with me next time.

On the bright side, after I did my walking, I did a few strength training exercises for my arms and had no difficulty with that. :smile1: I can't believe that I'm willingly working out at less than 3 months post op!

Firstly, you are doing awesome. I frankly was lazy and didn't start an exercise program until I was about 9 months post op.

I would use your own heart rate monitor. Those ones that are on treadmills, especially if you just have to hold on, are so unrealiable. That is great that you were able to go a little further than a mile. It will just get easier and easier. Good luck!!

Thanks, Sweetums! I appreciate the feedback! I'll be back here once I'm more ready to do the C25K... and I'll be watching everyone else's progress! :)