Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled to be banded July 12, 2006, Maybe.....

I just found this site yesterday. I scheduled my band for July 12, 2006. Now I am really scared after reading everything on the site. I have only had surgery twice in my life (dental and gallbladder). I am scared of what my happen ie complications. I am the main bread winner so too much time off work will hurt my finances.

I struggle with should I really do this or should I try life style changes again. I lost 50lbs 2 years ago now I see it all returning again. I am keeping this a secret from my family so maybe I just need to talk this out and I will feel fine.

Thinking about cancelling surgery

Don't cancel your surgery. The procedure takes less than an hour. I went home the same day. You will be fine and in six months time, you will be telling everyone what a great decision this was.

I have lost 98 pounds in 19 months.

Thanks Carlene. I hope you are right. I meet with the surgeron on July 10 2006. I hope he has a hour to answer all my questions. The one good thing is that he is the same doctor who did my Gallbladder surgery and everything went really well.

Maybe you should discuss this with your family. It is a major decision that you can hopefully get some input and support from you love ones with. The best of luck to you.

Kelley B

I know how you feel. I cancelled my 1st appointment for the lap-band a couple weeks ago. I did start going to OA meeting, where I have met several people who have had huge wieghtloss success without surgery. That gives me hope! I have not shut the door on the lap-band, I just really need to give healthy eating and exercise an honest effort. I have many bad habits to break and new habits to learn when it comes to my relationship with food. I think OA will be very helpful whether I decide to reschedule surgery or not. There are people at these meetings who have had WLS but still needed more to reach there goals and the meetings are giving them that.

Good luck to you in what ever you choose, I wish you the best!!

Thanks so much for the support. I am still deciding. I feel like such a loser not being able to keep my weight down. And also for feeling like this is my only way out. Maybe others feel / felt the same way. I have some soul searching to do and fast

Babyjessica,

Please don't feel that way, you are a wonderful person. You might have some issues to deal with but that's a part of life. I know it's easy to way but, love yourself, because you are perfect in every way.

Kelley B:)

I have been researching lap band & RNY surgery, and lap band is less invasive with less complications. I am going with lap band & feel peace with my decision. I hope you the best with your decison.

I had my band put in 4 weeks ago. As far as the surgery went it was perfect:D . Believe me I sent out the same question as you. I was so scared. I wrote out letters to my loved ones and said I love u to my mom. When they put me under they didn't even tell me. They laid me down and I was crying quietly. The nurse smiled and said I would be fine. Then the happy medication man came and said he was gonna make me feel less nervous:nervous , then he told me to breath in to the mask, I did. Well the next thing I knew was I was in recovery. It was like seconds. Yes I was uncomfortable in the port area and scared. I just remember trying to raise my hands in the air and saying "drugs now!!!" and getting them,and falling asleep. Then saying "more drugs", then falling asleep again. Then saying "give me better drugs" and the nurse saying "I did honey, your gonna overdose" She was kidding I think. The point of this dragged out story my friend is before you know it your gonna have some great drugs:clap2: .lol. just kidding. The point is it is worth it and it is over before you know it. It really is safe. You will do fine.

Ive been under a few times the last time my lungs collasped . So Im hoping for a better show this time. Im sure all will go well . Thank you for your advise Hedwig..

Thanks so much for the support. I am still deciding. I feel like such a loser not being able to keep my weight down. And also for feeling like this is my only way out. Maybe others feel / felt the same way. I have some soul searching to do and fast

I had my gall bladder out 2 years ago and was up and around the next day. Last Friday I had knee surgery and I was up and around the next day. I'm having my banding done on July 18, and I'm hoping I'm up and around just as fast. This is a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself. You may need to pamper yourself for a couple days, but I bet you will feel better than expected.

God Bless,

Dody

I wish you the best to Doty we all deserve it!!! I to have had many knee surgeries last one being a replacement . Im pulling to being up quickly as I have two kids that keep me running..

Jessica,

Don't cancel your appointment. The procedure is the easy part. I couldn't keep my weight down either and it kept creeping up. I, too, felt I was a loser and knew that this was something that I had to do for me. I didn't find this site until after my surgery. Everyone here is sooooooooo supportive because they know exactly how you are feeling. I was up and around a few hours after surgery.

You are a good person. You will be in our thoughts on your surgery day. Keep your chin up and we will see you soon in "bandland"

Smiles.

Hey everyone. I went for my consultation today. I cancel my July 12, 2006 date because 1. I was scared and 2. My mom is scheduled to go out of town July 13, 2006 and I forgot that. I realized that I can't do this alone. I am single with a 4 y/o. I didn't reschedule the surgery but was really impressed with the surgeon and his staff. The surgeon did my Gallbladder surgery and did a great job.

One of his staff member talked to me about the surgery. She is a lapband patient also. She let me feel her port site and told me some things about how she eats (a concern of mine). She said that I could call her with any problems that I may have. The doctor came in and explained everything with me ie complications slippage, erosion, GERD, N/V. He said that fills are done slowly to limit some of the problems. He hasn't had a slippage in a long time (not saying it won't happen).

My mom accompanied me to the visit. She was suprised by the cost of the surgery. She said to do it if it will make me feel better, but that the cost would be a problem for her. I need to talk with my boyfriend again. He is out of town and won't be back until next Monday. So I will decide then. He called today to say since I mention I wanted to do this he has seen so many articles on WLS.

I am leaning toward surgery for August 02, 2006. I will keep everyone posted on my decision. I am not as scared like I was before the consultation. But I do know one thing I hate my size and I hate that i continue to do this yo yo wight loss thing.